No DH in the NL this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DH in the NL this year

I personally cant wait to see Drew Smyly take some at bats. Maybe check out Trevor Bauer running the bases.

MLB can be so stupid sometimes.

According to Keyser, the league will keep seven-inning doubleheaders and the runner on second base in extra innings around during the upcoming campaign. However, there will not be a universal designated hitter in 2021, meaning pitchers will go back to hitting for at least another season as the league and the union negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement before ’22 (Sherman confirms Keyser’s report).
    Feb. 9: The league has formally announced this year's health-and-safety agreement. The on-field alterations include the return of seven-inning doubleheaders …

I really came around to the idea of the DH. Was kinda looking forward to it, even.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

This has me so bummed today...ugh

Comment

Admittedly, the chances are waning, but it's still up for negotiation. Universal DH isn't classified as a COVID-19 safety issue so it wasn't included - at least that's the party line.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

According to labor attorneys, if they open up negotiation on the Universal DH, they essentially open up the entire labor agreement. And that is decidedly NOT in the players best interests at this time, not for what might be 15 jobs, but most likely would be half that with clubs just using existing roster members for a DH. There's just no incentive for the MLBPA to open up the agreement at this time. They can get a full year in (covid provided) and ready for a bloody off season prior to 2022.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Eugene Freedman backed off some of the implications of negotiating the universal DH - it's still possible without opening Pandora's Box like initially suggested.

Comment

I'm more annoyed by the 7 inning double headers and runner on second base for extra innings. The COVID reasoning for these rules is stupid. The players have already be around each other for several hours.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I'm more annoyed by the 7 inning double headers and runner on second base for extra innings. The COVID reasoning for these rules is stupid. The players have already be around each other for several hours.
                Really? I kind of liked those changes, too. The Dodgers won games with a leadoff 2 run HR as well as a leadoff sac fly. Awesome.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                  Really? I kind of liked those changes, too. The Dodgers won games with a leadoff 2 run HR as well as a leadoff sac fly. Awesome.
                  It's not real baseball. The 7 inning double headers annoy me more. From a fantasy perspective players miss out on a good number of at bats and starting pitchers can get screwed with wins as they are less likely to go 5 innings.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It's not real baseball. The 7 inning double headers annoy me more. From a fantasy perspective players miss out on a good number of at bats and starting pitchers can get screwed with wins as they are less likely to go 5 innings.
                    Sounds more like a fantasy baseball issue than a real baseball issue.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      My fantasy leagues even allow rain-outs!

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Yes and no. Yes, it impacts fantasy games. But I find 7 innings too short. Baseball is a marathon; 162 games and 9 innings a game. A lot can happen in those last two innings. It just completely changes the way pitchers are used. You only need your starter for 4 innings and the bullpen for the rest. That's not how baseball was designed to be played.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yes and no. Yes, it impacts fantasy games. But I find 7 innings too short. Baseball is a marathon; 162 games and 9 innings a game. A lot can happen in those last two innings. It just completely changes the way pitchers are used. You only need your starter for 4 innings and the bullpen for the rest. That's not how baseball was designed to be played.
                          The other, perhaps even more common occurrence was a starter for 6 and in comes the closer.

Comment

If trying to shorten extra inning games, I wondered why they didn't go the hockey route, and pull one player off the field (i.e. no shortstop). The player can still bat in the lineup, but they can't field a position. Of course that would screw up pitchers ratios, so I guess there are other considerations. It could be interesting to watch, though.
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I can see your wanting to keep things status quo, I'm not.

For me it's about enjoying the game, which I do whether or not it's a 5 inning rainout or a 15 inning affair. I really don't ever think about extra PAs or IPs.

I enjoy some of the changes, the universal DH, Replay, Bat Flips. Some not so much, the Shift, Openers, only allowing a starter twice through a line up. But those aren't deal breakers.

The 7 inning double header and Extra innings don't vex me, I'm pretty indifferent about em. BUT I can see how some people want to keep it status quo.

As someone who watches almost every inning of every game (that I can) a few innings here or there aren't really noticeable.

I'm also for an automated strike zone.

Again, I can see your POV and I hope it doesn't diminish your enjoyment too much.

Play Ball!
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X