Most MLB games played in a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most MLB games played in a day?

Today, there were 20 MLB games played. I dont recall ever that many games being played in one day. I tried searching for the record for this, but couldnt find it. Way back when, there used to be a lot of scheduled doubleheaders late in the season, especially on Sundays, some to make up for earlier rainouts, but that was when there were a lot fewer teams in MLB so not as many games. Does anybody know the definitive answer to this?

Definitely
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If it is a record, it would probably get an asterisk since the doubleheaders this year are 7 inning games.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The last time there were 20 games in a day was 1974.

Major League Baseball had its fullest schedule in nearly a half-century Friday with 20 games set to be played, including five doubleheaders caused by postponements for weather, the coronavirus and protests of racial injustice

Comment

from that link:

"There were 12 complete games thrown that day, including nine-inning efforts by Catfish Hunter, Luis Tiant and Dave McNally. The pitching star might’ve been someone who got a no-decision — Dan Freisleben threw 13 shutout innings for San Diego against Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Tony Perez and the Cincinnati Reds.

"Only three of those 20 games back then took over 2 hours, 40 minutes."
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
          X