Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade thoughts? NL-only auction

Gonsolin and Hilliard, both $3-b for catcher Will Smith-$10-b
    We're talking, but I wonder if there is something I don't see here.
    Thoughts?
    Bearin' up!

Is the Smith owner in a salary crunch?

Maybe he just doesn't like spending $10 on an unproven catcher (or any catcher). Does he have depth/other options at the position?

Maybe he just has a woody for Gonsolin and Hiiliard?

Comment

The thing I would worry about is he gives HR but has BA sucked after his hot start. With Barnes the back up you might get a catcher who might hit .230 who plays quite a bit. Both Gonsolin and Hilliard might not come up north to start the season but they are intriguing players.

Comment

We're still talking. I own Smith and he wants him. Newest is Dakota Hudson-$5-b, and Golsolin $3-b.
        I have a lot of slots that will be open at auction and almost $200. to spend right now, a personal high for me by a lot. We are a standard 4x4 , no K's.
        Thought on this one?
        Bearin' up!

Comment

Hudson's ratio was horrible last year. he had a 4.74 xERA that backs it up #dangerwillrobinson

then again, W C Smith for 10 also seems a bit shaky.

Gonsolin's MLB peripherals, meanwhile, also suggest a fluke.

will Hilliard get dicked around like every other Rockie batter since Todd Helton? probably. but he has the best 2020 upside I think.

I wonder if you can get him and DHudson, then flip Hudson to an owner who sees those shiny-toy wins from 2019....
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Hudson's ratio was horrible last year. he had a 4.74 xERA that backs it up #dangerwillrobinson

then again, W C Smith for 10 also seems a bit shaky.

Gonsolin's MLB peripherals, meanwhile, also suggest a fluke.

will Hilliard get dicked around like every other Rockie batter since Todd Helton? probably. but he has the best 2020 upside I think.

I wonder if you can get him and DHudson, then flip Hudson to an owner who sees those shiny-toy wins from 2019....
            He has pulled back from Hilliard, saying he will keep him at $3-b. We also talked about Samardjia, $10-b, J Segura, $26-b, Ty France, $5-b, Keibert Ruiz, $10, but on ROOKIE contract that doesn't count against cap.
            I would like JD Davis, $3-b included somewhere but he seems determined to keep him.
            Anything in there that would move the needle?
            EDIT: If it helps with context, there will be no catcher available at auction who is even close to the value of W. Smith, with the possible exception of Narvais.
            Last edited by scottw; 03-08-2020, 06:32 PM.
            Bearin' up!

Comment

I have Jeff S, but no.

and I don't see any game-changers here.....
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                He has pulled back from Hilliard, saying he will keep him at $3-b. We also talked about Samardjia, $10-b, J Segura, $26-b, Ty France, $5-b, Keibert Ruiz, $10, but on ROOKIE contract that doesn't count against cap.
                I would like JD Davis, $3-b included somewhere but he seems determined to keep him.
                Anything in there that would move the needle?
                EDIT: If it helps with context, there will be no catcher available at auction who is even close to the value of W. Smith, with the possible exception of Narvais.
                There is no one mentioned here I would trade Smith for.

Comment

If it ain't Hilliard and Gonsolin, I'd not be interested. And even with that, if you think you have a shot at winning, I still wouldn't do it.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

That's my feeling, too. I think I might take Hilliard and Gonsolin, but the rest I can do better at the auction. He is going to think about it.
                    Thanks for all the insight!
                    Scott
                    Bearin' up!

Comment

He has come back with Hilliard, Gonsolin, and Ty France for W Smith.

Do it or not?
                      Bearin' up!

Comment

It is tempting but what you know is Smith is the clear starter here.

Comment

I made this trade. I will keep Gonsolin and Hilliard I think, let France go. I save $4. and need 1 less player.
                          Thanks for the help!
                          Bearin' up!

Comment

Hilliard has intriguing upside. The biggest question where is his PT going to come from. Injury to Dahl, Rockies finally tired of Desmond (sign through 2021 with team option for 22), trade involving Tapia or Hampson.

Comment

I'm thinking of it as a $3. lottery ticket!
                              Good luck with yours!
                              Bearin' up!

Comment

Working...
                              X