High $$ Extension for Gerrit Cole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High $$ Extension for Gerrit Cole?

Lots of talk about extensions lately, so I thought I'd include my own dilemma. 12 team AL Only with relatively high inflation, especially on studs. Top hitters reach $65-$70, top pitchers will fetch $50-$60, mediocre vets and hot prospect SPs hit $30. Last year at the auction, Verlander went for $53, Kluber $52, Carrasco $50, Porcello $32, E-Rodriguez $29, etc. I traded for an extendable G. Cole $34, and I'm sure if he went back in the draft he would hit close to $60. I like to be aggressive with my extensions, figuring that I can always work with eating a salary, or working around an at value guy later if the extension goes bust. I more often regret my non-extensions than my over-extensions.

My other pitching keepers are Snell $16 (thru '21) and Clevinger $11 (thru '21). With 3 of the top 5-8 SP locked up for multiple years, I feel great (unless Clevinger gets sent to the NL).

I know most here would never extend a pitcher to a 3 year term over $40, but I'm strongly considering pushing Cole to $44 thru '22. Am I nuts? I just like the idea of locking up the #1 SP in the league under market rate, even if the extra year sucks out some of the profit margin. Does the league context change the equation at all?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

are rookie contracts really REALLY low, causing serious inflation or your league simple prefers forcing top dollar on the studs?

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Lots of talk about extensions lately, so I thought I'd include my own dilemma. 12 team AL Only with relatively high inflation, especially on studs. Top hitters reach $65-$70, top pitchers will fetch $50-$60, mediocre vets and hot prospect SPs hit $30. Last year at the auction, Verlander went for $53, Kluber $52, Carrasco $50, Porcello $32, E-Rodriguez $29, etc. I traded for an extendable G. Cole $34, and I'm sure if he went back in the draft he would hit close to $60. I like to be aggressive with my extensions, figuring that I can always work with eating a salary, or working around an at value guy later if the extension goes bust. I more often regret my non-extensions than my over-extensions.

My other pitching keepers are Snell $16 (thru '21) and Clevinger $11 (thru '21). With 3 of the top 5-8 SP locked up for multiple years, I feel great (unless Clevinger gets sent to the NL).

I know most here would never extend a pitcher to a 3 year term over $40, but I'm strongly considering pushing Cole to $44 thru '22. Am I nuts? I just like the idea of locking up the #1 SP in the league under market rate, even if the extra year sucks out some of the profit margin. Does the league context change the equation at all?
      Given the price of the other pitchers in your league, my first thought was to go even longer at $49. So, i definitely have no problem with $44 if that's where you feel more comfortable.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I would go to 44. I am in a super high inflation league too, because are minors are cheap and our rookies cheap. I think leagues like this are different, and that is why most here do not get taking the risk on extensions of studs, because they do not have to deal with the nutso inflation.

Comment

Working...
        X