Trade Tatis in a keep forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Tatis in a keep forever?

14 team H2H 5x5. Top 6 make the playoffs.

A dumper is pushing to get Tatis. I'm currently 3 points out of 6th. I have a favourable schedule going forward as I won the first season matchup against the 5 teams I play after this week (the last team has loaded up and is in 4th.

Here is my current team:

Hedges Encarnacion Baez JRamirez Andrus Yelich Desmond MTaylor Mancini
    BN Belt, Tatis
    DL WRamos

Kluber Bundy Taillon Barria WPeralta Givens Giles Brach Alvarado
    BN Strasburg Stripling
    DL Doolittle

I will drop Hedges when Ramos comes off the DL.

ETA:
    We must keep 4 in the first 4 rounds (Kluber, Ramirez, Baez, EE/Yelich).
    We can keep up to 4 backfilled from the last 4 rounds. So, Strasburg and Tatis are keepers in rounds 21/22 forever because they were drafted in round 19 or later.

Here are the players he has:

H: Carpenter/Merrifield/Schoop/Cain/KDavis
    SP: Rodon/McCullers
    RP: Greene/Barraclough/Norris

Would 2 of those hitters, a SP and a RP upgrade my team enough to lose Tatis? I'd also send Mancini, MTaylor, Brach.
    Last edited by virgonomic; 08-01-2018, 12:08 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

I don't know that I'd do a deal where I lose Tatis, he's going to be up next year and he'll be an absolute stud. None of his players are really game changers, IMO. All very good, none great. Belt and Ramos come back from the DL and you've got your guys right there, same with Stras if the injection works. And sending Brach, you may be sending a closer back to him...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I don't know that I'd do a deal where I lose Tatis, he's going to be up next year and he'll be an absolute stud. None of his players are really game changers, IMO. All very good, none great. Belt and Ramos come back from the DL and you've got your guys right there, same with Stras if the injection works. And sending Brach, you may be sending a closer back to him...
      Thanks for chiming in. I agree, his players are upgrades, but they are not studs.

Brach was used in the 8th last night but he may still get opportunities to close.

Last year I traded Bellinger's rights for Paxton/Andrus/JRamirez in June. They are studs and I made it to the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I couldn't give up Tatis for a couple of months of these guys. He is the kind of player that is built around for teams that are in 6th place in dynasty leagues.

Comment

Another team has entered the discussions:

Give: MTaylor Mancini Alvarado 6th
          Get: Smoak/Tanaka/Bumgarner 9th

I asked for Carrasco, he countered with Bum. I don't love it, but does it improve my pitching (especially in the short term with Stras and Strip hurt)?

Comment

Hmmm...in a roto-keeper/dyansty league, I'd agree with Hornsby in a second. In a H2H league, though, I'd have to think about it.

I mean, if I could get Merrifield, Cain, and Rodon, that's a huge boost in SBs, BA, and runs in a H2H league. Rodon is pitching very well, and it's not like he's ancient or anything. You get in the playoffs with those upgrades, and your team could really be a force.

OTOH, I do see a significant concern that might stop me from pulling the trigger. You have three key Cleveland players - Encarnacion, JRamirez, and Kluber - and it's likely Cleveland will clinch very early. If your playoffs are late, I'd hold Tatis and hope for the best since I think Cleveland will give a lot of rest to Encarnacion, a fair amount to Ramirez, and skip a start or two for the Klubot.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post

I asked for Carrasco, he countered with Bum. I don't love it, but does it improve my pitching (especially in the short term with Stras and Strip hurt)?
              I do that deal in a second and STILL consider trading Tatis.

Comment

I like this one much better.

I would pull the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I do that deal in a second and STILL consider trading Tatis.
                  I do not like to disagree with chancellor as over the years it has not turned out well for me. With that I will agree that you should STILL consider trading Tatis. Then come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I do not like to disagree with chancellor as over the years it has not turned out well for me. With that I will agree that you should STILL consider trading Tatis. Then come to the conclusion that it is a bad idea.
                    You could well be correct here. Clearly, the Smoak/Tanaka/Bum deal gives him a major pitching upgrade and good 1B insurance in case Encarnacion sits a lot the last 2-3 weeks of the season, and could put him in a good position for the playoffs.

However, in defense of my point, that deal will leave him thin - if not downright short - in his OF. I think I can see a roster twist to fit one OF (but I might be wrong), but he's going waiver shopping for the other OF. Tatis for two big OF upgrades in Merrifield and Cain, and another pitching upgrade in Rodon could just put him over the top. But he needs to look at the top few teams and determine with both those upgrades what his roster looks like in a H2H playoff. So, if I'm reading right, his roster after a Tatis deal would be:

C: WRamos
                    1B: Encarnacion, Smoak, Belt
                    2B: Baez
                    SS: Andrus
                    3B: JRamirez
                    OF: Yelich, Desmond, Cain, Merrifield

SP: Bumgarner, Rodon, Tanaka, Kluber, Bundy, Taillon, Barria
                    RP: WPeralta Givens Giles Brach

And I think he'll need to cut a guy or two, but I see Barria and Brach as pretty painless cut options. But that's a pretty frightening 14-team H2H team.

Comment

You could well be correct here. Clearly, the Smoak/Tanaka/Bum deal gives him a major pitching upgrade and good 1B insurance in case Encarnacion sits a lot the last 2-3 weeks of the season, and could put him in a good position for the playoffs.

However, in defense of my point, that deal will leave him thin - if not downright short - in his OF. I think I can see a roster twist to fit one OF (but I might be wrong), but he's going waiver shopping for the other OF. Tatis for two big OF upgrades in Merrifield and Cain, and another pitching upgrade in Rodon could just put him over the top. But he needs to look at the top few teams and determine with both those upgrades what his roster looks like in a H2H playoff. So, if I'm reading right, his roster after a Tatis deal would be:

C: WRamos
                      1B: Encarnacion, Smoak, Belt
                      OF: Yelich, Desmond, Cain, Merrifield

SP: Bumgarner, Rodon, Tanaka, Kluber, Bundy, Taillon, Barria
                      RP: WPeralta Givens Giles Brach

And I think he'll need to cut a guy or two, but I see Barria and Brach as pretty painless cut options. But that's a pretty frightening 14-team H2H team.
                      I agree on the cuts.

I think you have convinced me that with both trades he could make run for the Championship.

Comment

I should add an important detail on the forever keepers which I included on other threads pertaining to this league.

We must keep 4 in the first 4 rounds (Kluber, Ramirez, Baez, EE/Yelich).
                        We can keep up to 4 backfilled from the last 4 rounds. So, Strasburg and Tatis are keepers in rounds 21/22 forever because they were drafted in round 19 or later.

Comment

But he needs to look at the top few teams and determine with both those upgrades what his roster looks like in a H2H playoff.
                          Here is fuhrdog's first place team. He destroyed me in both matchups so he holds the tiebreaker.

Gattis Hoskins Moncada Suarez Bregman Kemp Bellinger Polanco Dozier
                          B JDMartinez
                          DL Judge

SP deGrom Heaney Folty Bauer Duffy Price Eflin
                          RP Treinen WDavis Vazquez Yates
                          DL Darvish

Comment

Done deal. We have 25 adds per year. I have used 20/25 but added 3 in the trade. I also added KCalhoun as the trade left a hole until Belt/Ramos return. My current team:

C: Hedges/WRamos
                            1B: Encarnacion Smoak
                            OF: Yelich Desmond KCalhoun
                            B: Belt Tatis

SP: Kluber Bumgarner Tanaka Bundy Taillon
                            RP: WPeralta Givens Giles Brach Doolittle
                            DL: Strasburg Stripling
                            Last edited by virgonomic; 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I just traded Belt + picks for Merrifield/Rodon/BNorris + 5 adds and dropped Brach/Givens

Team is now:

C: Hedges/WRamos
                              1B: Encarnacion Smoak
                              OF: Yelich Desmond Merrifield
                              B: KCalhoun Tatis

SP: Kluber Bumgarner Tanaka Bundy Taillon Rodon
                              RP: Doolittle Giles WPeralta BNorris
                              DL: Strasburg Stripling

Comment

Working...
                              X