Lockdown Dynasty Draft Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frae View Post
    I am up for anything as far as draft format. Just got time on my hands and enjoyed doing the research for the first one.
    I'm interested but as you know I'm very against random orders. If we are doing something like KDS it should be preference based. If I'm the only one who wanted slot 9, for example, I should get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I'm interested but as you know I'm very against random orders. If we are doing something like KDS it should be preference based. If I'm the only one who wanted slot 9, for example, I should get it.
      How does that work? Do you have your own system? I know how it works on NFBC but they are running a system and are a neutral party.

Comment

How does that work? Do you have your own system? I know how it works on NFBC but they are running a system and are a neutral party.
        Yeah I have an algorithm that will run it, but basically its just an optimization engine that's shooting for everyone to get their best slot based on their choices. The easiest is the solo choices, so if you are the only person who wants pick 7, you get pick 7. When there are ties, it looks at what is left and tries to give the pick to the person who would lose the most if they did not get their preference. In other words, if you and I both want pick 7, but my 2nd choice is 6, which is available, and your 2nd choice is 8, which is already taken, you'd get pick 7.

Comment

Yeah I have an algorithm that will run it, but basically its just an optimization engine that's shooting for everyone to get their best slot based on their choices. The easiest is the solo choices, so if you are the only person who wants pick 7, you get pick 7. When there are ties, it looks at what is left and tries to give the pick to the person who would lose the most if they did not get their preference. In other words, if you and I both want pick 7, but my 2nd choice is 6, which is available, and your 2nd choice is 8, which is already taken, you'd get pick 7.
          I really am fine with any draft order or system, for me the fun is the strategy of drafting.

Comment

• I'm in but would like to see us do a 15-team league I think (or even 18 like RJEL) and maybe alter some of the rules as I emailed you Keith. Busy, but in a work from home environment doing these is easier to pull off and I kind of miss the Slack chat we had going

Comment

I really am fine with any draft order or system, for me the fun is the strategy of drafting.
              Oh I agree, I just like having some control over the 1st round pick (and 2nd), and with random order, you really don't. That's why I prefer an auction normally (although obviously difficult in this situation).

Really enjoyed the first draft regardless. As a critique I'd just change the draft order decisions. Honestly the idea of having each individual go in and choose one by one really punishes those who are last in the order. At least with some kind of KDS system it is blind, but with how it was setup on this one, those who were lucky enough to get early numbers got to go in and look and pick based on what was already taken. That's a worst case scenario, if you are one of the last few it's basically like everyone else getting to strategize and you just sit there and watch. Not fun! (but again, the rest of the draft was great)

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                I'm in but would like to see us do a 15-team league I think (or even 18 like RJEL) and maybe alter some of the rules as I emailed you Keith. Busy, but in a work from home environment doing these is easier to pull off and I kind of miss the Slack chat we had going
                Ok I posted on the slack channel. If we can get 15-18 people let's look at breaking up the major league and farm drafts. Doing two KDS draft selections with Ken's system. Go back to BA. Smaller rosters of 20 farm players with less owners would be fine. I am open to ideas.

Comment

Ok I posted on the slack channel. If we can get 15-18 people let's look at breaking up the major league and farm drafts. Doing two KDS draft selections with Ken's system. Go back to BA. Smaller rosters of 20 farm players with less owners would be fine. I am open to ideas.
                  If we have a mlb and minors draft I'd just reverse the order between the two - having the same person end up 1.01 seems harmful.

Comment

If we have a mlb and minors draft I'd just reverse the order between the two - having the same person end up 1.01 seems harmful.
                    Works for me. We'll have to decide who is eligible for which draft. Take Gavin Lux - prospect but has MLB service time. Separate drafts are a good wrinkle from the last version as it will apply a governor to my natural instincts

Comment

So is there a way to run the system where we could pick to have the first farm draft pick as our top priority and not Care about our major league slot? Could you double the preference size and say 1-15 are major league slots, and 16-30 are the minor league slots and if I want the #1 pick in the minor league draft I could make slot 16 my top priority? I don't know how this works just looking at a way to let people choose which draft they care about more.

Comment

Works for me. We'll have to decide who is eligible for which draft. Take Gavin Lux - prospect but has MLB service time. Separate drafts are a good wrinkle from the last version as it will apply a governor to my natural instincts
                        Good point on rookies. The two obvious distinctions you can make are either rookie eligible = minors, OR zero mlb AB/IP = minors.

Comment

Yeah the debate would be do you want it to be anyone with a major league ab or IP can be drafted in the major league draft or only people who have used up their rookie eligibility.

Comment

So is there a way to run the system where we could pick to have the first farm draft pick as our top priority and not Care about our major league slot? Could you double the preference size and say 1-15 are major league slots, and 16-30 are the minor league slots and if I want the #1 pick in the minor league draft I could make slot 16 my top priority? I don't know how this works just looking at a way to let people choose which draft they care about more.
                            I believe I could make that work yes.

Comment

• That would be really cool as I can see people having such a preference for Franco & Adell (and Lux depending on decision there) over say the 10th major league slot.

Comment

I believe I could make that work yes.
                                Ok I think it would be an interesting way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X