Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Proposes to Delay the Season

.....here we go again

"Although the COVID-19 pandemic continues unchecked throughout the United States, spring training is scheduled to open in a little more than two weeks. MLB hopes to delay the start of the 2021 season but can not do so unilaterally, so, as of right now, spring training and Opening Day are on schedule.

That could soon change. Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports MLB has recently proposed framework for a delayed 154-game season to the MLBPA. Here are the key details from the proposal:

154-game season with full pay for players
    Season delayed one month and extended one week
    Expanded postseason

Spring training would begin March 28, according to ESPN's Buster Olney, and Opening Day would be moved back to April 28. The Wall Street Journal's Jared Diamond adds the expanded postseason would include 14 teams, not 16 like last season.

Delaying the season a month and extending the season a week suggests there would be doubleheaders scheduled throughout the season, even with eight games being chopped off the schedule. Presumably, the universal DH, seven-inning doubleheaders and extra-innings tiebreaker rule are included in MLB's proposal.

Brown says the players union is mulling over MLB's proposal and it should be noted the MLBPA recently rejected an offer that would have given them the universal DH in exchange for an expanded postseason. The new 154-game season proposal is essentially the same offer, only with eight fewer games and a delayed start. "

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the MLBPA is expected to reject the proposal MLB extended at their meeting last Friday.
    MLB proposed a 154-game schedule with full pay, with spring training starting on March 22nd and the regular season on April 28. It would include an expanded postseason field of 14 teams (down from 16 in 2020) and the universal designated hitter. The MLBPA's decision to reject the proposal isn't a surprise, as they've never been keen on expanded playoffs in exchange for the universal DH, believing the former is much more beneficial to MLB than the latter is to the players. Nightengale hears that the proposal also gives commissioner Rob Manfred expanded authority to suspend the season, something the union also surely isn't crazy about. The MLBPA is expected to formally inform MLB of its decision on Monday, per Nightengale. It's not clear whether they will submit a counterproposal at that time.

SOURCE: USA Today
    Jan 31, 2021, 3:34 PM ET

Comment

It does not seem like that unreasonable a proposal to me.

Comment

Billionaires vs Millionaires......again.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I tend to agree. Realistically they are not getting in 162 no matter how hard they try. I think the players are hesitant to accept that. Getting paid for 162 is a win for them, as is the DH (though a small one), but I'm sure they want a bigger cut of that expanded post-season revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            I tend to agree. Realistically they are not getting in 162 no matter how hard they try. I think the players are hesitant to accept that. Getting paid for 162 is a win for them, as is the DH (though a small one), but I'm sure they want a bigger cut of that expanded post-season revenue.
            Yeah, MLBPA is probably thinking they have an extra month now to hammer out a deal. So, why not try to get a bigger slice of the post-season pie before agreeing to anything.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Yeah, MLBPA is probably thinking they have an extra month now to hammer out a deal. So, why not try to get a bigger slice of the post-season pie before agreeing to anything.
              Especially with the CBA expiring at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Agree. If they didn't get universal DH, that might be the one nibble I'd go back for if I were the union. Manfred already has power to suspend the season, but if this one comes with the suspension means pro-rata pay, then the union might push back on that too, which I'd understand.

I suspect joncarlos is right that they could get a bigger slice of the 2021 post-season pie if they want to slug it out for a month. I'm just not sure that's worth it in terms of public support going into contract negotiations.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Agree. If they didn't get universal DH, that might be the one nibble I'd go back for if I were the union. Manfred already has power to suspend the season, but if this one comes with the suspension means pro-rata pay, then the union might push back on that too, which I'd understand.

I suspect joncarlos is right that they could get a bigger slice of the 2021 post-season pie if they want to slug it out for a month. I'm just not sure that's worth it in terms of public support going into contract negotiations.
                  I'm guessing they are going to make the expanded playoffs a big deal. If they basically trade that to get the universal DH I think they will have no chance to get the things they really want in the next CBA.

Comment

This seems like the beginning of a mewling term pact.

Comment

It could be as simple as players already getting in shape for spring training, expecting it to start on time, and the fact that all other sports are playing now, even college. Despite the idea, the real reason to push things back a month is to have more fans in the stands (i.e. more money for the owners). One thing I am pretty sure about is that once Spring Training starts, the season won't be pushed back---I don't think anyone wants to do the start/stop of last year again. They have the tests and they know the protocol. They can do a full season if they want to do one.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        It could be as simple as players already getting in shape for spring training, expecting it to start on time, and the fact that all other sports are playing now, even college. Despite the idea, the real reason to push things back a month is to have more fans in the stands (i.e. more money for the owners). One thing I am pretty sure about is that once Spring Training starts, the season won't be pushed back---I don't think anyone wants to do the start/stop of last year again. They have the tests and they know the protocol. They can do a full season if they want to do one.
                        The owners are looking for a delay to get more fans in the stands for more games. But given how badly the vaccine is going in most of the country, it's probably not worth fighting over. The players are looking for a way to get paid for 162 even though the owners can almost definitely find semi-legitimate reasons to push the season back. If it wasn't for the CBA next year I think they would have gotten this done by now, but neither side wants to commit anything that they'll have to take back in 6 months.

Comment

The MLB proposal also did not guarantee that players would be paid for 162, and gave Manfred powers to halt the season if necessary. LOL, ok.

Comment

Officially rejected tonight, and it looks like further negotiations are not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Officially rejected tonight, and it looks like further negotiations are not happening.
                              As it should. The MLBPA is right on the money here. If all the other sports leagues can do it, MLB can too.

Comment

Working...
                              X