2K20: Corey Kluber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K20: Corey Kluber

I don't think there's been a more contentious player in '20 draft discussions than Corey Kluber. He went from a Top 5 pitcher in '19 to barely making it into the Top 100 overall in '20.

Obviously, a change of venue from Cleveland to Texas has not made fantasy players happy, and many are looking at his aborted 2019 campaign, where he threw 35 miserable innings, as proof that he's toast.

But he'll be just 34 in April, and has already said he feels great and his 2019 issues are in the past. So why is he not getting any respect?

Most projection systems have him for 170-185 IP, which is historically about 30 IP less than his typical year. Some are projecting him for much fewer than that. This is a pitcher who had 200+ IP for all five of the campaigns where he was in the rotation to start the year.

If he says his injuries are behind him, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and project another 200+ IP workhorse year for him, which means his current ADP of 96 is a bargain. What do you think?

A lot of people gave him a raise and then got burned last year. Fantasy players have long memories.

I do agree his 96 ADP seems like a bargain.

Comment

A few quick thoughts to consider....

1 - I had Lance Lynn at a decent keeper price going into last season and tossed him back. Based mostly on him going from Min to Tex and the negative impact of pitching there. A bad choice.
      2 - Rangers are moving into a new ballpark this year, so that may not be as hitter friendly as the old Globe Life park.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
        A few quick thoughts to consider....

1 - I had Lance Lynn at a decent keeper price going into last season and tossed him back. Based mostly on him going from Min to Tex and the negative impact of pitching there. A bad choice.
        2 - Rangers are moving into a new ballpark this year, so that may not be as hitter friendly as the old Globe Life park.
        Yup, agreed. But yet fantasy players are knocking him down based on this.

Comment

Looking at the two 15-team mixed drafts (LABR and our own RJ one), Kluber went amazingly low - Round 9, pick 9 in one and Round 9, pick 8 in the other. If I'm doing my math right, that's picks 128 and 129?

Wow.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Looking at the two 15-team mixed drafts (LABR and our own RJ one), Kluber went amazingly low - Round 9, pick 9 in one and Round 9, pick 8 in the other. If I'm doing my math right, that's picks 128 and 129?

Wow.
            Yup, he went at #129 in our NFBC draft. And while some of us argued for Kluber, we passed on him (for Lance Lynn) at pick #122.

Comment

But what is there really to hang your hat on? Sure, we think he's 100%. But he was bad last year, and now he's in an unknown ballpark in a relatively tough division.

His NFBC ADP since 1/1 is 101ish. Going right after Sonny Gray and Mike Soroka, and ahead of carlos Carrasco and Frankie Montas and Dinelson Lamet. OK... I dont really love any of those pitchers going after him either. But I think I'd prefer Cookie. I'd definitely take Lance Lynn over Kluber.

Comment

I have the fifth pick in our draft. With the bottom three teams still to declare. This will be the board, to which I am contributing Goldschmidt and Darvish.

Strasburg, Villar, Abreu, Goldschmidt, Cruz, Corbin, Darvish, Kluber

I have to get one, but I hope for Kluber.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  But what is there really to hang your hat on? Sure, we think he's 100%. But he was bad last year, and now he's in an unknown ballpark in a relatively tough division.

His NFBC ADP since 1/1 is 101ish. Going right after Sonny Gray and Mike Soroka, and ahead of carlos Carrasco and Frankie Montas and Dinelson Lamet. OK... I dont really love any of those pitchers going after him either. But I think I'd prefer Cookie. I'd definitely take Lance Lynn over Kluber.
                  Yeah, but he was bad for less than 40 innings. To his discredit, those were the only 40 innings he pitched!

Comment

John Blake
                    @RangerBlake
                    Corey Kluber had an MRI on Sunday evening which determined he has a grade 2 tear of the teres major muscle in the back of his right shoulder. He will be shut down from throwing for a minimum of 4 weeks and will be placed on the IL.
                    3:19 PM · Jul 27, 2020
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      John Blake
                      @RangerBlake
                      Corey Kluber had an MRI on Sunday evening which determined he has a grade 2 tear of the teres major muscle in the back of his right shoulder. He will be shut down from throwing for a minimum of 4 weeks and will be placed on the IL.
                      3:19 PM · Jul 27, 2020
                      Geesh, I guess all the focus on COVID, we didn't think enough about the other big thing that could take out players--injuries with such a sudden ramp up. Clearly, as much as these guys tried to stay ready, and I believe Verlander and Kluber prepare as much as anyone, it just isn't the same as a full spring training.

Comment

Shoulder injuries can be career injuries. I fear we may have seen the last of Kluber (and for that matter Hamels) as effective major league pitchers. Ask Brandon Webb.

Comment

Ugh. I speculated given lack of available talent in our league. Brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Shoulder injuries can be career injuries. I fear we may have seen the last of Kluber (and for that matter Hamels) as effective major league pitchers. Ask Brandon Webb.
                            You could be right (especially w/Hamels), though Webb is a whole different kettle of fish. Webb's problem started with bursitis, and then worsened into needing surgery. Also, based on ESPN's The Magazine article on Webb back in the day, let's generously say Webb's workout and off-day work routines were....less than challenging.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                              Ugh. I speculated given lack of available talent in our league. Brutal.
                              Wasted $26 on him in my high inflation mixed keeper league. But picked up free agent Cristian Javier as a replacement and potential $1 keeper. Win some lose some.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X