2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, chance.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Ross officially endorsed Kimbrel as the closer to start the season. IMO, this means not only does Kimbrel start the season in the closer role (which makes sense, as Wick won't start ST at full strength), but likely means the Cubs aren't bringing in any RP help that would be considered an alternative to Kimbrel, meaning Jeffress and Greene probably aren't under consideration.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Ross officially endorsed Kimbrel as the closer to start the season. IMO, this means not only does Kimbrel start the season in the closer role (which makes sense, as Wick won't start ST at full strength), but likely means the Cubs aren't bringing in any RP help that would be considered an alternative to Kimbrel, meaning Jeffress and Greene probably aren't under consideration.
        Or Rosenthal.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Kimbrel's first four outings obviously happened, they can't be ignored (23.63 ERA, 4.13 WHIP with 2K in 2.2 IP). However, the rest of the season, Kimbrel posted a 1.42 ERA and 0.87 WHIP with 26 K (and 7 BB) in 12.2 frames.
          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

• I started to do research on closers, and man, does it seem to anyone else to be the worst year ever for the position?

There's only like 3-5 "sure things;" a handful of mid-tier guys who can go either way; a bunch of corpses who were somehow revived and flourished; and a bunch of jobs that may be total closer by committee.

I don't know if it makes sense to just bite the bullet and grab one of the sure things early, or take a chance on some of those lower tier guys and hold your breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              There's only like 3-5 "sure things;" a handful of mid-tier guys who can go either way; a bunch of corpses who were somehow revived and flourished; and a bunch of jobs that may be total closer by committee.
              I came to the same conclusions

Although I'm not sure I make it to 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                I started to do research on closers, and man, does it seem to anyone else to be the worst year ever for the position?

I don't know if it makes sense to just bite the bullet and grab one of the sure things early, or take a chance on some of those lower tier guys and hold your breath.
                If you're drafting soon, I'd hope that not everyone has adjusted for Rosenthal signing.

I'm hoping to shop in the "maybe not the most elite arm, but has a job" tier - Kenley, Pressley, Iglesias, Rosenthal, maybe Montero or Hand.

EDIT to add - I'm starting to become convinced that Kimbrel is actually good and a sneaky fit in this group.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  If you're drafting soon, I'd hope that not everyone has adjusted for Rosenthal signing.

I'm hoping to shop in the "maybe not the most elite arm, but has a job" tier - Kenley, Pressley, Iglesias, Rosenthal, maybe Montero or Hand.

EDIT to add - I'm starting to become convinced that Kimbrel is actually good and a sneaky fit in this group.
                  In my current DC league, which started late last week, Rosenthal went in Rd. 6, right after Hand and before Karnichak, Pressly, Jansen, Yates and Kimbrel in that order.

Personally, in a DC league I think you need to get one in that top 12 with decent job security and then speculate on the second closer. That way you arent spending too much but you also have some degree of competitiveness in the category, and if you get lucky with the second one you can come in top 3.

Comment

• I think I'd classify them like this:

Sure Things
                    Hader
                    Chapman
                    Hendriks

Solid but Could Still Falter
                    Hand
                    Yates
                    Jansen
                    Iglesias
                    Colome

Has the Job, But Could be Replaced with a Couple of Blowups
                    Diaz
                    Pressly
                    Soria
                    Montero

We *Think* He Has the Job
                    Smith
                    Karinchak
                    Rodriguez
                    Harvey
                    McGee

Has the Job But Really Isn't Very Good
                    Kimbrel
                    Barnes
                    LeClerc

Revived Corpses
                    Rosenthal
                    Holland
                    Bard

Flip a Coin
                    STL - Gallegos, Hicks
                    SD - Pomeranz, Melancon, Kela, Pagan
                    TB - Anderson, Castillo
                    CIN - Garrett, Doolittle, Sims
                    MIA - Bass, Garcia, Floro, Curtis
                    PHI - Bradley, Neris, Alvarado

Comment

• I think Rosenthal is safely in the second category. He'd have been a revived corpse last year.

Comment

• Even Hader, who is at the top of that list, has problems. He has given up > 2 HR/9 over his last 75 IP. In 2020 his strikeouts were down and walks were up. He's still filthy but headed in the wrong direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          I think Rosenthal is safely in the second category. He'd have been a revived corpse last year.
                          Rosenthal has 29 IP total since 2017. I'm optimistic, but I think the 2nd category is too high.

Comment

• Perhaps, i'm biased since i have him as a $1 keeper, but i think Rosenthal is going to end up in the 2nd tier of closers.

ETA: Agree with Pauly on Trevor.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              I think Rosenthal is safely in the second category. He'd have been a revived corpse last year.
                              I think he's safer than Holland and Bard, and while you could be right, the fact is in three of the four prior seasons he was garbage and left for dead.

Comment

• ETA-
                                I think Bass should be in the coin flip category with Garcia and Floro and even Curtiss.

I think also the Phillies situation with Bradley, Neris, Kintzler, Alvarado is a coin flip.

ETA again-
                                Nobody actually believes in Will Smith as a full time closer, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X