Thoughts on this trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this trade?

16 team mixed league, 6x6 cats (OBP, SLG, HR, RBI, SB x QS, ERA, WHIP, K, K/BB, SVHDRW). That last category is Saves + Holds + Relief Wins.

Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia and Adrian Gonzalez

for

Justin Masterson $1A, Matt LaPorta $3A and Dayan Viciedo $4M
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

ugh... I guess? I mean, when you ask about a dump trade the only realistic question is "was that the best you could do". I have to assume they could do better talking to someone else...

I've never voted to overturn a trade, but that would be the closest I've ever come. I liked someone's suggestion once upon a time that if you wanted to overturn a trade you had to propose a better one.

That's really, really bad though.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

From what I understand he got a lot of offers. I offered Narveson $1A and Martin Perez $3M for Lee. Not a great offer but if he did that he'd still come out ahead by trading Gonzalez and CC for something else. I also never got a response to my email with the offer.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

yuk...do not like

Comment

Well....I really like it if I am getting the good guys.

Comment

That's a horrendous trade that ensures the dumping team will be dumping again next year.

Comment

Great trade for the dumpee.

The dumper is getting a bag of magic beans. Masterson is sure to earn a profit next year, but LaPorta may meddle again and Viciedo is unproven. Giving up 2 of the studs is more realistic because Masterson does have some value this year and Viciedo should contribute too, so that production needs to be compensated.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                From what I understand he got a lot of offers. I offered Narveson $1A and Martin Perez $3M for Lee. Not a great offer but if he did that he'd still come out ahead by trading Gonzalez and CC for something else. I also never got a response to my email with the offer.
                I also made an offer for AGonzalez, and never got a response. I was offering some combo of Pineda ($5A), Beachy ($2A) and James McDonald ($4A), and/or some of my minor leaguers (Goldschmidt, Green, Pomeranz, etc).

I think he would be way better off trading each of the three individually.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                  I also made an offer for AGonzalez, and never got a response. I was offering some combo of Pineda ($5A), Beachy ($2A) and James McDonald ($4A), and/or some of my minor leaguers (Goldschmidt, Green, Pomeranz, etc).

When he sent his initial email about Gonzo I asked about Lee and he said he would look at all offers. So I sent him the offer. I didn't expect him to accept it but I thought it was good enough that I might get a counter, or something. But then I heard today from Matt that they made this deal. So I sent Ned an email saying, "Looking but apparently not responding." He made some excuse about being away last week. He and Matt are friends so Matt had the advantage of being able to bug him about a deal and IMing with him.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post

Any deal that involved Pineda 5A was inherently better than what he took, much less the fact that you were only asking for one guy and offering multiple players.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      Any deal that involved Pineda 5A was inherently better than what he took, much less the fact that you were only asking for one guy and offering multiple players.
                      I agree. I think they guy really wanted Masterson, he is from Boston. Boston fans still seem to think he's on the Red Sox, especially cause Theo said that they have been trying to trade from him ever since they traded him for V-Mart.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I'm in the league and find that trade atrocious. I have a firm no-veto rule unless there is 100% evidence of collusion, but I also think that when terrible deals like this take place it should seriously bring into question whether or not the owner is a good fit for the league in subsequent seasons.

Comment

btw, as a data point for Pineda's value in dump trades, this is what I did in a 12-team mixed where salaries go up $5 a year:

Pineda $2, Wainwright $2, and filler for Votto (expiring), Anibal Sanchez $7, Hanrahan (expiring), Madson $3. (I was happy to get full value for Wainwright -- I don't think he'll be back by opening day next year)

- Mike

Comment

The outcome of the league should never be decided by one trade this early in the season. This is one of those trades that could do that. Make this trade at the trading deadline then I'm fine with it, but not 4 months worth of stats from those 3 studs. If this happened in my league, I would be going off on someone right now. I would push to kick out that owner today and just let his team right it out as is until a new owner is found.

Comment

Wow. Mighty bad trade. I don't believe in overturning trades. Bad owners are bad. If you don't like the way they deal, kick them out.

That said, what an atrocious deal for the dumper. That's weird thing about dumping: The worse you are at it, the more you do it. Once you figure out how to do it well, you suddenly don't need to do it much anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X