No announcement yet.

NL Starting Pitchers Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting take on Woodruff (buying if you don’t have a good keeper list). In my case I have a good keeper list but also have Woodruff at $9 (in addition to two stronger SPs). So on the one hand I can afford the downside risk in pursuit of the upside; on the other I don’t need to bear that downside risk. I like your take on it; might look to flip him.

Comment

great writeup Chance.

One nit to pick regarding Folty. You mentioned a 7.5 k9. Not sure the time you were referring to but in his sucky 2019 he struck out 150 in 151 IP.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        great writeup Chance.

One nit to pick regarding Folty. You mentioned a 7.5 k9. Not sure the time you were referring to but in his sucky 2019 he struck out 150 in 151 IP.
        Thanks - I think he had only 117 IP in Atlanta last year. But my math was wrong - now that I looked at it again, it's 8K/9 in his time in the bigs.

Sharky - Mind you, it's tough overcoming my Brewer homerism. On one hand. Woodruff's stuff is for real, and he can both control and dominate in the top of the zone. OTOH, he's just not been durable. I love him at $9, but I'd be willing to listen to offers if someone gave me the world...or at least half.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Sharky - Mind you, it's tough overcoming my Brewer homerism. On one hand. Woodruff's stuff is for real, and he can both control and dominate in the top of the zone. OTOH, he's just not been durable. I love him at $9, but I'd be willing to listen to offers if someone gave me the world...or at least half.
          I doubt you would get an overpay on Woodruff though. His perceived value is not as high as his actual value in my experience.

So I'd go the opposite way and say if you have him at $9, keep him rather than selling for less than full value.

Comment

I've been thinking about Sour Masher's earlier question, and would like to get some input from all of you who have more experience in NL only leagues than I do (I've only done them for about 6-7 years now). Who do you think will be available at or near endgame prices that have best shots of delivering value among starting pitchers or those that have a good shot at becoming starting pitchers? My list is short - Nick Pivetta was a good call, I like Austin Voth in Washington...and, well...

Comment

a few endgamers I like

Anthony Desclafani- Finally showed he can be a value add when he is healthy.
              Johnny Cueto- Total wild card and name recognition may bump him a buck or two but he knows how to pitch and is in a pitchers park.
              Kevin Gausman- Move to NL and SF could pay nicely.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

a few endgamers I like

Johnny Cueto- Total wild card and name recognition may bump him a buck or two but he knows how to pitch and is in a pitchers park.
                All good names, I think. I agree Cueto's name and some early sleeper hype may push him out of my comfort zone. Desclafani seems like the unsexy type of player that will be cheap even if he does get some sleeper hype. I've been a sucker for Gausman in the past, and I've sworn him off, but you are right, he is in a good spot.

Comment

Endgamers or near endgamers

Couple of Zachs; Eflin and Davies.

Eflin looked like a different guy the last couple of months. I remember hearing something about him going back to what worked for him in the past and ditching some analytics based advice.

Davies just seems like he's in a good place now. Petco vs Miller Park could be substantial for him. Over the last 3 years his ERA is 5.04 at Miller and 2.71 away. Age 27 entering his 5th season, things to like here.
                  Last edited by harmon; 02-03-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the hype on the below guys...and this is not a ranking, just some names and a few thoughts in no particular order.

Potential end game types - I want Pivetta, maybe Smyly --- and any of Burnes, Gonsolin & F Peralta if it's expected that they will get 10+ starts:

Brewers: Lindblom, F Peralta and Burnes ...what if Lauer is bad and Anderson is hurt? Then maybe they all get some turns
                    Giants: Smyly, Beede and Logan Webb
                    LA: Gonsolin
                    Phillies: Pivetta
                    Marlins: Pablo Lopez, Elieser Hernandez (with fences moving in he may be too risky) and Yamamoto

Potentially undervalued -- I expect to roster several of them, depending on price. Eflin and Porcello are the least exciting so might be the cheapest:

Houser - maybe won't come cheap if the sharps are in on him
                    Arrieta - finally healthy? Most seem to be out on him and maybe rightly so but then again if it really was the bone spurs making him suck...could he rebound to be a nice #3 starter?
                    Porcello - could put up 2018 type numbers in the NL and with the home park to help suppress HRs
                    Caleb Smith - if hip is fully healed should be solid but with wins tough to come by, his perceived value may be down
                    Mitch Keller - post-hype? and same potential problem with Pirates as Smith has with the Marlins re: run support/wins
                    Stroman - if he continues with his good cutter from last season and re-ups slider usage and uses fewer sinkers, could be very nice this season. When looking at his mix, it seems like some cutters and/or sliders were classified as curves last year - regardless he has good breaking pitches
                    Eflin - was great last year when the pitching coach wasn't messing with him to throw more 4 seamers; has issues vs left-handed batters and doesn't get a lot of Ks but still, he's good

Comment

I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on all of this, but good stuff here, fellas!

I'll 'get there' by the end of March. I have a wacky stable of SP options in my signature.........
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

a few endgamers I like

Gausman was in the NL all of 2019, too (traded to the NL in 2018). I don't trust him in the slightest, despite the stuff.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

I think the Marlins can win 70 games, if not 75, with an improved offense and their crop of promising SPs.

so I'd focus on that whole group, as much as any teams in MLB. they should all come cheap, depending on your parameters, and they have enough options that the ones who claim roles might surprise.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Gausman was in the NL all of 2019, too (traded to the NL in 2018). I don't trust him in the slightest, despite the stuff.
                              Okay, I don't trust Gausman because he missed Urena. That's enough to be on my blacklist forever. We were only going to ever get one shot, and he threw it behind him.

Comment

Great stuff, Chance! This is print and use material.

Comment

Working...
                                X