Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Cubs have been linked to many closers via trade or FA. Chapman now off the board for 10.5M. Not sure how you let that happen Cubs.

This feels like the end game in Fantasy. Hey I got a $2 player for a buck by waiting ! Woo hoo.
    The Cubs saved you a lot of heartache by not signing Chapman. IMO you don't want that guy as your closer. Consider, Texas traded for him at the deadline last year and while he was exciting, they did not use him in key moments in the playoffs for a reason - he's not reliable. Sure he may come in today and strike out the side but tomorrow he may come in and walk 3 guys in a row to load the bases. You never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Cubs have been linked to many closers via trade or FA. Chapman now off the board for 10.5M. Not sure how you let that happen Cubs.

This feels like the end game in Fantasy. Hey I got a $2 player for a buck by waiting ! Woo hoo.
      You know things are getting bad when the penny pinching Pirates outbid your team. Seriously though, Alzolay may be just as good as Chapman at this point. He just doesn't have the name recognition.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Interesting in that the three free agents the Cubs has been linked to most frequently (based on rumors I had seen) were Hader, Hoskins and (re-signing) Bellinger. They seem to be waiting for the price to go down on each of them and another team comes along and swoops in.

As of right now, the Cubs appear to be $47 million under the competitive tax threshold. Hader and Hoskins combined new contract AAV adds to $36 million.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

You know things are getting bad when the penny pinching Pirates outbid your team. Seriously though, Alzolay may be just as good as Chapman at this point. He just doesn't have the name recognition.
          Alzolay is a lot better than Chapman.

Comment

• Dear Cubs,

Whiffing on Hoskins does not help your stare down with Bellinger. You are seriously going the wrong way. Less talk more show us.

Comment

Dear Cubs,

Whiffing on Hoskins does not help your stare down with Bellinger. You are seriously going the wrong way. Less talk more show us.
              Show you what? I'm confused why you want the Cubs to make a big splash in free agency or really add anyone significant in free agency? They have too many holes in my opinion, they need to rebuild.

What would an ideal offseason have been for you such that the Cubs had a chance of winning in 2024?

You have Michael Busch at 1B - that's the type of guy you want, not Hoskins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Show you what? I'm confused why you want the Cubs to make a big splash in free agency or really add anyone significant in free agency? They have too many holes in my opinion, they need to rebuild.

What would an ideal offseason have been for you such that the Cubs had a chance of winning in 2024?

You have Michael Busch at 1B - that's the type of guy you want, not Hoskins.
                NOT rebuilding! Just building. They have some good pieces, a lot of money or so they have said. Spend some and fill in the holes. They are $46m under cap. This is not a small market team.

By the way, I hope Busch is great, but I have my doubts.

Comment

NOT rebuilding! Just building. They have some good pieces, a lot of money or so they have said. Spend some and fill in the holes. They are $46m under cap. This is not a small market team.

By the way, I hope Busch is great, but I have my doubts.
                  That's a great way to keep a mediocre team. As a fan that's the last thing I would want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

That's a great way to keep a mediocre team. As a fan that's the last thing I would want.
                    But that model has worked well for the Rockies.

Comment

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post

But that model has worked well for the Rockies.
                      Hah, fair point. It does require competent management to rebuild. The Rockies are a laughingstock.

Comment

• Cubs sign RHP Carl Edwards Jr. to a minor league contract.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cubs add Hector Neris to their bullpen for 1 year/ $9 million. He had better numbers than Chapman last year and cost a little bit less.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• MLB.com reports that there's widespread belief that Bellinger will resign w the Cubs:

Feb. 27: Bellinger back to Cubs on 3-year deal Cody Bellinger has officially returned to the Cubs on a three-year, $80 million deal, with opt-outs after the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

Please direct your disagreements w this to MLB, not me.

Comment

• President of baseball operations, Jed Hoyer, hinted there might not be more additions coming for the Cubs during his opening Spring Training press conference.
                              Brett Taylor of Bleacher Nation summarized what Hoyer said on this front and wrote, "What inning is it in the offseason? The closer is certainly warming up, says Jed. Still in contact with free agents, may add more, but at this point we're focusing on the guys who are here."

Comment

• Cody Bellinger, J.D. Martinez, Matt Chapman, Blake Snell, and Jordan Montgomery are still waiting for a team to sign them.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X