Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgers/Red Sox/Twins Trade all but done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll tell you one thing, when baseball, basketball, hockey lost market share was when they got greedy and stopped playing games on free TV. that's why kids don't care about those sports anymore.

you imitate what you see. ..football has it right. they didn't go all pay TV, and that sport thrives audience. it's not the sport, it's that it's not on fucking TV anymore.

it's greed. if people watched Mookie Betts in boston of free TV more often it would be like the Fred Lynn trade all over again.

but now everything is controlled. and viewership is dying from owner greed and overall desire of control.

yeah, that's right. cable TV killed baseball. it's not the length. they try to blame it on that. but we never would've ended up there in the first place if they had games on TV like the NFL. you don't see people complain about the length of NFL games.

i'll tell you without stoppages or commercials NFL games last a fucking hour. that's it! but you still spend 3 hours watching one.

cable TV greed killed baseball in America. as a result you'll have less young people evening playing it or participating. MONEY. organizations didn't want to grow the sport. they took the money and ran. and american youths are less healthy and competitive for it.

Comment

although i don't get the NFL advertising. their core audience is basically white trash. if it wasn't why why would you be able to protest, protesting the national anthem so much. why would you have fucking Hank Williams hanging around singing the opening to monday night football.

yet their commercials are sometimes about buying $80,000 cars, or even worse, during holidays, hey i just bought my wife a new $50k car.

Basketball at least has their commercials right, as they advertise greasy unhealthy food like popeyes or some shit. which i think is wrong...

overall nothing really makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
        i'll tell you one thing, when baseball, basketball, hockey lost market share was when they got greedy and stopped playing games on free TV. that's why kids don't care about those sports anymore.

you imitate what you see. ..football has it right. they didn't go all pay TV, and that sport thrives audience. it's not the sport, it's that it's not on fucking TV anymore.

it's greed. if people watched Mookie Betts in boston of free TV more often it would be like the Fred Lynn trade all over again.

but now everything is controlled. and viewership is dying from owner greed and overall desire of control.

yeah, that's right. cable TV killed baseball. it's not the length. they try to blame it on that. but we never would've ended up there in the first place if they had games on TV like the NFL. you don't see people complain about the length of NFL games.

i'll tell you without stoppages or commercials NFL games last a fucking hour. that's it! but you still spend 3 hours watching one.

cable TV greed killed baseball in America. as a result you'll have less young people evening playing it or participating. MONEY. organizations didn't want to grow the sport. they took the money and ran. and american youths are less healthy and competitive for it.
        Baseball also moved away from the schools and sandlots. It became a very expensive sport in which to participate, with costly fees & uniforms, travel teams and weekend tournaments. You rarely see little/youth league games in city or even suburban parks nowadays. Even organized softball leagues seem to be on the decline.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
          Baseball also moved away from the schools and sandlots. It became a very expensive sport in which to participate, with costly fees & uniforms, travel teams and weekend tournaments. You rarely see little/youth league games in city or even suburban parks nowadays. Even organized softball leagues seem to be on the decline.
          Very true, especially if you have a kid that has aspirations for college or even pro ball. I have a leaguemate whose son plays and man, all the showcases and travel and stuff really adds up.

Comment

although i don't get the NFL advertising. their core audience is basically white trash. if it wasn't why why would you be able to protest, protesting the national anthem so much. why would you have fucking Hank Williams hanging around singing the opening to monday night football.

yet their commercials are sometimes about buying $80,000 cars, or even worse, during holidays, hey i just bought my wife a new $50k car.

Basketball at least has their commercials right, as they advertise greasy unhealthy food like popeyes or some shit. which i think is wrong...

overall nothing really makes any sense.
            I applaud your nihilistic conclusion.

Comment

Basketball at least has their commercials right, as they advertise greasy unhealthy food like popeyes or some shit. which i think is wrong....
              No kidding. I mean, if you're going for fast food chicken in the South, at least go to Raising Cane's or Zaxby's. Or, in my case, Chick-Fil-A.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The local Chick-Fil-A is closed for renovations. Even though there is a truck delivering the same food from across town, there is much weeping and gnashing of gums.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  No kidding. I mean, if you're going for fast food chicken in the South, at least go to Raising Cane's or Zaxby's. Or, in my case, Chick-Fil-A.
                  Raising Cane's is much better. And now Popeyes has the competing sandwich with Chick-Fil-A.

Comment

Very few people with young kids just have an antenna anymore. And football is all over ESPN, etc. But the nihilism is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Very few people with young kids just have an antenna anymore. And football is all over ESPN, etc. But the nihilism is impressive.
                      It's considered child abuse if parents don't pay for cable TV.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke revealed that Alex Verdugo's back injury is a stress fracture. The Red Sox were aware of the injury prior to trading for him and don't expect it to be a long-term concern. Um...ok.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                          I am one of the few that think getting Betts and Price will be a disaster for them.
                          A terrible trade for LAD now becomes one of the worst signings of all time. For non Dodger fans, this could not have worked out any better.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                            A terrible trade for LAD now becomes one of the worst signings of all time. For non Dodger fans, this could not have worked out any better.
                            I am surprised he got so much in the covid era. And I am sure he will be grossly overpaid on the back end of this, but assuming he is even close to what he has been for the first 8 years of this deal, I can think of many deals that will rank worse than this one. I'd be willing to bet he will be more productive for longer than Pujols, Miggy, and Prince Fielder were for their deals, for instance. But yeah, not way would I have any player a contract till they are 4 year old as such a high annual salary. Or, at least I never would if I were in a sport with a salary cap and an even playing field in terms of profits. The Dodgers, like the Yankees, can afford to grossly overpay players.

Comment

Fred Lynn trade all over again.
                              8/31 Betts was caught stealing for the first time in 2020. Still, it's another productive game from the former MVP, and he's slashing .298/.380/.611 in his first of many seasons in a Dodgers' uniform.
                              sets the red sox back 10 years. again. Verdugo is nice, but Betts wins World Series. is there a stat for playoff and WS WAR? you don't trade away your franchise player.

Comment

Fred Lynn trade all over again. sets the red sox back 10 years. again. Verdugo is nice, but Betts wins World Series. is there a stat for playoff and WS WAR? you don't trade away your franchise player.
                                I agree with you 100% nully--especially not one in his prime who checks all the boxes in terms of fan engagement, citizenship, and being a good bloke for the community off the field, who also happens to be clutch. All that describes Betts. It describes Lindor too, but I fear he will be gone one day as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X