2K20: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Workman & Hembree traded to the Phillies. Workman is expected to replace Neris as closer. Barnes to take over in BOS?
    ??
    Neris's 2 of 3 blown SV were mostly due to the defense. one was an infield popup where no one wanted it, so 3 ER in the inning out of his 4 ER this season.
    the Phillies need 5 or 6 relievers; nor sure if throwing Neris under the bus is so great to make way for Workman's 1.800 Ratio in a short stretch so far.

08.20... Hector Neris was charged with three unearned runs, a blown save and a loss in the second game of Thursday's doubleheader against the Blue Jays.
    Spin: They aren't always, but these runs were truly unearned, as he had both Scott Kingery and Didi Gregorius commit errors behind him during his brief appearance. The one hit he gave up was a cheap one, too, as Rowdy Tellez somehow blooped a very good splitter into center field for a two-run single. Neris's only real mistake today was walking Cavan Biggio.

08.14... Hector Neris blew his second straight save chance in Friday's game against the Mets.
    Spin: The Phillies' bullpen was actually pretty good for a change until Neris came into the game. He allowed the first two batters to reach before striking out Pete Alonso and Dominic Smith, but Robinson Cano delivered a game-tying RBI single. Neris was ultimately credited with the win after the Phillies walked it off in the bottom of the frame. It's been a rough week for him, but it's not like the Phillies have a great alternative for saves. He should get the next chance.

08.12... Hector Neris took his first blown save after giving up three runs in the ninth Tuesday against the Orioles.
    Spin: The blown save was Neris's fault, but he should have been out of the inning having allowed just one run to the Orioles. Unfortunately for Neris, Pedro Severino's infield popup with the bases loaded and two outs was allowed to drop in for a hit, scoring two additional runners. The runs tonight were the first Neris has given up in four appearances this year.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Yeah, their BP was supposed to be a strength, right now--It why they are sub .500 Yates might be done for the year, Pagan has to get it together, Pomeranz will excel in the closer spot, but it's those 6-7 guys who need to step it up. I can't imagine there won't be a couple of changes soon.
      Strahm coming out early as he normally goes--so It's not going to be him.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        ??
        Neris's 2 of 3 blown SV were mostly due to the defense. one was an infield popup where no one wanted it, so 3 ER in the inning out of his 4 ER this season.
        the Phillies need 5 or 6 relievers; nor sure if throwing Neris under the bus is so great to make way for Workman's 1.800 Ratio in a short stretch so far.

08.20... Hector Neris was charged with three unearned runs, a blown save and a loss in the second game of Thursday's doubleheader against the Blue Jays.
        Spin: They aren't always, but these runs were truly unearned, as he had both Scott Kingery and Didi Gregorius commit errors behind him during his brief appearance. The one hit he gave up was a cheap one, too, as Rowdy Tellez somehow blooped a very good splitter into center field for a two-run single. Neris's only real mistake today was walking Cavan Biggio.

08.14... Hector Neris blew his second straight save chance in Friday's game against the Mets.
        Spin: The Phillies' bullpen was actually pretty good for a change until Neris came into the game. He allowed the first two batters to reach before striking out Pete Alonso and Dominic Smith, but Robinson Cano delivered a game-tying RBI single. Neris was ultimately credited with the win after the Phillies walked it off in the bottom of the frame. It's been a rough week for him, but it's not like the Phillies have a great alternative for saves. He should get the next chance.

08.12... Hector Neris took his first blown save after giving up three runs in the ninth Tuesday against the Orioles.
        Spin: The blown save was Neris's fault, but he should have been out of the inning having allowed just one run to the Orioles. Unfortunately for Neris, Pedro Severino's infield popup with the bases loaded and two outs was allowed to drop in for a hit, scoring two additional runners. The runs tonight were the first Neris has given up in four appearances this year.
        CloserMonkey:
        Philadelphia Phillies — Brandon Workman should close immediately for Philadelphia, sliding Hector Neris back to a setup role. Adam Morgan should back them up after Jose Alvarez’s testicular contusion.

Rotoworld also expects him to close. Does that mean he will? No. But that’s their expectation.

Comment

The Phillies are a mess right now.

I think who should close - and pardon the non-data observation - should factor in team sentiment.

if Neris is not popular, and even with all the defensive screwups they don't trust him - coming off a 2.93 ERA, 28 save season - then I'd demote him.

if he is popular, and the vibe is that he would be getting screwed through no fault of his own - well, then Workman better be better than, er, workmanlike in his first few outings as closer.

no reason to believe that either can't do the job.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Pegan for now.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-heath-hembree

closermonkey aka "Wild Ass Guessers" who cited nothing.

someone who covers the Phillies:

"Hale projects to be a middle man. Hembree is a power arm in a bullpen that lacks power. He will get innings late in games.

Workman has closer experience with the Red Sox. He had 16 saves last season and struck out 13.1 batters per nine innings while going 10-1 with a 1.88 ERA in 73 games.

Ultimately, Joe Girardi will decide Workman's role, but for now, you can bet he will pitch high-leverage innings near the end of games. He could even end up closing if Hector Neris continues his high-wire acts.

"It's never a bad thing to have two guys with closer experience," Klentak said. "It serves us well to have multiple guys who can close out games."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Phils up 4-0 after 6

Wheeler allows 2 in the 7th but finishes the inning

Neris in the 8th, but allows a run and with 2 outs, here comes Workman

even a monkey can guess right sometimes!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Workman entered with 2 out in the 8th and the Phillies up 4-3, and he whammied rival Neris by waving both runners home to Neris's ERA.

the Phillies tied it in the top of the 9th, but Workman proved himself a "true Phillies RP" by making a mess of bottom 9 and losing the game.

what a joke

#nextmanup

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Workman entered with 2 out in the 8th and the Phillies up 4-3, and he whammied rival Neris by waving both runners home to Neris's ERA.

the Phillies tied it in the top of the 9th, but Workman proved himself a "true Phillies RP" by making a mess of bottom 9 and losing the game.

what a joke

#nextmanup
                    Maybe they should trade for a monkey

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Nick Anderson to the 10-day IL with forearm inflammation.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Girardi got fired by the Yankees because he wanted to make his own decisions - like most managers from like 1900-16 or so.

but the new era is Ivy League phenom execs calling all the shots.

hard for me to believe, based on the first 20+ games of the Phillies and his managing history, that Girardi would have thrown Neris under the bus if he had a choice. but I don't think he does. he will have Workman close and like it - and if he doesn't like it, well, Workman will close anyway.

so I'd lock and load on Workman. a GM who takes a risk in adding a back-end RP these days is going to dictate bullpen usage. period. for me, that's the key takeaway on this scenario.

tonight, tonight, Phillies had a 5-3 lead in the 9th and 7-8-9 batting.

Workman allowed a leadoff single, Camargo swung at ball 4 for a forceout at 2nd, Hechevarria walked, forceout for the second out.

Freeman then laces a ball into the gap for a run, and Swanson races home to try to tie it.

the call is out, but a review takes several minutes.

in an interesting twist, it turns out that if the OF's throw forces the C to block the runner in order to catch the ball, that is not considered "blocking the plate" - so the game is over.

I'd sure as hell start having my OFs adjust their throw target from home plate to the 3B side of home plate - you can pick up a free several feet of coverage with no repercussions.

and Workman has now allowed 14 H and 6 BB in 9 IP this season - but ladies and germs, he is your Phillies closer.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Pegan got the save, but something happened during the last hitter he faced--a twinge, tweak something. the trainer came out, but Pagan stayed in and closed it out. If he's hurt--Stammen will likely get the call.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Looks like Joe Jiminez may lose his gig as his ERA climbs to over a dozen.

Comment

• The Pirates place Keone Kela on the 10-day IL, retroactive to August 24, with right forearm tightness.

The Cardinals place Andrew Miller on the 10-day IL with left shoulder fatigue.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                                Looks like Joe Jiminez may lose his gig as his ERA climbs to over a dozen.
                                This appears to have happened - CBS blurb has told me Jimenez is out as DET closer, replaced by committee.

Comment

Working...
                                X