Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clubhouse Chemistry

Is it real, a myth, or an excuse?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

winning solves everything
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Somewhat real, but mostly an excuse. Like in any workplace it helps to enjoy spending time with your co-workers, but employees can be just as productive if they hate each others' guts. Since baseball is such an individual sport, there isn't a whole lot of chemistry necessary on the field. There may be a slight advantage if the chemistry is good enough that it improves the players' general mood (and vice-versa), but it's pretty much negligible.

Plus, winning breeds chemistry so it's kind of a chicken or the egg type thing.

Comment

It didn't matter when Bonds and Kent didn't like each other but had no problem being on the same team. However, I think ARod really messed with the Yankee clubhouse chemistry.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I've always thought of the 'bad team chemistry' argument as the answer people give when a team is not playing well when they cant come up w any better explanation. It's sort of code for 'I dont know why this team isnt playing better'. Then again, I've never played team sports at any really competitive level, and I'm sure that many people that have will swear that team chemistry is very important. Of course, it goes w/o saying that good team chemistry is desirable, and probably beneficial to a certain extent. But I've also thought that team chemistry is kind of like a Playboy centerfold as your girlfriend: great to have but you dont really need it. What is needed are players that are talented and give it 100% when they're between the lines. What players do outside the lines is less important. I think that teams like the Oakland A's of the early to mid-70's and the Yankee teams of the late 70's are proof that team chemistry isnt necessarily essential.

Comment

It matters mainly when a team is at a tipping point, like they are struggling and some key guys don't believe in the manager. If the leadership vibe is "we're doomed with this guy," results are liable to be poor until the change is made.

Also, if a team expected to win a lot gets off to a bad start, it does not hurt to have either the clubhouse prankster or the charismatic veteran. It doesn't so much make you play better as it does prevent you from again playing worse.

But it's a bit overrated in terms of the "we are family" stuff. That's nice, and you avoid that downside, but if your starting pitchers get hurt, you're screwed anyway.

I have seen firsthand a good and bad 'chemistry' crew or two, though. I just agree that it's trite to turn every winning team into a family and every losing one into a pit of vipers..
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think certain players can be an inspiration to their teammates, guys you can depend upon to play hard all the time. I think that sort of thing can be contagious, provided you have the right bunch of fellows. Conversely, if you have a guy who occasionally mails it in, and is more interested in his personal stats than the team's success, it can make it harder for everyone else to have a good frame of mind.

Comment

I think it's a factor. I know they are professionals but they are also human. If you are the odd man out of a clique or have a rival, it can both motivate you and hinder you. I think a consistent, happy athlete is better for the team.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I've never played professionally, but I played varsity basketball in high school. The starting five got along very well, but there was one guy who always played flat out, like there was no tomorrow. I know that he inspired me to play at a higher level, not as a rivalry thing, but more as a everybody pulls his weight thing.

There are some guys I don't think I would like to be on a team with...guys like Manny Ramirez, and to a lesser extent Albert "Don't Call Me Joey" Belle. Canseco would be another.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    I've never played professionally, but I played varsity basketball in high school. The starting five got along very well, but there was one guy who always played flat out, like there was no tomorrow. I know that he inspired me to play at a higher level, not as a rivalry thing, but more as a everybody pulls his weight thing.

There are some guys I don't think I would like to be on a team with...guys like Manny Ramirez, and to a lesser extent Albert "Don't Call Me Joey" Belle. Canseco would be another.
                    Unless you play high-end charity games, you probably don't have to worry.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Having actually worked in a clubhouse 7 times this season, I have heard/seen enough to believe in clubhouse chemistry. I thought it was overrated beforehand, but now I'm beginning to see there is some merit to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X