2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Crichton pitched the best, Soria left hurt and Devinski almost blew the save.
    I thought Devenski looked really good, especially for his first outing of the season. He gave up a 2 out HR to Tatis with a 3-0 lead and no one on base so he didn't almost blow it (IMO)... Anyway, his change up was just nasty, it moves so much - Profar was fooled so bad on that 2-2 count changeup that he basically flung his bat at it with the bat ending up at the pitchers mound / then the second strike change up to Croenenworth made him look totally silly and then threw him another change up and he barely manged to get a bat on it for a weak ground ball out. His FB was hitting 92-93. Devenski looks like he did during his peak years with the Astos... And, it looks like they were saving Devenski for the 9th inning.

Chichton looked good but it seems there was a lot more hard contact made on his pitches (especially Tatis' one hop liner to SS). He gave up two hits in .2 IP. The strike 3 on Mateo was a really nice 2 seamer though. Plus they pulled him with two outs - any thoughts on why? He didn't pitch the day before...

Soria - first pitch to Machado was 93 FB where he missed his low target and left it uppermiddle / middle that was hit hard to RF warning track, Hosmer pitch one was a nice 94 FB that hit the catcher's low spot for a GB 3-1 out. First pitch to PHam he missed his spot and left it up in the zone over the middle - he got lucky Pham only fouled it off. Then 94 low and OS, 93 low, 93 low and OS called for a strike (bad call by ump), 94 inside missed his spot badly, 79 missed badly OS with slider for ball 4. Myers nice 79 CB KLooking, nice 75 CB but missed low, 94 FB hit OS corner but didn't get the call, 81 slider pretty far OS but Myers swung and whiffed, 74 slider missed spot and was inside now full count, 94 FB hit his low OS spot but Myers lined hard but just foul to RF, stillfullcount, 82 missed really, really bad wild pitch for ball 4 and bounced it off of two backstops. I don't see how they have any confidence in Soria after that outing.

Ginkel pitching to Campusano - nice 96 FB with 2 seam mvmt,another 96 nice pitch KSWG, then 97 touch low but ump gave him the call for K3Looking... He looked really good on his 3 fastballs so I am not sure why they didn't leave Ginkel in for the 9th(he didn't pitch the day before but did pitch Apr 1 and Apr 2) but went with Devenski instead.

I have to think they have confidence in the old vet Devenski for the 9th, at this point in the season.

edit - Devenski had an outstanding spring training camp so it's not like this came out of nowhere... 7IP 7K, 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP
    Damn, Devenski is only 30. Seems like he's been around forever...
    Last edited by southcoast; 04-04-2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by southcoast View Post
      I thought Devenski looked really good, especially for his first outing of the season. He gave up a 2 out HR to Tatis with a 3-0 lead and no one on base so he didn't almost blow it (IMO)... Anyway, his change up was just nasty, it moves so much - Profar was fooled so bad on that 2-2 count changeup that he basically flung his bat at it with the bat ending up at the pitchers mound / then the second strike change up to Croenenworth made him look totally silly and then threw him another change up and he barely manged to get a bat on it for a weak ground ball out. His FB was hitting 92-93. Devenski looks like he did during his peak years with the Astos... And, it looks like they were saving Devenski for the 9th inning.

Chichton looked good but it seems there was a lot more hard contact made on his pitches (especially Tatis' one hop liner to SS). He gave up two hits in .2 IP. The strike 3 on Mateo was a really nice 2 seamer though. Plus they pulled him with two outs - any thoughts on why? He didn't pitch the day before...

Soria - first pitch to Machado was 93 FB where he missed his low target and left it uppermiddle / middle that was hit hard to RF warning track, Hosmer pitch one was a nice 94 FB that hit the catcher's low spot for a GB 3-1 out. First pitch to PHam he missed his spot and left it up in the zone over the middle - he got lucky Pham only fouled it off. Then 94 low and OS, 93 low, 93 low and OS called for a strike (bad call by ump), 94 inside missed his spot badly, 79 missed badly OS with slider for ball 4. Myers nice 79 CB KLooking, nice 75 CB but missed low, 94 FB hit OS corner but didn't get the call, 81 slider pretty far OS but Myers swung and whiffed, 74 slider missed spot and was inside now full count, 94 FB hit his low OS spot but Myers lined hard but just foul to RF, stillfullcount, 82 missed really, really bad wild pitch for ball 4 and bounced it off of two backstops. I don't see how they have any confidence in Soria after that outing.

Ginkel nice 96 FB with 2 seam mvmt,another 96 nice pitch KSWG, then 97 touch low but ump gave him the call for K3Looking... He looked really good on his 3 fastballs so I am not sure why they didn't leave Ginkel in for the 9th(he didn't pitch the day before but did pitch Apr 1 and Apr 2) but went with Devenski instead.

I have to think they have confidence in the old vet Devenski for the 9th, at this point in the season.
      Great post, thanks.

Comment

Ginkel pitching to Campusano - nice 96 FB with 2 seam mvmt,another 96 nice pitch KSWG, then 97 touch low but ump gave him the call for K3Looking... He looked really good on his 3 fastballs so I am not sure why they didn't leave Ginkel in for the 9th(he didn't pitch the day before but did pitch Apr 1 and Apr 2) but went with Devenski instead.

edit - Devenski had an outstanding spring training camp so it's not like this came out of nowhere... 7IP 7K, 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP
        Damn, Devenski is only 30. Seems like he's been around forever...
        You're take is far more informed than mine0--I was listening on the radio and watching on Gamecast (MLBTV Blackout sadly) Much of the talk was how inconsistent the home plate ump was and from their perspective, Devenski got a few calls. Thanks for setting it straight. Hopefully I can start watching once they move out of market.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

You're take is far more informed than mine0--I was listening on the radio and watching on Gamecast (MLBTV Blackout sadly) Much of the talk was how inconsistent the home plate ump was and from their perspective, Devenski got a few calls. Thanks for setting it straight. Hopefully I can start watching once they move out of market.
          You're welcome.
          I have always appreciated your Padre news and updates. I was on this board a long time ago before it was Rotojunkie FIX and there was always good info to be found.
          Why is it "fix" now? what happened to the regular Rotojunkie board that it had to become rotojunkie fix? Just curious...

Comment

You're welcome.
            I have always appreciated your Padre news and updates. I was on this board a long time ago before it was Rotojunkie FIX and there was always good info to be found.
            Why is it "fix" now? what happened to the regular Rotojunkie board that it had to become rotojunkie fix? Just curious...
            This might not be exact, but I believe the Old RJ crew sold the site to another group of guys who were supposed to run it/merge it with their stuff, but that never happened. When Jason and the new guys decided to try and bring RJ back, they couldn't get the original website/domain name (and all the old content) without paying a big dollar ransom, so they relaunched as RJ Fix. Anyhow, some of us are still here for baseball, even though much of what we used to get special from RJ is now somewhat commonly available lots of places, but we still get some tidbits from each other now and then--like your analysis of that RP sequence today--it's stuff like that which gives all of us still he a slight edge on the competition.

Also, Jason and crew recently sold the site to Todd Zola and Masterball but unlike the previous sale, Todd has pledged to keep things as is and enhance the site and content when and how he can.

I might be off on some details and those IN the know can set em straight if they want to.

Welcome back and don't spend too much on Devenski in tonight's FAAB!
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This might not be exact, but I believe the Old RJ crew sold the site to another group of guys who were supposed to run it/merge it with their stuff, but that never happened. When Jason and the new guys decided to try and bring RJ back, they couldn't get the original website/domain name (and all the old content) without paying a big dollar ransom, so they relaunched as RJ Fix. Anyhow, some of us are still here for baseball, even though much of what we used to get special from RJ is now somewhat commonly available lots of places, but we still get some tidbits from each other now and then--like your analysis of that RP sequence today--it's stuff like that which gives all of us still he a slight edge on the competition.

Also, Jason and crew recently sold the site to Todd Zola and Masterball but unlike the previous sale, Todd has pledged to keep things as is and enhance the site and content when and how he can.

I might be off on some details and those IN the know can set em straight if they want to.

Welcome back and don't spend too much on Devenski in tonight's FAAB!
              Exactly. Rotojunkie was bought by Fanball and they did nothing with us and would not release the site back to us. Hence the new name.

Lord Zola is the Supreme Funklord and we look forward to the funk.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• A's manager Bob Melvin acknowledged Wednesday that Trevor Rosenthal (shoulder) may need surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Karinchak gets 1 out in the 7th of a tie game. Clase takes care of the 8th in a tie game. Wittgren now on for the save chance after the Jose Ramirez bomb. This is the first save chance for Cleveland this season.

ETA: Wittgren gets it done in 8 pitches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    Karinchak gets 1 out in the 7th of a tie game. Clase takes care of the 8th in a tie game. Wittgren now on for the save chance after the Jose Ramirez bomb. This is the first save chance for Cleveland this season.

ETA: Wittgren gets it done in 8 pitches.
                    A couple of notes (I was watching the last few innings):
                    The final out was Michael Taylor hitting a ball to the warning track in left centre that Wittgren thought was gone - the look on his face when he saw it caught was great
                    Clase was dealing - 100 consistently on the outside while dropping in a few curves
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      A couple of notes (I was watching the last few innings):
                      The final out was Michael Taylor hitting a ball to the warning track in left centre that Wittgren thought was gone - the look on his face when he saw it caught was great
                      Clase was dealing - 100 consistently on the outside while dropping in a few curves
                      yea but those 3 KC hitters were swinging at Clase's breaking stuff that was way outside the strike zone. A better disciplined hitter would likely have fared better. he faced Santana .211, Perez .211 and Soler .133 ave.

Comment

• Chris Devenski has been placed on the restricted list for personal reasons according to the Diamondbacks and is not COVID related.
                        No further details were given at this time. Devenski's velocity was noticeably down during his outing on Tuesday with a more than five-mile-per-hour drop in his fastball and changeup, but this seems to be unrelated to performance. More to come.

SOURCE: Zach Buchanan on Twitter
                        Apr 7, 2021, 8:31 PM ET

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Chris Devenski has been placed on the restricted list for personal reasons according to the Diamondbacks and is not COVID related.
                          No further details were given at this time. Devenski's velocity was noticeably down during his outing on Tuesday with a more than five-mile-per-hour drop in his fastball and changeup, but this seems to be unrelated to performance. More to come.

SOURCE: Zach Buchanan on Twitter
                          Apr 7, 2021, 8:31 PM ET
                          I didnt think someone could be placed on the restricted list for an injury...? I thought it was for DUIs and domestic violence and stuff like that

Comment

• I know they confiscated a ball from Trevor Bauers start, maybe it's something similar?

Totally guessing here

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I didnt think someone could be placed on the restricted list for an injury...? I thought it was for DUIs and domestic violence and stuff like that
                              And also, a 5mph drop in velocity?

Comment

not assuming this is for this particular player, but all sports are trying to get away from Neanderthal thinking on mental health issues. and that's not the only possible variable. this is not a suspension
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X