Never give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never give up

The owner of our last place team (16 teams) essentially quit early in June. If he wants to return, he will have to petition the Commish due to the inactivity.

It's easy to see why, because these players were on the roster at year end. The number is the round of the pick picking up the player's option would cost, (k) indicating no option. Three keepers are required, so the draft essentially starts in round four.

Robinson Cano (k), Kyle Freeland (k), Nick Castellanos (k), Mike Moustakas (k)
    Nomar Mazara (5)
    Jared Hughes (6)
    Ben Zobrist (8)
    Tanner Roark (9)
    Joey Wendle (10)
    Matt Kemp (11)
    Kiki Hernandez (12)
    Mike Montgomery (14)
    Scott Schebler (15)
    Trevor Williams (19)
    Brad Boxberger (24)
    Clay Buchholz (25)
    Hernan Perez (26)
    Jordan Yamamoto (w)

Blecch, right?

This is what is left after hauling the garbage

Jacob deGrom (k)
    Max Scherzer (k)
    Javier Baez (k)

Mallex Smith (7)
    Marcus Stroman (16)
    Josh Hader (17)
    Austin Meadows (18)

That (18) on Austin Meadows means options through 2023. He might be the second most valuable property in the league. With our rules, I would trade Yelich for him. In addition he owns the first overall pick

There must be some sort of karma going on here.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

What happens to the team if the Comish denies his request to return?

Comment

Not following what you mean, can you explain further - how did this team end up with Meadows?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        And why would any commish approve his return if he bailed on more than half a season ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          And why would any commish approve his return if he bailed on more than half a season ?
          Exactly. That is why I asked the question.

Leaving room if there maybe some dire circumstances that might make it the best decision to give a second chance.

Comment

Do you want it?

The Commish probably won't deny. The owner did not 100% abandon the team. He just stopped doing more than set the lineup once or twice a month, which is why I said essentially quit instead of quit. Most likely, he'll have to get a co-manager to do the upkeep.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Not following what you mean, can you explain further - how did this team end up with Meadows?
            Meadows was drafted as a late round prospect prior to the 2017 season. So was Juan Soto, the only player in the league clearly worth more.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Do you want it?

The Commish probably won't deny. The owner did not 100% abandon the team. He just stopped doing more than set the lineup once or twice a month, which is why I said essentially quit instead of quit. Most likely, he'll have to get a co-manager to do the upkeep.
              I'm very interested in the team if it is available. I've always wanted to co manage a team where the primary owner is lazy and uninterested so he does a half ass job. He couldn't even commit to fully quitting.
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

we have a minimum of 21 active players on a 23-man roster. so if you don't want to replace a backup catcher or a final pitching slot right away, you can do that. but if you hit 20 for more than a week - or lower - you get a polite prodding from the Commish.

we don't do weekly lineups #barebackstyle so it's not a big deal if you take a 2-week vacation at midseason and just let your boys play ball.

I hope the Commish reaches out to the owner to ask him if he can explain what happened. if an owner is struggling in his real life, bouncing him out of an enjoyable sector of camaraderie could just make things worse.

If I had an owner say at midseason that he'd rather not elaborate but yes he's hit a rough patch, I'd want to be compassionate about that. then the following spring, a mutual decision can be reached on whether the owner realistically can still operate his team.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

Meadows was drafted as a late round prospect prior to the 2017 season. So was Juan Soto, the only player in the league clearly worth more.
                  I'm confused, is he on the team or not? He's not in the top list which shows "these players were on the roster at year end"

My confusion may be based on what this phrase means: "This is what is left after hauling the garbage"
                  Last edited by Ken; 12-16-2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I'm confused, is he on the team or not? He's not in the top list which shows "these players were on the roster at year end"

My confusion may be based on what this phrase means: "This is what is left after hauling the garbage"
                    He missed Meadows on the top list. He does remain after the obvious cuts (taking out the garbage). Meadows is on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

I hope the Commish reaches out to the owner to ask him if he can explain what happened. if an owner is struggling in his real life, bouncing him out of an enjoyable sector of camaraderie could just make things worse.

If I had an owner say at midseason that he'd rather not elaborate but yes he's hit a rough patch, I'd want to be compassionate about that. then the following spring, a mutual decision can be reached on whether the owner realistically can still operate his team.
                      100% in agreement.

Comment

He missed Meadows on the top list. He does remain after the obvious cuts (taking out the garbage). Meadows is on the team.
                        Sorry for being slow, but I don't get it - none of the names in the bottom list are in the top list. But the top list is the end of year list. So what is the bottom list? What does "hauling the garbage" mean? Is the top list and the bottom list the same team? I don't see how anyone could go from the top to the bottom. And if the bottom list players were in the top list then it doesn't look like a team that was mismanaged at all. So confused.

Comment

Sorry for being slow, but I don't get it - none of the names in the bottom list are in the top list. But the top list is the end of year list. So what is the bottom list? What does "hauling the garbage" mean? Is the top list and the bottom list the same team? I don't see how anyone could go from the top to the bottom. And if the bottom list players were in the top list then it doesn't look like a team that was mismanaged at all. So confused.
                          I am taking it as the top is the garbage and bottom is what is left. Otherwise why would the title be never give up?

Comment

I am taking it as the top is the garbage and bottom is what is left. Otherwise why would the title be never give up?
                            I have no idea. Not following what is being asked here or the scenario. Normally these are pretty easy.

Comment

Gregg has it right. This is the sort of team you would love to acquire as the newest member of a league. With a bit of luck, it could contend this year.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X