Official RJ Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    The Fantrax scoring gives you a point for walks so I am assuming it's like an OBP league.
    That's the mentality that kept me from signing up this year though, the idea of this mock draft isn't to win the league, it's a mock draft so we can see/discuss where players are going and how it affects different areas of the draft.

I'd rather hear from Revo on what roto format was intended. It certainly could be OBP.

Comment

• Walks is 1 point and SB is 3 points. Sort of evens out the top three?

Trout - 120 BB and 10 SB
      Acuna - 60 BB and 30 SB
      Yelich - 80 BB and 20 SB

But when you figure in the 10 extra HR from trout it puts it over the top for him in this type of format. That's why I'd take him first in a best ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        in this type of format. That's why I'd take him first in a best ball.
        ..... but this is a roto mock

Comment

• I am considering going all SP strategy in this Weekly Best Ball format with my thought being catching 2 start pitchers in my top 9 spots frequently.

Two questions:

1. Do you think it's a sound strategy in this format?

2. Does anyone have an issue with me doing it seeing this is a Mock with the intended purpose of draft prep?

(I don't want to screw up anyones intended purpose of participating. I know in leagues I compete in usually there is a good chance someone uses an odd strategy from time to time.)
          Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            ..... but this is a roto mock
            It's just a mock, not a roto mock. I am drafting based on trying out a strategy for the 14th pick, but I thought the discussion above was the differentiation in the best ball (aka points) format of the top three?

Comment

It's just a mock, not a roto mock. I am drafting based on trying out a strategy for the 14th pick, but I thought the discussion above was the differentiation in the best ball format of the top three?
              I should probably just stop commenting on it, running into the same exact confusion as last year. The idea was for it to be a practice roto draft, best ball was just there because some people, after the mock, wanted to see the season played out, and best ball is the way to do that. Not intended as prep for people who are in a best ball league, it's a roto mock.

Comment

I should probably just stop commenting on it, running into the same exact confusion as last year. The idea was for it to be a practice roto draft, best ball was just there because some people, after the mock, wanted to see the season played out, and best ball is the way to do that. Not intended as prep for people who are in a best ball league, it's a roto mock.
                But some people play best ball or points leagues so why not have the discussion? It's not irrelevant.

Comment

But some people play best ball or points leagues so why not have the discussion? It's not irrelevant.
                  It was a roto setup, same as last year. (and this is deja vu all over again -- http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...l=1#post331903)

You were a voice of reason earlier on in this discussion:

Comment

• In the end, I treat it like a true mock for me. It's purpose is to re-familiarize myself with the player pool. I inevitably find several players that surprise me, both positively and negatively. If I didn't own them in a league, I might have missed something...playing in keeper leagues, I probably don't pay enough attention to the player pool as a whole.

So this is a good exercise in th spring...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

You were a voice of reason earlier on in this discussion:

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...l=1#post361747
                      lol...let me be the voice of reason now - you are fanning the flames of a fire that doesnt exist. We are discussing the players as they are being taken and analyzing them. In roto, yes the steals probably trump the value of the extra HR, but that doesnt mean there is some moratorium on simply talking about the values these players might have in a points league and what the difference is, does it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        In the end, I treat it like a true mock for me. It's purpose is to re-familiarize myself with the player pool.
                        That's a great way to look at it if that is your goal.

If your goal is to use it as a mock to see where people are (i.e. hmmm... now that Clevinger is hurt, I wonder where he goes), but someone takes him earlier than you'd expect because they are "mocking" in a format where starters are much more valuable... then the utility of the draft is diminished.

In sum, it's better if all the mock drafters are on the same page, although to your point, if this is just your intro to the player pool for 2020 it has value (some of us have already done multiple entire drafts so that's not the case, but others have not)
                        Last edited by Ken; 02-21-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Some questions

I guess with an early Bregman pick Astros are not being downgraded -
                          for either cheating past their abilities
                          or fear of injury after being plunked (look under Bagwell, Jeff)

How the heck do you use the chat function in fantrax?

Comment

That's a great way to look at it if that is your goal.

If your goal is to use it as a mock to see where people are (i.e. hmmm... now that Clevinger is hurt, I wonder where he goes), but someone takes him earlier than you'd expect because they are "mocking" in a format where starters are much more valuable... then the utility of the draft is diminished.

In sum, it's better if all the mock drafters are on the same page, although to your point, if this is just your intro to the player pool for 2020 it has value (some of us have already done multiple entire drafts so that's not the case, but others have not)
                            I'm in all auction leagues, so this is my 1st and probably only draft of the season.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              I'm in all auction leagues, so this is my 1st and probably only draft of the season.
                              I'm in mostly auctions as well, although I do have a few drafts.
                              And translating drafts to auction prices is pretty easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                                Some questions

I guess with an early Bregman pick Astros are not being downgraded -
                                for either cheating past their abilities
                                or fear of injury after being plunked (look under Bagwell, Jeff)

How the heck do you use the chat function in fantrax?
                                It's in the Draft Room bottom right corner.
                                Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X