No announcement yet.

Is '19 the year Pujols gets pushed out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is '19 the year Pujols gets pushed out?

Decreased PT, increasing injuries (knee and elbow) and rounding the base heading towards 40, is 2019 the year Albert Pujols is finally given up on? He has 3 yrs left on his contract, which is good news for him, but bad news for the Angels. With Bour now at 1B and Ohtani at DH (although Ohtani is doubtful to start of the season with the club), is Pujols best use an occasional day off for Ohtani or Bour? If the Angels start to contend, will Pujols be their boat anchor? Once Ohtani returns, the Angels are going to want to put their best team on the field, period. The fans will want to see Trout AND Ohtani, not necessarily Albert. The reality is Ohtani simply will not be able to play everyday even if healthy. Round about May or July (again depending on Ohtani's recovery from TJ), he'll need to start rebuilding his pitching arm, which I've read is a day on the mound and then I day of rest, so that will then free up two days a week for Pujols. So the question becomes, is a 2 or 3 day Pujols really worth it to the club? I know games that include Ohtani I am watching, no matter what, and days he isn't, I'll find another game to watch (I love my mlb-tv). Pujols, I feel, is one serious injury away from a forced retirement, a sad end for a future HoFer. Is tis the year?

Dunno. Bour is probably a worse defender than Pujols at 1B, and when Ohtani isn't playing, other than Bour/Ohtani, the Halos really don't have anyone good to play at DH. I think Albert just sticks around this year and shares 1B pretty evenly, and then both Pujols/Bour play when Ohtani is off.

Comment

Yeah, with his $28/$29/$30 million salary over the next 3 years, the Angels will continue to push Pujols out there. I would expect plenty of DL trips during that time. Both phantom and real. Not the best way to cement his legacy.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
        Decreased PT, increasing injuries (knee and elbow) and rounding the base heading towards 40, is 2019 the year Albert Pujols is finally given up on? He has 3 yrs left on his contract, which is good news for him, but bad news for the Angels. With Bour now at 1B and Ohtani at DH (although Ohtani is doubtful to start of the season with the club), is Pujols best use an occasional day off for Ohtani or Bour? If the Angels start to contend, will Pujols be their boat anchor? Once Ohtani returns, the Angels are going to want to put their best team on the field, period. The fans will want to see Trout AND Ohtani, not necessarily Albert. The reality is Ohtani simply will not be able to play everyday even if healthy. Round about May or July (again depending on Ohtani's recovery from TJ), he'll need to start rebuilding his pitching arm, which I've read is a day on the mound and then I day of rest, so that will then free up two days a week for Pujols. So the question becomes, is a 2 or 3 day Pujols really worth it to the club? I know games that include Ohtani I am watching, no matter what, and days he isn't, I'll find another game to watch (I love my mlb-tv). Pujols, I feel, is one serious injury away from a forced retirement, a sad end for a future HoFer. Is tis the year?
        Where are you getting your info that says Ohtani doubtful to start the season with the club? Everything I have read has his rehab going well and his opening day status is not 100%, I would put his opening day status much higher than doubtful.

Comment

Rotowire, 12 Dec. 2018: Manager Brad Ausmus said Wednesday that he doesn't expect Ohtani (elbow) to be ready for the beginning of spring training, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic reports.

Comment

Working...
          X