Keepers and strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I elected not to keep either Collin McHugh or Jo Adell, which gives me two picks in rounds heavily consumed by options. One reason is this team:

Round 1*: Mike Trout
    Round 2*: Clayton Kershaw
    Round 3*: Anthony Rizzo
    Round 4: George Springer
    Round 5:
    Round 6:
    Round 7:
    Round 8: Jonathan Villar
    Round 9:
    Round 10`: Cody Bellinger
    Round 11`: Jake Bauers (w#206)
    Round 12`:
    Round 13`:
    Round 14`:
    Round 15`:
    Round 16`: Jose Berrios
    Round 17`: Jake Lamb
    Round 18:
    Round 19:
    Round 20:
    Round 21: Willy Adames
    Round 22: Forrest Whitley

Trout has been bad luck for him. He won before he acquired Trout, but not since. None-the-less that looks like a potent core and he has lots of picks.

J
    If Kershaw stays healthy that is a great team. If he doesn't that is a very good team.

Comment

He and I have traded a bunch but I don't see anything obvious to offer.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yeah, not convinced Adell is worth a 12th rounder next year even though I like him. The Braves tried hard to block Riley both of the last 2 seasons so I'm just not sure. I guess given your structure he IS more likely to be worth a 12th rounder next year than Adell even if I like him less down the road.
        Braves didn't block Riley last year; he wasn't anywhere near ready. This year, yes. From how I read the rumors, they are shopping him everywhere, too, so your main point may be right. The K-rate is a danger sign.

Comment

The deal for Heaney has been called traderape.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

We set a record for most players retained. Pickings were going to be slim, which led to even more options being exercised. Because of an unprecedented number of players kept, I have pick #4, not #7, then pick #13.

Here is the top 25 available players, by ADP. Of the top 200, only 43 remain.

Segura Jean SS
            Chapman Aroldis RP
            Cruz Nelson Util
            Price David SP
            Doolittle Sean RP
            Iglesias Raisel RP
            Gordon Dee 2B/SS/OF
            Perez Salvador C
            Davis Wade RP
            Martinez Carlos SP/RP
            Yates Kirby RP
            Dozier Brian 2B
            Cano Robinson 1B/2B
            Odor Rougned 2B
            Contreras Willson C
            Giles Ken RP
            Inciarte Ender OF
            Tanaka Masahiro SP
            Molina Yadier C
            McCutchen Andrew OF
            Desmond Ian 1B/OF
            Knebel Corey RP
            Hamels Cole SP
            Darvish Yu SP
            Eovaldi Nathan SP

Segura will almost certainly go first. Then, it could go a lot of directions. Unless Segura somehow slips through, I will offer my first pick to see what I can get.

J
            Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-08-2019, 09:09 PM.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Inexplicably Jean Segura was not kept, then not drafted in front of me. I acquired the top player in the whole draft pool. The picks in front of me were Salvador Perez, Price and Hosmer.

Eight picks and I am up again, then a very long wait. Does anyone have suggestions who to target?

J
              Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-10-2019, 12:06 PM.
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Assuming that Martinez and Tanaka get taken, i would take a chance on Darvish having a bounceback year. If he pitches a lot, he will definitely get you K's. What kind of ratios he will give you is the big question mark. But, i think if he is fully recovered, he will have decent ratios too. Hamels or Eovaldi if Darvish is gone.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Darvish and Odor were my knee jerk candidates. Yu is #29 on Paul Sporer's list of 120 SP, on a tier above Tanaka, Eovaldi and Hamels. Of the three I lean to Tanaka.

Odor is now gone. Martinez is gone. Chapman is gone. Cruz is gone. McCutchen gone (when did he turn into just another guy?)

Cano might be worth a one year play. He covers both CI and MI, will bat in the better part of the lineup and I don't need speed.

J
                  Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-11-2019, 01:54 AM.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I'd lean Tanaka too. And whoever got cutch did well. I think he will have a good hear.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Inexplicably Jean Segura was not kept, then not drafted in front of me. I acquired the top player in the whole draft pool. The picks in front of me were Salvador Perez, Price and Hosmer.

Eight picks and I am up again, then a very long wait. Does anyone have suggestions who to target?

J
                      That's awesome. I am still way out on Darvish. I like Cano. I also like Tanaka.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        That's awesome. I am still way out on Darvish. I like Cano. I also like Tanaka.
                        Tanaka and Cano were gone, so I defaulted to Darvish. If either he or Robbie Ray steps up, I have the ace I need. I won't have the best team on papaer. To win some lottery ticket has to pay off.

Now we wait til round 14, which is not as long as you might think (53 picks), but still a while. By then we will be deep in the 200s and starting to hit the stupid-early prospecting. It will be a good place for veteran depth and RP. To bad chancellor's playing time thread won't be out yet.

Is it just me or is the early season start cramping everyone's style?

J
                        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-11-2019, 11:48 PM.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The draft has wound through the redraft mode and is entering the two-year phase. Players can be retained in 2020 as a 6th round or lower pick, so a good time to get aging veterans that still produce. This part is very brief because of the large number of options executed in these rounds. Rounds 10-13 have a total of only 11 actual picks, seven of them by two teams.

I updated the roster in OP and put a list of potential picks in the second post. Let me hear your thoughts.

Update: They blew through the end of round #9, #10, and #11, in under an hour. Now less than 10 picks to go, but the next three picks have not shown today.

Hampson just went in round 12. He will likely be a keeper in round 8 next year. The last place team is up. No telling when he shows.

J
                          Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-16-2019, 03:25 PM.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I like LeMahieu, Renfroe, and Grichuk in that group, assuming closers are very less valuable given the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              I like LeMahieu, Renfroe, and Grichuk in that group, assuming closers are very less valuable given the rules.
                              Grichuk is my easy pick of those 3.

LeMahieu away from Coors isn't good, and Renfroe might start in the minors. Grichuk look great in the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                With the holds, closers values are watered down, but this is a good place to take. I was thinking of Knebel at this point. Miller as well but I doubt he gets the IP to get the Ks up.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Grichuk is my easy pick of those 3. LeMahieu away from Coors isn't good, and Renfroe might start in the minors. Grichuk look great in the 2nd half.
                                Gru makes sense since I own Teo Hernandez. One of them will always play, health permitting.

That said, I have a lot of OF. What about Brendan McKay? Too soon?

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X