Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our league has updated scoring categories... Help me figure out impact on pitchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our league has updated scoring categories... Help me figure out impact on pitchers

First a few details on our league.. 12 team AL only league uses 5x5 scoring with standard 23 man rosters and $260 cap.

A few years ago we switched from Wins to QS and from Saves to Saves+Holds (each count 1). One reason this was done was to give more value to MR and setup guys and reduce for prices paid for a closer.

We just voted in a revised scoring rule where now QS will be replaced by QS= 2 + Wins =1 and Saves+Holds will now be Saves = 2 + Holds =1.
    A top line SP can now get a win and a QS in the same game (3 points), so I can see higher prices being paid for top SP. But I am not sure on the impact on relievers. Some league members feel that MR can now help with either a Win or a Hold and that will put more value than before on a good setup/MR. But I don't see this as saves now being 2 points should place a much value on closers.

Has anyone else been in a league with a similar change? What are the thoughts on the impact of draft day inflation? I am sure that the are a few things that I have not considered........
    thanks for any comments

I was half awake when posting my reply and then when I read it, it made no sense.

Then when I tried to edit it by removing everything it said I had to have at least 5 characters in my post.

This is a long way of saying that I've wasted 15 minutes but learned the lesson of not posting before having my morning coffee.

Last edited by harmon; 02-26-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
      I was half awake when posting my reply and then when I read it, it made no sense.

Then when I tried to edit it by removing everything it said I had to have at least 5 characters in my post.

This is a long way of saying that I've wasted 15 minutes but learned the lesson of not posting before having my morning coffee.

Good advice...says the guy that took his first morning sip while reading your reply.

Comment

While the top closers will get 35-40 saves (or more, hello Edwin Diaz) ... the top holds guys generally end up in the 25-30 range. Add in the fact that saves are worth more and it seems like MRs are pretty devalued... BUT, at the same time, it's a deep AL only league, and so a guy like Ryan Pressly still has a ton of value for his ratios. It makes it easier to feel good about drafting speculative closers, since they'll still have a chance of contributing to the SV+HD category, if not as much. So all of Trevor May, Blake Parker and Trevor Hildenberger, probably, and Ryan Brasier and Matt Barnes, definitely, but I'm a little less interested in whoever Oakland's #2 is.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          While the top closers will get 35-40 saves (or more, hello Edwin Diaz) ... the top holds guys generally end up in the 25-30 range. Add in the fact that saves are worth more and it seems like MRs are pretty devalued... BUT, at the same time, it's a deep AL only league, and so a guy like Ryan Pressly still has a ton of value for his ratios. It makes it easier to feel good about drafting speculative closers, since they'll still have a chance of contributing to the SV+HD category, if not as much. So all of Trevor May, Blake Parker and Trevor Hildenberger, probably, and Ryan Brasier and Matt Barnes, definitely, but I'm a little less interested in whoever Oakland's #2 is.
          Someone had their coffee.

Good stuff JC.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Thanks JC. Any other comments?

Comment

I'm in a saves n holds league. I won the 20 team league, finishing 2nd in NSnH with Jordan Hicks, Jose Alvarado, and Adam Ottavino. None were top 200 ADP.

Drafting closers is the obvious mistake. JC is right that top hold guys get only 25-30 holds, but they usually vulture a handful of saves. In the end, they will get close to the same number of S+H. Josh Hader is your objective--K/9, ratios, IP. Let the S+H take care of itself.

I suggest you go to baseballmonster and set up the rules for your league. Play with it a while, old rules vs new rules, to see how the rule changes play with the rankings. You can import projections from Fangraphs for this season.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                Thanks JC. Any other comments?
                Surprisingly few pitchers actually throw the 6 IP needed for a QS. Don't be afraid to let people go insane over Verlander and Cole if they are in love with QS. (On the flip side, if they don't... then go get those guys!)

Given the increased value of wins I would throw a few bucks on the "followers" who come into games after openers (Ryan Yarbrough being the prime example). Maybe Jalen Beeks for a buck? Maybe see who else might use an opener? Minnesota and Oakland dabbled last year.

Comment

Working...
                X