Official *MLB Season Delayed* Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 NFL season was..... 9 games.

2 games played, then two months off due to strike. they just picked up where they left off on the schedule.
    16 of 28 teams made the playoffs (!).

the champion Redskins - it helped that they went 8-1 in the regular season and and had the best defense and Riggins - by luck of the draw played seven out of nine games in the division.

come Super Bowl time, nobody cared about what happened before that.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      June 20 in empty stadiums (and perhaps just in FL and AZ)
      This actually makes a lot of sense. If they're going to play in empty ballparks, why pay the extra overhead for the spacious home ballparks when they can play in the much smaller spring training venues. And mid-June would be just enough time to get in 100 games.

I'm guessing that this years All-Star game in Los Angeles will get scrapped (no big deal) to make up more games. And Los Angeles would get the next open year for an All-Star game.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I'm going with 15 May as well.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          May 23rd, in empty stadiums.
          Empty stadiums is not happening. Clubs are hemorrhaging cash as it is, they're not going to willingly lose a bunch more money.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I'm going with 15 May as well.

J
            When it's May 15, 2021, you cannot claim you were correct.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• The idea that MLB will be back by May 15 of this year is patently ridiculous.

I wish that wasn't the case. I'd like nothing better than to be getting ready for opening day right now. But I will be happy if we have any sort of 2020 season at all.

Comment

Hmm, I assume they'd play in spring training facilties? How the heck could they give 120 games in basically when the AS break is supposed to be. Baseball teams play 6 games a week as is. Also, how could the play into November? It would be too cold to play baseball in November in December most places. 120 games starting July 4th seems impossible.
                30 games a month through October...tough, but doable. If the players get their full season pay, I'll assume that they'll tough it out and do it. Might have to expand the rosters to 30 players for one season, but let's get it done!
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  Empty stadiums is not happening. Clubs are hemorrhaging cash as it is, they're not going to willingly lose a bunch more money.
                  wouldn't the tv revenue compensate tho, if it meant the difference between starting up a month earlier than otherwise?
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• opening day will be on time, no delay, 2021. There will be no 2020 season. Play this example out, some player tests positive. You quarantine just that 1 player? Next day 2 players test positive, different teams. How can possibly play out? You cant play this year. 2021 there will be a fast passed vaccine or some already approved medicine we can pretend has some effect, to give illusion that we can all go ahead with our regular schedule, though on more cautious footing.

Comment

• Seriously, you guys are not keeping up.

Trump told us yesterday what the plan is.

I fully expect to attend an Easter Service on Sunday, April 12th, 2020. Head out for a backed Easter Brunch and make it to the ballpark for a 1:10 start. Oh, the singing of God Bless America during the Seventh Inning Stretch will be glorious, glorious, I tell you!
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                        wouldn't the tv revenue compensate tho, if it meant the difference between starting up a month earlier than otherwise?
                        TV is about 30-35% of the revenue stream. Player compensation is about 55% of revenue. Would the players agree to take that big of a pay cut?
                        Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

TV is about 30-35% of the revenue stream. Player compensation is about 55% of revenue. Would the players agree to take that big of a pay cut?
                          interesting, I would have thought it would have been higher than that. no ball for a while then.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            interesting, I would have thought it would have been higher than that. no ball for a while then.
                            Roughly $1.8 billion from the national TV contract, and the sum of local TV contracts is about $1.5 billion, for a full season. Compared to total revenues of $10+ billion.

Teams continue to sign billion-dollar deals… and determining how to divide that money could prove difficult.

Comment

Roughly $1.8 billion from the national TV contract, and the sum of local TV contracts is about $1.5 billion, for a full season. Compared to total revenues of $10+ billion.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/estimate...-30-mlb-teams/
                              Ah, wow, that does change my hopes. I think Horsnby or someone posted that TV accounted for 2/3 of the revenue, so I thought empty stadiums would be better than no baseball. It is is lower than player salaries, than, yeah, it makes no sense.

But wouldn't teams save money if there were no fans? I guess not enough, but they would, right?

Comment

...But wouldn't teams save money if there were no fans? I guess not enough, but they would, right?
                                that's a bit like what I often say as an IT guy, if we had no users our systems would run beautifully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X