Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    MLB made another proposal today to the MLBPA:
    -76 game season at 75% of salary, which ups the total salary pool to 35% from 31%
    -drops to 50% with no postseason
    -no draft pick comp temporarily for free agents (which means little as only a small handful will get a QO this offseason)

Most beat writers believe the players think this is a step backwards, which of course would mean that MLB is just not serious about any negotiation and will just allow Manfred to impose a shorter season.
    It's essentially the same offer as before, the owners are such MFers.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      I don't think that's the case:

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Well...yup. As revo noted, it’s a slight bump. And by increasing the highly paid salary rate, they’re clearly making the play for big names and their agents.

But, overall, I see your conclusion as very accurate.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Well...yup. As revo noted, it’s a slight bump. And by increasing the highly paid salary rate, they’re clearly making the play for big names and their agents.

But, overall, I see your conclusion as very accurate.
          However, it is true that the "guaranteed" portion of their offer got lower, meaning if there's no postseason. If there is a postseason, the total $$$ pool got slightly higher.

But again, the owners want the players to take on the risk now if there's no postseason.

Furthermore, there's now a clause added where players have to acknowledge the risk of playing and cannot sue.

If this comes down to Manfred imposing a short season, which is his right, where there's no postseason guarantees, why would the Union stand for that? They could easily go on strike in October to screw the owners just like they feel they're getting screwed.

Comment

However, it is true that the "guaranteed" portion of their offer got lower, meaning if there's no postseason. If there is a postseason, the total $$$ pool got slightly higher.

But again, the owners want the players to take on the risk now if there's no postseason.

Furthermore, there's now a clause added where players have to acknowledge the risk of playing and cannot sue.

If this comes down to Manfred imposing a short season, which is his right, where there's no postseason guarantees, why would the Union stand for that? They could easily go on strike in October to screw the owners just like they feel they're getting screwed.
            As long as MLB is following the letter of the March agreement and the CBA, they cannot strike. A CBA is in force along with the March agreement, which effectively has the same weight.

As for the proposal, if it was a serious proposal, it would not have leaked. Since it did, it was just posturing.

Comment

Cavebird's point is valid, and I also think if the players start the season and then strike (or "blue flu") the playoffs, it would be a PR disaster for the players.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Cavebird's point is valid, and I also think if the players start the season and then strike (or "blue flu") the playoffs, it would be a PR disaster for the players.
                Yeah, they won't do anything come playoff time. But what they can do is nix the additional playoff teams/rounds in spite because it would generate more $$ for the owners than the players, and many more players can just sit the entire season out.

Comment

Yeah, they won't do anything come playoff time. But what they can do is nix the additional playoff teams/rounds in spite because it would generate more $$ for the owners than the players, and many more players can just sit the entire season out.
                  How would you mitigate that "Sitting Out" for a fantasy season?
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    How would you mitigate that "Sitting Out" for a fantasy season?
                    I think like others here have said: if your league rushed and drafted already, then you're S.O.L.

Comment

I think like others here have said: if your league rushed and drafted already, then you're S.O.L.
                      Good thing I'm playing for next year in half my leagues lol
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Good thing I'm playing for next year in half my leagues lol
                        Keeper leagues are going to have a helluva time with this season and 2022. I know some leagues have voted to have this year "count" for contract purposes, even if there is no season. In pro wrestling, there was the Montreal Screwjob; in fantasy baseball, it could be known as the Covid Screwjob.

Comment

Keeper leagues are going to have a helluva time with this season and 2022. I know some leagues have voted to have this year "count" for contract purposes, even if there is no season. In pro wrestling, there was the Montreal Screwjob; in fantasy baseball, it could be known as the Covid Screwjob.
                          It only makes sense to "count" if you have an auction and have a season of some sort.

Comment

Agree. Especially if some start sit out. The bidding for my upcoming auction will be wild and crazy if that happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              It only makes sense to "count" if you have an auction and have a season of some sort.
                              That's what I think, but some leagues I know of but am not a part of have voted and decided that contracts will count regardless if there is a season or not.

Comment

• For keeper or auction leagues, why have or even schedule your draft at this point? IMO, you are just looking to complicate matters.

Our league is waiting until we 100% know there will be a season and then will decide the next step. We are an in-peson draft with out of state owners, so we may have to setup a remote option for this year if we go ahead with a roto season. But I believe that we are going to vote to not play it out even is there is a season and just extend all contracts by 1 year.

Comment

Working...
                                X