Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was I thinking? I drafted Eflin today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    sigh
    we have always had weekly moves. we still do.
    the old way, if you lost a guy during the week, you could claim someone immediately, effective on the next Thursday - or wait for something better to come along. lots of choices.

now, no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days, if you lose a guy on Thursday night. moves don't get determined until Thursday at noon - via Bidmeister. so anyone who is hitting during that span will get snatched away, unless you are at/near the top of the pecking order.
    You still aren't being clear sorry. Using bidmeister I can claim someone immediately, effective the next FAAB date, or I can wait for someone better to come along. No change from how you describe it.

Not sure what you guys have setup weird to where you can't set your pending moves. Sounds like the commish needs to adjust some settings, because that is not an attribute of bidmeister.

Comment

if you can claim someone immediately, what do you need "Bidmeister" for? it sets a weekly order of priority claims, for instance, that sound useless to your league.

maybe you can offer some attributes about what your owners like about it?

wait, are you saying that you can "claim" someone immediately - but not know if you get them? if so, that's exactly what I said sucks about it. and why bother claiming someone on a Saturday if you won't get any news until 5 days later?

the word "claim" may be the problem, as we are using it differently.
      the old way, if Dickerson goes to DL, and I want Shuck out of the FA pool, I can claim him immediately - he's now on my team, with stats counting beginning on Thursday. I can't do that anymore. there's nothing to do all week even if you have an opening, unless you have a player returning from the DL/minors.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

the old way, if Dickerson goes to DL, and I want Shuck out of the FA pool, I can claim him immediately - he's now on my team, with stats counting beginning on Thursday.
        Hahahaha, I see the confusion - earlier you said you did weekly moves in previous years . That's incorrect - you used to do daily and now you do weekly. That has nothing to do with bidmeister which is simply Onroto's engine for processing FAAB bids.

It is EXACTLY what I said before. You switched from a daily pickup league to a weekly pickup league and you are blaming the league software for it. It's not the software that is the issue. Your league changed its rules.

Comment

Here's the onroto bidmeister setting you'll need to change:

On which days are owner free agent bids/claims due (check all that apply). Note that this question is asking about the deadline for owners to submit their bids or claims, and NOT when the moves will take effect. NOTE ALSO: We treat "midnight" as "0:00 on the following day", so if you want your deadline to be at midnight, select the next day as the due day -- "Monday at 0:00" for "midnight Sunday," for example.
          It sounds like you have just Thursdays selected currently. To move it to a daily claims league you just select every day instead.

Comment

funny, some people think that "daily moves" means you can change your active lineup each day. we never have been able to - and still can't.
            you don't think that's what it means?

meanwhile, trying for a third time:

also, are you related to the Bidmeister inventor or something?
            based on the number of options related to putting a weekly sequence in for bids once a week, clearly many people use it for that. and I'm saying that approach - which is what our league voted to do - sucks.

and I'll ask again, if no sequence is needed, what do you need Bidmeister for?

all I know is that it's Eflin's fault.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

funny, some people think that "daily moves" means you can change your active lineup each day. we never have been able to - and still can't.
              you don't think that's what it means?
              We were talking about roster moves and you said that your league was weekly. Odd way to describe it if you meant lineup changes, but ... sure, if you say so....

meanwhile, trying for a third time:

For the 3rd time, there's no "like it" aspect that I need to describe, it's just a FAAB system that works. You've yet to describe why you don't like it, you only described why you didn't like weekly FAAB as opposed to daily FAAB which isn't an attribute of bidmeister it is an attribute of the choices your league made. I'm not sure why this is so hard.

also, are you related to the Bidmeister inventor or something?
              Haha, no, did the inventor of Bidmeister kill your parents or something?

based on the number of options related to putting a weekly sequence in for bids once a week, clearly many people use it for that. and I'm saying that approach - which is what our league voted to do - sucks.
              Haha, that's like saying my jeep sucks because I drive it only on highways, and a lot of people drive their cars on highways so that must be what jeeps are for.
              If you setup your league in a way that you don't like, guess what, it will be setup in a way you don't like. It's not magic.

If you want daily transactions, select daily transactions.

and I'll ask again, if no sequence is needed, what do you need Bidmeister for?
              Because it's the FAAB processing engine for onroto? What do you "need" any league software for?

all I know is that it's Eflin's fault.
              True.

Comment

let's get away from your beloved B[idm....] word.

- in daily leagues, you can make moves every day, effective that day.

- in some weekly leagues, I call them "pounce" leagues, while it sucks to lose you guy to DL or minors at least you can check the FA pool right away, then strategize whether to grab one right away and risk buyer's remorse - or risk kicking yourself for waiting to long to decide. (this is what we had)

- in other weekly leagues, owners sit on their hands all week, then check just before the weekly deadline to see if there is anyone they hope to get. then a magic program scans the priority list, and spits out who got whom. this is what we do now. #boring

- I don't understand what your league does, to be honest.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

let's get away from your beloved B[idm....] word.
                  If you insist - but so we are clear that's the root of what I had issue with, you were confusing the impact of a specific FAAB software package with the selections your league made in said package.
                  It's not my "beloved" in any way, I use CBS, onroto, and fantrax, and all of them work fine. There's no appreciable difference in how "good" they are. I don't like any of them more than any other, they all do their job.

- in daily leagues, you can make moves every day, effective that day.

- in some weekly leagues, I call them "pounce" leagues, while it sucks to lose you guy to DL or minors at least you can check the FA pool right away, then strategize whether to grab one right away and risk buyer's remorse - or risk kicking yourself for waiting to long to decide. (this is what we had)

- in other weekly leagues, owners sit on their hands all week, then check just before the weekly deadline to see if there is anyone they hope to get. then a magic program scans the priority list, and spits out who got whom. this is what we do now. #boring
                  Weekly roster changes make a lot of sense for a lot of leagues. Pretty sure TOUT and LABR use them. Isn't it the industry standard? Call them boring if you prefer. It sounds like you are just opposed to change from what you are used to, which is fine.

Leagues with daily changes tend to feature more pitcher streaming, which can be troublesome to some leagues.

I don't understand what your league does, to be honest.
                  What my particular league does isn't relevant.

Comment

"What my particular league does isn't relevant."

well, I can't top that ending!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

"What my particular league does isn't relevant."

well, I can't top that ending!
                      Reading comprehension fail.... again.
                      Swing and a miss - strike 3 you are out!

Comment

This is a super awesome convo about Efflin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          This is a super awesome convo about Efflin.
                          What are your thoughts, is he going to take a big step forward this year or is it a mirage?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            What are your thoughts, is he going to take a big step forward this year or is it a mirage?
                            It is hard to believe he will end up being as good as he looks in this very limited sample size, but I'm annoyed I didn't go the extra buck on him. He is the sort I usually target. For whatever reason, he wasn't getting the sleeper hype Pivetta got, but he had as much stuff and upside; maybe more.

There were a lot of precursors for a big break out this year that seemed to not get a lot of attention from most sources. His k/9 went up from 4.9 to 8.7. His swinging strike percentage went up from 7.3 to 10.3. He faded late, but had an unlucky BABIP of 335 in the second half, despite a really good suppression rate of hard contact. He is still young and I'm sure will have at least a few steps back this year, and even best cases, I wouldn't bet on over 180 IP (although, I think only about 30 pitcher surpassed that mark last year, so that is a high bar), but I don't think he turns into a pumpkin. I wish the guy who did go to $3 on him would trade him to me for a reasonable return, but he won't. It is hard to pry a sleeper from someone when he is off to a fast start. He won't even counter. Maybe a bad start or two will let me snag him.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-08-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Eflin kept for 10 in my league
                              #nosleepers

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                It is hard to believe he will end up being as good as he looks in this very limited sample size, but I'm annoyed I didn't go the extra buck on him. He is the sort I usually target. For whatever reason, he wasn't getting the sleeper hype Pivetta got, but he had as much stuff and upside; maybe more.

There were a lot of precursors for a big break out this year that seemed to not get a lot of attention from most sources. His k/9 went up from 4.9 to 8.7. His swinging strike percentage went up from 7.3 to 10.3. He faded late, but had an unlucky BABIP of 335 in the second half, despite a really good suppression rate of hard contact. He is still young and I'm sure will have at least a few steps back this year, and even best cases, I wouldn't bet on over 180 IP (although, I think only about 30 pitcher surpassed that mark last year, so that is a high bar), but I don't think he turns into a pumpkin. I wish the guy who did go to $3 on him would trade him to me for a reasonable return, but he won't. It is hard to pry a sleeper from someone when he is off to a fast start. He won't even counter. Maybe a bad start or two will let me snag him.
                                With the ball being juiced, either guys who can consistently induce soft contact are at a premium, or that soft contact turns into hard contact and bad things happen. Dunno which yet. But the improved Phillies' defense will help the BABIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X