2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
    Isn't the combination of Hader and Williams the equivalent of a top tier SP, just with Saves instead of Wins? One system projects the following combined stats for them: 10W, 41S, 153 IP, 234K, 2.57 ERA, 0.96 WHIP. That's like getting deGrom's stats in his 2018 & 2019 Cy Young seasons...plus adding Saves to the mix.
    Yeah, but for 2 spots.

deGrom + a 30 round MR that you started all year would get you ... I don't know, 17 W, 3 Sv, 260 IP, 1.00 WHIP, 2.70 ERA, 330 K?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Yeah, but for 2 spots.

deGrom + a 30 round MR that you started all year would get you ... I don't know, 17 W, 3 Sv, 260 IP, 1.00 WHIP, 2.70 ERA, 330 K?
      exactly, the opportunity cost of that roster spot is not 0.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yeah, but for 2 spots.

But that requires taking deGrom in the 1st round AND hitting on a really good 30th round MR, who would project to have around 4W, 3 Sv, 1.10 WHIP, 3.00 ERA and 60K in 50 IP. Hader plus Williams frees up your first round pick for something else.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        exactly, the opportunity cost of that roster spot is not 0.
        Agreed, but is the value of equivalent stats from a second first round pick worth giving up a 5th plus a 12th? Remember, you're getting the stats from whomever you would draft instead of deGrom, plus deGrom's equivalent stats (though with fewer innings which lessens the ERA and WHIP benefit), plus 41 saves.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Agreed, but is the value of equivalent stats from a second first round pick worth giving up a 5th plus a 12th? Remember, you're getting the stats from whomever you would draft instead of deGrom, plus deGrom's equivalent stats (though with fewer innings which lessens the ERA and WHIP benefit), plus 41 saves.
          I'm simply talking about comparing 2 players against 1. It's generally not useful to do, you are ignoring the other spot on your roster. I'm not referring to drafting, but instead to using all of your available players.

If you are using up 2 spots to get the stats of 1, then you are falling behind.

Also in your analogy on the draft side, you left out getting a 5th and 12th round pick if you *dont* take Hader and Williams, which is significant, similar to your example of the player you would get instead of DeGrom.

Ultimately it's rarely useful to compare the combined stats of 2 players against 1 other player. It really just doesn't tell you anything at all.

Comment

What was that strategy called? The "three MRs equal one stud SP" one? It used to get discussed a lot around here, maybe by our esteemed Rogue himself. I remember discussion revolving around creating the equivalent of Johan Santana with a combination of late / cheap MRs, which certainly dates me.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I'm simply talking about comparing 2 players against 1. It's generally not useful to do, you are ignoring the other spot on your roster. I'm not referring to drafting, but instead to using all of your available players.

If you are using up 2 spots to get the stats of 1, then you are falling behind.

Also in your analogy on the draft side, you left out getting a 5th and 12th round pick if you *dont* take Hader and Williams, which is significant, similar to your example of the player you would get instead of DeGrom.

Ultimately it's rarely useful to compare the combined stats of 2 players against 1 other player. It really just doesn't tell you anything at all.
              That's a fair and valid point. I guess the true comparison is whether 1) a 1st round player, plus using the 5th and 12th round picks in a way that adds up to deGrom's stats PLUS 41 saves is a better use of resources than 2) actually drafting deGrom, plus the stats you'd get from whomever you get with your 5th and 12th round picks.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                What was that strategy called? The "three MRs equal one stud SP" one? It used to get discussed a lot around here, maybe by our esteemed Rogue himself. I remember discussion revolving around creating the equivalent of Johan Santana with a combination of late / cheap MRs, which certainly dates me.
                I certainly can't take credit for it. Didn't Ron Shandler promote it on his site, some time back?
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

I certainly can't take credit for it. Didn't Ron Shandler promote it on his site, some time back?
                  Paul Sporer did an analysis on it in his younger days on here, and then Bodhezifa also did one. I can't remember which was more in depth. Given the lower innings SPs are throwing now, it may well merit a re-check.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Paul Sporer did an analysis on it in his younger days on here, and then Bodhezifa also did one. I can't remember which was more in depth. Given the lower innings SPs are throwing now, it may well merit a re-check.
                    The LIMA (low investment mound ace) plan! Honestly, I think that plan is more relevant than ever for 2021. Relievers are going to be crucial this year.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

The LIMA (low investment mound ace) plan! Honestly, I think that plan is more relevant than ever for 2021. Relievers are going to be crucial this year.
                      You're right - they didn't look at it that way, it was more of a "who and how many MRs do I need to equal a top tier SP", but it fits that mentality perfectly. And I agree on RP's completely with you. I expect vulture wins to be greater than ever this year.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

You're right - they didn't look at it that way, it was more of a "who and how many MRs do I need to equal a top tier SP", but it fits that mentality perfectly. And I agree on RP's completely with you. I expect vulture wins to be greater than ever this year.
                        Taking a stab at some projections. A squad heavy with MR types points to:

Wins - middle of pack (need to click on right guys and not realistic to beat those teams that invest in high end starters)
                        ERA and WHIP - middleish (these are not your high end guys)
                        K - lower end
                        S - lower end

Say in a 10 teamer if you're the only one using this strategy and all goes real well that you get 6(W)+7+7(ERA and WHIP)+3(K)+2(S) = 25 pitching points. Might get lucky in saves here and there and pick up an extra couple of points or possibly get a closer. for part of the year In a "normal" year with this system wins and K's would be lower by 3 or 4 points due to less innings.

Say best case 28 of 50 points this year for minimal investment. Tilting more to long relievers might result a bit differently.

Does anyone have stats on the overall % of points typically needed to finish in the top 10%, 20%, 30%?

Comment

We have daily moves, a 13 man reserve roster (that is drafted after the auction), and $100 worth of FAAB (for the year). If I have a competitive team (not rebuilding) I will load up my reserve roster with MR's and move them in and out to maximize their innings. This is opposed to a rebuilding year where I will grab as many prospects instead.

This gets me "more" of all pitching stats (if I guess right). I do not have to sacrifice the idea of a two or three for one roster spot dilemma. It can also allows me to grab a pitcher that might get high K's and wins but lousy era and whip as the streaming will help balance that out.

Not lima but does allow me to make an extra good starter out of two or three relievers.

Comment

Without looking, guess which pitcher induced the lowest hard hit rate in baseball last year.

Comment

Without looking, guess which pitcher induced the lowest hard hit rate in baseball last year.
                              Tallion.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Tallion.
                                uhhh, Pedro Martinez

Comment

Working...
                                X