James Paxton to the Yanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Paxton to the Yanks

according to Jeff Passan. Details to follow.

He would have been a hot property before this.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson + Dom Thompson-Williams

Swanson went from A to AAA ball, so I suppose he's ticketed for the majors, and Thompson-Williams went 20-20 at A ball.

Comment

Bold move by the Yankees. Paxton gave up 23 hr's in 160.1 ip last season. Haven't looked deeper into the numbers to see whether that was poor luck that's likely to correct itself, but considering he was pitching half of his games in Seattle (middle of the road in allowing HR's the last few years) and he's going to Yankee stadium (at or near the top), that's worth noting.

Comment

In 2018 he had a 19.3 LD% which was below his career average of 20.6%. However his FB% went up to 41%, a career high (32.7% for his career). The majority of that change came from his four seam fastball. Velocity stayed 95, but it started getting elevated more last year.

HRs were up both at home and on the road.

3.23 FIP suggests some room for improvement in the ERA.

Comment

Swing for the fences by the Yankees here...especially given Paxton's somewhat checkered health history. He's an ace when right, no doubt about it...but that 160 innings that he pitched last year were a career high.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

If you're the Yankees I think that's a deal you have to do when it's available. Can't fault them. Hope it works out.

Comment

Good trade for both teams.

Comment

Just have to hope they aren't swapping Gray for Paxton and ending up with the same HR issues.

Or as a Jay's fan, hope Paxton suffers just as much as Gray did from the move...

Sidenote: you gotta cheer for Paxton. Canadian kid from Langley, drafted 37th overall in 2009 by the Jay's. Represented by Scott Boras and didn't sign, despite offers close to $1M. Slipped to 132nd in 2010 and lost much of that million, but luckily he made it through prospect ranks and the Mil won't matter.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Yankees again had Rule V issues and needed to unload product ahead of the draft.

so Mariners get 3, and Yankees lose 1, basically.

that IS a good trade for both teams, at this point.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Swing for the fences by the Yankees here...especially given Paxton's somewhat checkered health history. He's an ace when right, no doubt about it...but that 160 innings that he pitched last year were a career high.
                      160 is the new 180 for IP
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                      X