Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In roto, can you have too many players from the same team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In roto, can you have too many players from the same team?

In my main league, I have Acuna and Albies on cheap contracts, top value guys. (Yeah, you knew which team it would be, lol.) I also have Freeman slightly below value on what amounts to an option year (we don't usually have them, but we have some weird special rules for last year and this year). I can keep d'Arnaud for $7 as well. That's more or less at value or slightly above because it is a one catcher league (16 tm, mixed, 5x5). I wouldn't even think of keeping him except that Realmuto, Smith, Sanchez, Perez, and Contreras are already kept, and d'Arnaud is the top catcher at the auction if I don't keep him (more or less tied with Garver, then there is the glob of crap).

However, I also like Ozuna this year as a draft target (someone here whose name rhymes with my city, NOLA, seems to like him, too). I do worry that that is way too many hitters from the same team. But then again, I am not sure it matters in roto. In H2H, I can see the obvious, huge problem---too many from the same team running into a bunch of good pitchers in the playoffs can be deadly. But in roto, that doesn't matter. Am I over thinking this? Or is there a problem with having too many hitters from the same team?

Depends. Hate qualifying but if you are keeping 1-5 on a good offense (or 5 of top 6 hitters) then I think its ok. Braves are a good offense and even if d'Arnaud hits lower he's still a top-10 C option.

Comment

Mets have a rep for bad medical staff so if you bought into that sort of thing I suppose you might not want to load up on them.

Colorado guys at the risk they move out high priced guys an lose their Coors factor.

A team like the Braves doesn't pose any real threats.

Comment

In the COVID-19 era, you could run into an issue where a team doesn't complete their schedule, or plays a ton of twinbills, but other than that, there isn't a reason to avoid stacking.
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

The goal is to get the best players/values. If they come from the same team, so be it.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
            In the COVID-19 era, you could run into an issue where a team doesn't complete their schedule, or plays a ton of twinbills, but other than that, there isn't a reason to avoid stacking.
            That's definitely true. If they end up playing a bunch of 7 inning doubleheaders you could lose a good chunk of ABs.

Generally, it's only a concern if they're cannibalizing each other's playing time. Which doesn't seem to be the case for the guys you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
              This. We have a player in one of my leagues who's a huge Cards fan, so he was burned pretty badly last year. Being the kind, considerate people we are, we've renamed the last-place trophy the "Cards No-Show Award".
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

As Todd says, in the covid Era you can lose entire weeks.
                Not a huge deal in roto, but deadly in H2H
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

In roto, simply no.

Comment

Working...
                  X