Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was I thinking? I drafted Eflin today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 6 reserves which you can move in and out of the starting line-up daily. I tend to have 1-2 for my offense and the rest for pitching. The strategy I use for pitchers is to put the starter on the bench unless he is pitching that day and keep the relievers activated. I usually will not keep a pitcher on the bench unless he has been is just killing me. I also like it if a player is day-to-day or DL then you can replace him right away provided you have a player to take his spot. I have heard the argument that you have to spend to much time on-line but I don't find that to be true. CBS does show who is the pitcher starting the day before so you can make your moves in five minutes the night before. Or if you have a day where not all the teams are playing you can make an offense switch. Again this takes about 5 minutes to do.

Honestly there are different ways to play this fantasy sport that Okrent (BTW he was born in Detroit and grew up a Tiger's fan), Waggoner and others came up with back in 1984. Whether you are happy to play the same exact rules back then or whatever variant then more power to you. In the end you are the one that has to be happy with the rules put forth.

Comment

indeed.
      oh, and Bidmeister sucks.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        Why not use FAAB? Everyone starts the season with the same budget to use to acquire free agents, and each week, you're allowed to use that budget to submit bids. Highest bid wins, and any player acquired with a bid over $50 must be kept, or an actual cash penalty must be paid into next season's pool. We use standings for waiver wire position - any released player spends a week on waivers and can be claimed, with priority in reverse order of standings, before becoming a free agent who is thereafter eligible for FAAB bids.

Bidmeister sounds terrible. An owner still has to be "lucky" to be the team with the highest priority that week, in order to get the hot minor leaguer or AL traded player. FAAB gives everyone an equal shot, dependent on how high they want to go now vs how much they want to save to pursue a future player (or players)
        I don't care how "original" FAAB might make fantasy baseball feel, but I for one absolutely positively HATE FAAB and everything about it. And once you pile on restrictions about the necessity of keeping players over a certain amount or actual cash penalties, well, count me out. I realise "restrictions" are in place to keep some from taking advantage of others, but to me, for my taste, FAAB changes the game too much. I have played fantasy baseball for over 20 years, including when FAAB was used, and I know what I like and what I don't, and I despise FAAB.

Comment

To come back to the OP's thread: Eflin is looking like a pretty good investment at this early point of the season, isn't he? His stuff is terrific and, as I said earlier, if he is able to harness it in his 3rd full year------------------?
          Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
            To come back to the OP's thread: Eflin is looking like a pretty good investment at this early point of the season, isn't he? His stuff is terrific and, as I said earlier, if he is able to harness it in his 3rd full year------------------?
            Yeah, wish I'd gone the extra buck on him. I've tried to get him, but his owner is a believer.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              indeed.
              oh, and Bidmeister sucks.
              Bidmeister is great actually. Like most things it tends to come down to the user.

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                As the OP, I am now quite happy with my $1 Elfin pick. Makes me look like an Elfin genius! That'll teach my league! Yeah, it's only been two starts, but he's on pace for 32 Wins!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Bidmeister is great actually. Like most things it tends to come down to the user.
                  well, it sucks for my league dynamics.

what is the dynamic where it is great? I haven't figured that out.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

well, it sucks for my league dynamics.

what is the dynamic where it is great? I haven't figured that out.
                    What exactly is the problem you are trying to solve? It has worked great in our league for years, no errors. Does your league just not understand how to do the contingent bids?

Comment

maybe you can offer some attributes about what your owners like about it? that was my actual question.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

maybe you can offer some attributes about what your owners like about it? that was my actual question.
                        It's just a faab system. Maybe I'm missing something. Your assertion is that it sucks. Why is that the case?

It's not that our owners "like" it as much as it just works as advertised. What is the issue that you are having exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
                          As the OP, I am now quite happy with my $1 Elfin pick. Makes me look like an Elfin genius! That'll teach my league! Yeah, it's only been two starts, but he's on pace for 32 Wins!
                          Makes you look a lot smarter than Keith, who took Michael Fulmer instead. Or me, who was really mad when Keith took Fulmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            It's just a faab system. Maybe I'm missing something. Your assertion is that it sucks. Why is that the case?

It's not that our owners "like" it as much as it just works as advertised. What is the issue that you are having exactly?
                            old way: I own Dickerson, he goes to the DL last week about 6 hours after our weekly moves, but I can check the available players list. hmm, JB Shuck may get some of the new PT - but he shucks. Pirates bring up the kid Martin - a better play? what's a Zagunis and why is he hitting .500 for the Cubs? Howie Kendrick, a favorite of mine but how often will he play?

so lots of choices.

with Bidmeister? no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days.
                            and come Thursday morning, I'll be 7th in the pecking order - so anyone who is hitting this week will be snatched away.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

old way: I own Dickerson, he goes to the DL last week about 6 hours after our weekly moves, but I can check the available players list. hmm, JB Shuck may get some of the new PT - but he shucks. Pirates bring up the kid Martin - a better play? what's a Zagunis and why is he hitting .500 for the Cubs? Howie Kendrick, a favorite of mine but how often will he play?

so lots of choices.

with Bidmeister? no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days.
                              and come Thursday morning, I'll be 7th in the pecking order - so anyone who is hitting this week will be snatched away.
                              Huh? No idea what you are talking about. Are you saying you changed to weekly moves? That's not Bidmeister that's your league moving to weekly moves?

Comment

sigh
                                we have always had weekly moves. we still do.
                                the old way, if you lost a guy during the week, you could claim someone immediately, effective on the next Thursday - or wait for something better to come along. lots of choices.

now, no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days, if you lose a guy on Thursday night. moves don't get determined until Thursday at noon - via Bidmeister. so anyone who is hitting during that span will get snatched away, unless you are at/near the top of the pecking order.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X