First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

I just had this rather nice team dropped in my lap. It's a shallow 12 team league and I don't play them much.

Standard 5x5, 12 team, ROTO

skwaH s'J
    J.T. Realmuto Phi - C,1B
    Whit Merrifield KC - 1B,2B,OF
    Jurickson Profar Oak - 1B,2B,3B,SS
    Carlos Santana Cle - 1B,3B
    Amed Rosario NYM - SS Amed
    Aaron Judge NYY - OF
    Tommy Pham TB - OF
    Victor Robles Was - OF
    Mallex Smith Sea - OF
    Willson Contreras ChC - C

Chris Sale Bos - SP
    Luis Severino NYY - SP
    Adam Ottavino NYY - RP
    Collin McHugh Hou - RP
    Patrick Corbin Was - SP
    Mike Clevinger Cle - SP
    Zack Wheeler NYM - SP
    Luis Castillo Cin - SP

Garrett Hampson Col - 2B,SS
    Shohei Ohtani (Batter) LAA - Util
    Peter Alonso NYM - 1B
    Forrest Whitley Hou - SP
    Joe Musgrove Pit - SP

It's so new the WW has not cleared yet. How good is this in 12 team mixed?

Other than hunting saves and finding a DH, are there any other issues that jump out? Which of the non-starters are not worth hanging onto in this shallow a league?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Ohtani can be your DH. Ottavino is far enough down the Yankees pecking order for saves that he is expendable in a 12 teamer. Musgrove looks like your #8 SP and is also not needed.

I would wait until the end of spring training before deciding on Whitley, Hampson, and Alonso. Unless you can deal one of them to fill a need.

I still think you need more HR & RBI. You have lots of SB and i would probably look to deal some for saves.
    Last edited by madducks; 02-25-2019, 01:58 AM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, way way way too much speed and way light on power. Good value, though, so if you can make some trades you should be fine.

Comment

At first glance, that group of SP should be the best in the league by a mile. I would try and deal Castillo or Wheeler for a reliever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          At first glance, that group of SP should be the best in the league by a mile. I would try and deal Castillo or Wheeler for a reliever.
          Don't forget this is 12 team mixed, every team looks amazing in shallow formats. Ottavino and McHugh may not even be close to replacement level in this format. It's a very good staff to be sure, but I don't think it's best in the league by a mile.

The hitting is a little weaker in comparison.

Overall looks like a slightly above average 12-teamer.
          Last edited by Ken; 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Just taking what was at the top of waivers, I dropped Hampson, Musgrove, and McHugh for Trey Mancini, Jordan Hicks, and Seranthony Domingez. Does that help any?

I don't need two C but I suspect two were required in the draft format. In any event, Contreras is too good to cut, so he, Castillo, and Mallex Smith are trade bait.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I think you can cut Ottavino, in a 12 team league, the replacement level is so high that you can find another stud MI that doesn't get saves on the waiver wire in the middle of april if you need it. You've also got a pretty rock solid staff for ratios so I don't see Ottavino helping you much there. I would have kept Hampson b/c of his positional eligibility and SB potential. You are potentially weak at SS and if speed should be easy to deal

Comment

Originally posted by ssmallz View Post
                I think you can cut Ottavino, in a 12 team league, the replacement level is so high that you can find another stud MI that doesn't get saves on the waiver wire in the middle of april if you need it. You've also got a pretty rock solid staff for ratios so I don't see Ottavino helping you much there. I would have kept Hampson b/c of his positional eligibility and SB potential. You are potentially weak at SS and if speed should be easy to deal
                MI is so deep this year though that in a 12 team league the replacement level players are quite good.

Comment

Point taken, eg Pressly and Jeffress. I picked up Matt Burnes who can at least match the Ks.

I also offered Contreras, Rosario and a SP to the teams with the worst starting Cs.

A. Rosario NYM - SS, W. Contreras ChC - C, Z. Wheeler NYM - SP for
                  J. Alfaro Mia - C, M. Chapman Oak - 3B, P. Strop ChC - RP

W. Contreras ChC - C, P. Corbin Was - SP for
                  F. Mejía SD - C, O. Albies Atl - 2B

Does either of those seem out of line?

J
                  Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I don't like Albies nearly enough to do that second one. First one is good though.

Comment

I love Albies, but I don't see much point to the second one, either. You are downgrading twice, and Rosario and Albies are very similar players--speed and middling power with massive upside and downside in average and power. Seems to lateral of a move for two downgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        I don't like Albies nearly enough to do that second one. First one is good though.
                        True, but if I was the other owner, I would pass on his offer.

Comment

Working...
                        X