2K20: Mark Canha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K20: Mark Canha

Another "where did this come from" player, Canha had a startlingly good 2019: .273/.396/.517 with 26 HRs and a whopping 80 Runs in just 410 ABs. That's a lot of OBP league goodness from a waiver wire mixed leaguer.

His BB% jumped from 8.5% in 2018 to 13.5% in 2019, fueling his OBP surge. He's always had decent pop, but his HR/FB rate increased to 17.4% from the prior year's 11.6%.

Can he keep this up? Because if he can maintain these increases, he's a great late round buy.

I like him. I picked him up late in a deal on the cheap, and he was great for me, so I'm sure I have a bias, but he looked good. It looked like he figured something out. That said, anytime you have an out of nowhere pop up guy, he should be viewed skeptically. I wouldn't pay as though I know his 2nd half were legit, but if I could get him back cheap in the auction, I'd happily take a flyer on finding out.

Comment

He's one where a local fan or hardcore would have had an edge. He had a good start to 2018, but then got dinged and played through it and had a dismal stretch where he was almost sent down.

I don't know if he keeps up at that rate, but I think he does very well if you can still get him in a late round buy. Key risks include health (he sure seems to have been dinged a lot earlier in his career) and maintaining that walk rate.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Only 51st percentile in exit velocity and 64th percentile in hard hit percentage, so statcast doesn't love him. Still, 26 HR and a 13.5% walk rate in 497 PA means he didn't have to post a crazy high BABIP to hit for a high average. Steamer says 594 PA, 251/342/460 with 25 HR. I like him to be a little better than that, but if someone wants to pay for .275 and 35 HRs then I'll let them do it.

Comment

Working...
        X