2K21 Offseason Transactions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    huh? They must have been feeling charitable...makes zero sense.
    What makes zero sense? This is common, teams buy a player for cheap and they let him rehab year 1 so they can have him year 2. It's happened on several occasions lately.

A recent example, Texas signed Justin Anderson.

Comment

• Per Rotoworld:

JONATHAN VILLAR
      2B, NEW YORK METS

Mets signed INF Jonathan Villar to a one-year, $3.55 million contract.
      Villar also has the ability to earn more in incentives. The 29-year-old switch-hitter hit just .232/.301/.292 over 207 plate appearances last year with the Marlins and Blue Jays, but has had prior success, and has a chance for fantasy relevance if he can carve out enough playing time. Because it's unclear what kind of role he'll have to begin the season, however, it's probably best to take a wait-and-see approach. Brad Bach was designated for assignment in a corresponding move.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        What makes zero sense? This is common, teams buy a player for cheap and they let him rehab year 1 so they can have him year 2. It's happened on several occasions lately.

A recent example, Texas signed Justin Anderson.
        What makes zero sense is he had TJ in October, which means he misses this year and history says he is not back to his normal self until the year after next. They are paying him for all the rehab and basically none of the payoff, provided there is any payoff at all.

Comment

What makes zero sense is he had TJ in October, which means he misses this year and history says he is not back to his normal self until the year after next. They are paying him for all the rehab and basically none of the payoff, provided there is any payoff at all.
          I don't know what the contract is, but if they got him cheap, it isn't that bad of a gamble. While it is true that he will be out this year, the September surgery should have him back in 2022. While it does take starters 16 months or more to get right, relievers take less time, I think, so if rehab goes well, he should be fully back for the year they are paying for. If they paid him less than they would have paid him in 2022, I don't see the harm. I assume they got him at a discount, because he wanted access to facilities for rehab.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about - those rehab contracts happen almost every year, I'm surprised you haven't noticed until now. There's a few I can't remember, I wish I had a better memory, but this happens a lot.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about - those rehab contracts happen almost every year, I'm surprised you haven't noticed until now. There's a few I can't remember, I wish I had a better memory, but this happens a lot.
              Garrett Richards just came off his 2-year rehab deal with the Padres.

Comment

• Rays really got it started with Nate Eovaldi a few years ago - gave him a two-year deal so he could rehab the first year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Rays really got it started with Nate Eovaldi a few years ago - gave him a two-year deal so he could rehab the first year.
                  Jon Lieber is the first guy I remember doing it, he signed with the Yankees for 03-04 after the Cubs blew out his arm.

Comment

• The Blue Jays have reportedly signed right-handed pitcher David Phelps to a one-year, $1.75 million deal. (Mark Feinsand, MLB.com)

Comment

Twins did it with Pineda too, IIRC.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• So, Kolarek was pretty much their only non-Urias bullpen lefty besides Victor Gonzales (who is awesome). Not sure what to make of this. Neuse is primarily a 3b, which maybe means stuff for a JT return. Maybe this impacts Urias to the pen? Maybe it's just nothin'?

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Mike Clevinger with the Padres.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            So, Kolarek was pretty much their only non-Urias bullpen lefty besides Victor Gonzales (who is awesome). Not sure what to make of this. Neuse is primarily a 3b, which maybe means stuff for a JT return. Maybe this impacts Urias to the pen? Maybe it's just nothin'?
                            Neuse is a really nice get if JT isn't coming back.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Just going to point out that while there were lots of great examples of clubs investing in SP like Eovaldi and Pineda and Clevinger, not a single example was a closer. (although Im sure you will come up with some now lol)

Comment

Just going to point out that while there were lots of great examples of clubs investing in SP like Eovaldi and Pineda and Clevinger, not a single example was a closer. (although Im sure you will come up with some now lol)
                                Why does that matter? Isn't that a distinction without a difference? I mean there also haven't been any with the last name of Giles, or any that tend to punch themselves in the face, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where that is relevant.

For what it's worth, Montero was still rehabbing from TJ when he signed with Texas, although obviously further along in the process.
                                Last edited by Ken; 02-12-2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X