Prospecting: Oneil Cruz - Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospecting: Oneil Cruz - Pirates

I was listening to the "Rates and Barrels" podcast on The Athletic yesterday and they were discussing O'neil Cruz a 21 year old SS prospect for the Pirates, and Eno Sarris made a comment about him potentially one day being looked at like A-Rod (in regard to his upside talent). This caught my attention as I wasn't really familiar with the kid, and I am reasonably up to date on prospects.

Looking into Cruz, I see a 6'7 freakish athlete who one veteran scout said was the best athlete at his height he had ever seen on a baseball field. His future power and arm grade on FanGraphs are 80's. Apparently he is consistently improving his approach at the plate over the last 2 years, the upside appears ridiculous to me!

If you haven't heard of him like me, I'd suggest you look into him.

If you have heard of him fill the rest of us in on some of what you have heard and your thoughts?
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

One of the sharks in our league has him on the roster NL only. He will be $10 bucks when activated. I am not sure how long he has had him stashed.

I saw one report that has him listed at 150 lbs and one at 175 lbs. It would be a good sign if both were true and he gained 25 lbs.

He has a lot of keepers, i wonder if he will be back in the reserve auction.

Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I saw one report that has him listed at 150 lbs and one at 175 lbs. It would be a good sign if both were true
      I don't know, 325 is pretty big. I don't think he'd steal many bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I saw one report that has him listed at 150 lbs and one at 175 lbs. It would be a good sign if both were true and he gained 25 lbs.
        I saw something similiar, I believe he was 6'6 150 was when he was traded from the Dodgers to the Pirates in 2017 and the 6'7 175 was last year. Just natural growth it seems and probably eating better as well lol.
        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          I don't know, 325 is pretty big. I don't think he'd steal many bases.
          Thanks for making me read my own post 3 more times... nicely played.

Comment

I have him in my minors. I like his upside, but in general, I am suspicious of hitters that tall and lanky. Yes, point to Aaron Judge, but that dude has man strength, and the holes in his swing are there, and his height doesn't help that. Cruz has not bulked up yet (175, if true is still rail thin at his height), and he has a long way to go before the dreams on his potential are realized, if ever. But yeah, if you have a deep minors system like my league does (we can have up to 20), he is a great lottery ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I have him in my minors. I like his upside, but in general, I am suspicious of hitters that tall and lanky. Yes, point to Aaron Judge, but that dude has man strength, and the holes in his swing are there, and his height doesn't help that. Cruz has not bulked up yet (175, if true is still rail thin at his height), and he has a long way to go before the dreams on his potential are realized, if ever. But yeah, if you have a deep minors system like my league does (we can have up to 20), he is a great lottery ticket.
              Totally agree on all points. He is so tall and thin, won't be a SS, but if BIG if he can keep his improvement up could be a HR hitting force, only it will be at 1B or RF.

Comment

I've read quite a bit on his progress in 2018 as a 19 year old, I haven't yet seen much written on his 2019 as a 20 year old, but from looking at this stats the improvements seem to be continuing.

The Pirates really really seem to be committed to giving him time at SS, but I agree I think a corner outfield slot is where he'll probably end up, but with his background in CF and the elite arm he could be a defensive asset in either corner OF spot.

He held his own in 35 games after being called up to AA last year, if his year to year growth continues that ETA of 21 looks promising.

I really want to see some write ups on his 19 season and him as of now, almost everything I've found is a year old. If anyone sees something more current please link it, Thanks!

Comment

Well, I guess the Paxton owner in my league listens to Rates and Barrels. I just got Paxton who I have for just 2020 at $13 for Cruz and Ronny Mauricio. We have 20 minor league spots, so I love spending some of them on guys like this--extremely high upside. This is a deal I could very much regret years down the road. But flags fly forever, as they say. Paxton rounds out a heck of a keeper list for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Well, I guess the Paxton owner in my league listens to Rates and Barrels. I just got Paxton who I have for just 2020 at $13 for Cruz and Ronny Mauricio. We have 20 minor league spots, so I love spending some of them on guys like this--extremely high upside. This is a deal I could very much regret years down the road. But flags fly forever, as they say. Paxton rounds out a heck of a keeper list for me.
                    They mentioned Cruz on the NL Central prospects podcast on Rotowire. Worth a listen if you are into that sort of thing.

Comment

Cruz is the definition of high risk high reward.

Comment

Interesting statement from FanGraphs Top 100 prospect ranking (2/12/2020)

Somehow, over the past year, the ratio of scouts who believe the 6-foot-7 Cruz might actually stay at shortstop has grown. It’s more within the realm of possibility for those who think a lot of issues with lateral agility can be masked through some combination of arm strength (Cruz has a freaking hose) and good defensive positioning.

Comment

Working...
                        X