2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
    20/20 hindsight I know, but that always seemed like a pretty big overreach.
    I nabbed them all hoping one would close. I hope one emerges.

Comment

• Question on Anthony Bass - Mia projected closer. I watched 2 of his outings this spring and in neither one did he have any command of his breaking ball. Has he had a good breaking ball in the past (I am an NL only guy so never checked in on him before...). His fastball is not overpowering (95 without a lot of movement) and if he has no breaking ball I don't see how he survives in the NL East.

Comment

• Originally posted by southcoast View Post
        Question on Anthony Bass - Mia projected closer. I watched 2 of his outings this spring and in neither one did he have any command of his breaking ball. Has he had a good breaking ball in the past (I am an NL only guy so never checked in on him before...). His fastball is not overpowering (95 without a lot of movement) and if he has no breaking ball I don't see how he survives in the NL East.
        Im a big Miami fan. I have zero shares of Bass and like 5 shares of John Curtiss. Take that fwiw. That said, Mattingly has tended to give his chosen closer a decent leash in the past, so the Curtiss late-round deep buys are generally for much later in the year, but he looks like a solid ratios guy anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          Im a big Miami fan. I have zero shares of Bass and like 5 shares of John Curtiss. Take that fwiw. That said, Mattingly has tended to give his chosen closer a decent leash in the past, so the Curtiss late-round deep buys are generally for much later in the year, but he looks like a solid ratios guy anyway.
          Why no shares of Garcia? His stuff looks really good (IMO)... 95 FB with some mvmt and a nice slider that he seems to command pretty well. Curtiss' 2020 stats look really good though...

Comment

• Originally posted by southcoast View Post
            Why no shares of Garcia? His stuff looks really good (IMO)... 95 FB with some mvmt and a nice slider that he seems to command pretty well. Curtiss' 2020 stats look really good though...
            I guess because the price of Curtiss is more reasonable (free basically) and he has the makeup and pitch mix of a closer along with a handful of career saves.

Comment

Is Bass the projected guy to start the season based on Mattingly's quotes? That was my take, and I was really surprised - Bass' contract has some pretty serious bonuses for saves, and I figured Miami would try and avoid those.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Curtiss pitched 7 outings so far this spring. 5 against Washington and 2 against the Mets.... Sort of crazy he hasn't pitched against anyone else.
                The one televised game early in Spring he was having alot of trouble controlling his breaking ball. Hopefully he finds his groove with that pitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Is Bass the projected guy to start the season based on Mattingly's quotes? That was my take, and I was really surprised - Bass' contract has some pretty serious bonuses for saves, and I figured Miami would try and avoid those.
                  Go to Craig Mish's twitter and look at his pinned tweet - it says Bass = closer.

Those bonuses for Bass arent all that serious (see below). If they have to shell out 750K for 50 saves, you bet your ass they will be happy about it.
                  $125,000 each for 30, 35, 40, 45 games finished
                  $250,000 for 50 games finished

Comment

Go to Craig Mish's twitter and look at his pinned tweet - it says Bass = closer.

Those bonuses for Bass arent all that serious (see below). If they have to shell out 750K for 50 saves, you bet your ass they will be happy about it.
                    $125,000 each for 30, 35, 40, 45 games finished
                    $250,000 for 50 games finished
                    Yup, seems inconsequential. Also, just based on having those in the contract, I bet there was a handshake agreement before Bass signed that he'd get the closer spot.

Comment

• MIA pen is kind of good or at least interesting. Bass will likely get the first shot but Garcia, Floro and Curtiss all have potential behind him as well.

Comment

• And Girardi just named Neris the closer in PHI

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          And Girardi just named Neris the closer in PHI
                          Alvarado was the only lefty in the pen. He was a cool story, but the odds were very much against him.

Comment

• I'm surprised Archie Bradley didn't get the role.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I'm surprised Archie Bradley didn't get the role.
                              Archie Bradley never gets the role, for some reason. But Neris could force their hand there eventually. he isn't a particularly exceptional reliever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Archie Bradley never gets the role, for some reason. But Neris could force their hand there eventually. he isn't a particularly exceptional reliever.
                                He had a good spring didn't he? Also, I hear he's working on his slider. I could see him holding the job if he can keep the ball in the park. Something he had issues with.

Comment

Working...
                                X