• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    4300 mill
    I don't think he'll get that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I don't think he'll get that much.
      LOL, you never know. Philly seems pretty desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        LOL, you never know. Philly seems pretty desperate.
        It is the current offer, in Jamaican dollars. which comes out to about $330 million American.

Comment

4300 mill on Harpur

It is the current offer, in Jamaican dollars. which comes out to about $330 million American.
          Seems viable.

But they're really going to be upset when they realize his skills don't translate from the ice to the grass.... And that checking is heavily discouraged.

Checkout the latest stats of Ben Harpur. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, trade, draft, salary and more on Hockey-Reference.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Seems viable.

But they're really going to be upset when they realize his skills don't translate from the ice to the grass.... And that checking is heavily discouraged.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...harpube01.html
            It's all part of Boras' long con. Get the biggest contract and sports history for a marginal hockey player. He is hoping the phllies won't read the fine print, or look at the first and last name on the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Ownership did not want to leave Las Vegas without a deal. They know the deal needs to be greater than the Machado deal. Rumored to take 350-360m over 10 years to get it down. It would seem that Philly met those demands and yet no deal until Monday.

It does seem that he really does not want to play in Philly.

It also seems that Harper is not willing to give a discount to play somewhere he would prefer.
              hmm...

Jon Morosi of MLB Network hears that some Phillies officials have grown concerned that he will sign with the Dodgers if they make a comparable offer.
              Morosi notes that the ability to play close to home and train in Arizona are among the things that appeal to Harper about possibly playing for the Dodgers. There's also the obvious appeal of playing in Los Angeles. Until now, we haven't heard anything about the Dodgers willing to make a long-term offer, so the Phillies should have the edge in terms of total value. But perhaps the Dodgers could make it worth his while in terms of average annual value. That would obviously have some luxury tax implications if they go that route. Still, that the Dodgers (including manager Dave Roberts) recently had a sit-down with Harper indicates that they are seriously thinking about making a major last-minute splash.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                Arenado is more consistent offensively and far more valuable defensively than Harper. Harper is probably more valuable from a marketing perspective, though.
                Bryce in Coors would be fun to watch. Given that Harper is younger, they are probably comparable.

Comment

Giants and Dodgers are now the front-runners, and Steve Phillips of MLB Radio said the Phillies believe their chances are now "remote."

Comment

Wow. Riots forthcoming in Philly.

Boras circumvented the GM and went right to Giants ownership, and I'm guessing it's working.

The latest: https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/02/27...year-contract/

The Giants and Harper’s team have discussed a 10-year contract, NBC Sports Bay Area has learned. That would match the deal the Padres gave Manny Machado earlier this month and likely give Harper a chance at the record dollar figure he has been looking for.

Comment

So interesting. The Bay Area is an amazing place to live and it's an opportunity for him to be the face of a storied franchise, so I get it from that perspective, but it's an odd move if Harper wants to win any time soon.

Comment

why are the Phillies seemingly acting so desperate?

they have a pretty good team, and they aggressively worked a big offer including lengthy personal discussions.

they should tell Harper to pound sand, and use the savings on Kuechel and Kimbrel. that staff would be amazing, and they still will hit.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

So, you think the Phillies have shut the door now?
                          I'm surprised Kuechel and Kimbrel are still available.

Comment

The sports talk shows here are whipping up on the Phils for not sealing the deal, crying about how the off season is a failure if we don't sign Harper or Machado, yada, yada. That's almost universal, but I wonder if a lot more of us see through all these shenanigans as Boras being Boras, using the Phils to leverage Harper into a city he really wants to play in. I will say the man does his job getting max $$$.
                            I, too, believe the Phils have done an excellent job this off season and can now spend on pitching and save some money in the piggy bank for down the road.
                            Bearin' up!

Comment

As a Nats fan, I want Harper to sign with the Phils so we can see him play here in DC nine times a season for the next ten years. We wouldn't boo him like the Phillies' fans did to Werth, either. It seems clear he does not want to play in Philly, however. I have been saying Dodgers all off-season and sticking with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone View Post
                                As a Nats fan, I want Harper to sign with the Phils so we can see him play here in DC nine times a season for the next ten years. We wouldn't boo him like the Phillies' fans did to Werth, either. It seems clear he does not want to play in Philly, however. I have been saying Dodgers all off-season and sticking with that.
                                It also appears that he does not want to play for the Nats.

I wonder what he does if no one gives him a better offer than Machado?

Comment

Working...
                                X