Paying full inflation on Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying full inflation on Trout

12-team mixed 5x5 with on-base and slug replacing BA and HR.

The average projected value of Trout is about $60. I've calculated inflation in my league to be about around 28% which results in a $77 price tag. Interestingly, that's what his projected price was last year and I actually won him at $77. And finished 11th. (For reference, Goldschmidt went for $71, Altuve $69 to two teams that also did not finish in the money...and both are also available again).

Betts is being kept at $51, so the next highest priced player is Jose Ramirez at $57. Now, I know how great Trout is, but is he really worth $20 more than Ramirez? I just don't know if I can do it again after last year. Thoughts?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Pros:

If I'm ever going to go to crazy high bids for top players its in a shallow league. And 12 team mixed is about as shallow as I'd go for. The replacement level there is so high that you can't be too worried about the end of your roster, you focus your money towards the top of it and get your stars.

Cons:

If I'm paying $77 I want to pay it at the auction, not for keepers. I want my keepers to represent a profit - players who I can get at prices lower than their value + inflation. If I'm paying full price, I may as well just throw the player back and rebuy.
    If you had told me $67. That's a big number, but it's a $10 profit by your calculation, so I'm fine with it. But paying full price for a keeper doesn't make much sense to me.

Combining the pros and cons I think I'd throw Trout back and allocate $77 in my plan to buying him right back at auction. If you get him cheaper, GREAT. If he goes a buck or 2 more, no big loss, go ahead and buy (in theory you may be saving $2 with your last keeper that you keep instead of Trout). If it goes way too high, then re-allocate the money, it's not the end of the world and Trout will go early in the auction so you have plenty of time to recover.

Just my 2c.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Pros:

If I'm ever going to go to crazy high bids for top players its in a shallow league. And 12 team mixed is about as shallow as I'd go for. The replacement level there is so high that you can't be too worried about the end of your roster, you focus your money towards the top of it and get your stars.

Cons:

If I'm paying $77 I want to pay it at the auction, not for keepers. I want my keepers to represent a profit - players who I can get at prices lower than their value + inflation. If I'm paying full price, I may as well just throw the player back and rebuy.
      If you had told me $67. That's a big number, but it's a $10 profit by your calculation, so I'm fine with it. But paying full price for a keeper doesn't make much sense to me.

Combining the pros and cons I think I'd throw Trout back and allocate $77 in my plan to buying him right back at auction. If you get him cheaper, GREAT. If he goes a buck or 2 more, no big loss, go ahead and buy (in theory you may be saving $2 with your last keeper that you keep instead of Trout). If it goes way too high, then re-allocate the money, it's not the end of the world and Trout will go early in the auction so you have plenty of time to recover.

Just my 2c.
      I must not have been clear, I don't have him as a keeper. I auctioned him last year, then dumped him. We have a running gag in our league because no one who's rostered the most expensive player in the auction has ever won. Trout is obviously that guy this year, and I'm just not sure I want to spend so much more on him again than next tier guys (Betts went for $51). By the sound of your reply, you'd have no problem paying that much for him again. That's what I'm unsure of.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I must not have been clear, I don't have him as a keeper. I auctioned him last year, then dumped him. We have a running gag in our league because no one who's rostered the most expensive player in the auction has ever won. Trout is obviously that guy this year, and I'm just not sure I want to spend so much more on him again than next tier guys (Betts went for $51). By the sound of your reply, you'd have no problem paying that much for him again. That's what I'm unsure of.
        Ah gotcha. If my process tells me he's worth $77 I'd certainly go to $77 personally. I've won many leagues with the most expensive player rostered. Hell I think I bought the 2 most expensive players last year. I bought both Altuve and Kershaw in the same auction last year (Trout and several others were kept at more reasonable prices) and I went stars and scrubs to go along with my keepers. But I also had the 1st pick in the reserves (Acuna), and I picked up Snell for cheap, and I had kept Diaz for cheap, etc.

I think we put too much emphasis on the price of a star player. Even when they fail you can recover if the rest of your roster is solid enough.

Comment

Ah gotcha. If my process tells me he's worth $77 I'd certainly go to $77 personally. I've won many leagues with the most expensive player rostered. Hell I think I bought the 2 most expensive players last year. I bought both Altuve and Kershaw in the same auction last year (Trout and several others were kept at more reasonable prices) and I went stars and scrubs to go along with my keepers. But I also had the 1st pick in the reserves (Acuna), and I picked up Snell for cheap, and I had kept Diaz for cheap, etc.

I think we put too much emphasis on the price of a star player. Even when they fail you can recover if the rest of your roster is solid enough.
          Good points. I had Carpenter, Bumgarner, Seager, and my team was buried by May 10th (or so I thought). I traded Carpenter like the day he caught fire.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Here's the auction I'm talking about from last year:

Comment

Agree with the part I put in bold. I think you need stars to compete for the title. Hell I am keeping 3 players who are each over $50 in a 14 team mixed keeper league. Budget is $300. So I say go get Trout for up to that $77...or $78..or $79.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

last year I froze Rizzo 42, Kershaw 42, and Harper 41.

none was worth it, but I still finished 4th. if any of the three had a huge year, I could have/would have won. I placed 16 points back, and Kershaw alone cost me 10 points off his peak. with a flip in two categories vs the leader, that gets me within 4 points by that one adjustment'.

now, "well, you should have known Kershaw would get hurt" is fine - but not really the point. if I had been able to buy Scherzer for 42, for instance (frozen at 39), there you go - even being dragged down by 2 expensive hitters in a non-OPB league.

agreed on the shallowness of this league making the big bid more alluring. if one starting player gets hurt, you can just replace him with another one. the dropoff is less.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

But my point is, would you rather have Trout or Jose Ramirez + $20? There's no guarantee that will happen but as I said Betts went for $27 less (to the 3rd place finisher). I'm just not sure if Trout is that much better. (Last year I was more confident that he was).
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

well, I would be more comfortable with inflation-adjusted prices on healthy studs like these (as opposed to getting locked in on a value for a Daniel Murphy, Jordan Hicks, Clayton Kershaw, etc.).

I'd rather pay $50 for a $55 inflation-adjusted player than $77 for a $77 inflation-adjusted player.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

But my point is, would you rather have Trout or Jose Ramirez + $20? There's no guarantee that will happen but as I said Betts went for $27 less (to the 3rd place finisher). I'm just not sure if Trout is that much better. (Last year I was more confident that he was).
                      Hope that Ramirez is tossed first? My guess is that the difference won't be $20 this year. And, hell, it's a 12-teamer. Buy them both.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Agree with the part I put in bold. I think you need stars to compete for the title. Hell I am keeping 3 players who are each over $50 in a 14 team mixed keeper league. Budget is $300. So I say go get Trout for up to that $77...or $78..or $79.
                        Ok, but that translates to $43 with a $260 budget. $79 meanwhile translates to $91.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Hope that Ramirez is tossed first? My guess is that the difference won't be $20 this year. And, hell, it's a 12-teamer. Buy them both.
                          No, I asked him and he's either nominating Trout or Scherzer. Scherzer is another guy who I don't think I'd pay the inflated price for ($47). I already have Bauer, Flaherty, Folty, and EdRod for $17 and want to focus on hitting.

But it sounds like the consensus here is pay full price for the best players rather than stick to a plan. Not sure I agree.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Hold up, something feels off here.

If Trout's is worth $77 in your inflated prices, then it seems like Scherzer is worth more than $47.

Comment

Ok, but that translates to $43 with a $260 budget. $79 meanwhile translates to $91.
                              I'm not convinced that Trout is THAT much better than the other hitters in his Tier, but if one has a nice set of cheap keepers, why not pay top $$$ for him.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X