Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Jake Arrieta

From CBS:
    Arrieta attempted to pitch through a bone spur last season but ended up being shut down for season-ending surgery in August. The fact that he's pitching so early in the spring schedule suggests that he'll have no issues being ready to go by Opening Day.
    From Rotoworld (the next day):
    Jake Arrieta surrendered three runs in two innings Tuesday in a loss to the Blue Jays.

Arrieta was making his first start since surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow last August. His upside seems mostly gone, but he was still pretty much a league average starter for the Phillies the last two years. The team should be content with a similar performance in the final year of his contract.
    Is RW right? Is his upside mostly gone? I know the park doesn't help, and even when he was healthy in 2018 he only had 7.2 K/9 and a 4.26 FIP. So probably it is.

If he's finally healthy, though... maybe there's a glimmer of hope?

ATC, THE BAT and Steamer are all in the 150-160 IP range with ERA north of 4.50.

I wasn't able to find any quotes about his velocity or how he felt after his first start... but I'm posting this here in case anyone else has thoughts or hears more news. Also because he got picked 234 in the RJ Mock Draft which shocked me since his ADP is in the 400s. So I thought maybe there was some news I had missed.

I would temper my expectations for him,but there are two types of SP sleepers I like to target cheap. One is the young arm that came out of the gate struggling, but has the stuff to be better, and maybe also had bad luck to begin with. Mitch Keller fits that bill. The other is the once great veteran that everyone has written off, but may have a little something left. Arrieta fits that bill. Again, I would not get exited over him, but there may be a little there, there. Worth the flyer if the rest of your league believes he should already have a fork in him.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      From CBS:

From Rotoworld (the next day):

Is RW right? Is his upside mostly gone? I know the park doesn't help, and even when he was healthy in 2018 he only had 7.2 K/9 and a 4.26 FIP. So probably it is.

If he's finally healthy, though... maybe there's a glimmer of hope?

ATC, THE BAT and Steamer are all in the 150-160 IP range with ERA north of 4.50.

I wasn't able to find any quotes about his velocity or how he felt after his first start... but I'm posting this here in case anyone else has thoughts or hears more news. Also because he got picked 234 in the RJ Mock Draft which shocked me since his ADP is in the 400s. So I thought maybe there was some news I had missed.
      To be fair, I was the one who ended up with Arrieta, and it was the result of an auto pick. I thought I set the auto pick on one pick, and it went ahead and picked Arrieta, who was 2nd in the queue when my 1st guy went ahead of me. wasn't expecting it to do that, but live and learn.

That said, I do believe that Arrieta can be of some value, but I don't expect any sort of late career renaissance.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

About all I can add locally is that the pitchers are ecstatic about working with Bryan Price. After the Chris Young disaster last year, that's pretty big news. Price has an excellent track record bringing the best out in players.
        Bearin' up!

Comment

Working...
        X