2k11 Charlie Morton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11 Charlie Morton

Dealing again tonight. What a turnaround from last year.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I sense a correction coming soon. Walks too many...doesn't strike out enough guys and eventually some of those balls are going to leave the yard.

Comment

Pitchers I have picked up this year in Charlie Morton's place:

Dillon Gee
      Tom Gorzellany
      Dustin Moseley

Comment

i'm not exactly sure what Morton's GB rate is but it's gotta be up there among the best. Just from watching all his starts, its been GB after GB after GB with a K and BB mixed in. His ball is moving like crazy and no one's squaring up on it, sinker is badass. Take that for what its worth but if hitters keep on hammering his balls into the ground I see no reason why this can't continue. Different arm slot, more relying on the sinker, ball moving more. He's a different pitcher than the disaster that somehow overcame the best-stuff on the PGH staff last year.

Charlie was quoted earlier in the year as saying he was surprised/disappointed whenever someone flew out against him. I think he's figuring it out (this is coming from someone who was never sold on Correia from looking inside the stats, despite being an obvious homer).

Comment

He copied Roy Halladay's delivery and apparently it's working for him. Early in the year he was posting games like 1 K, 5 walks and 17 groundball outs. But he's finally started coming around and started striking some people out. (Last 5 games: 6, 6, 1, 5, 5)

He's really got the crazy sinker working for him but he still doesn't have much else. And the Pirates' infield defense isn't exactly elite. But I am starting to trust him a bit more.

Comment

After Charlie Morton’s first three starts of the season, his ERA stood at 1.64, and I noted that his revamped style of pitching simply wouldn’t let him keep this up for much longer. Since I wrote that…

Comment

Another very good outing tonight for Chucky.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I picked him up 2 or 3 weeks ago and, with the exception of his last outing (and even that was not so bad) he's done surprisingly well for me. Tonight was another good example. Hopefully the Pirates pen can hold that lead for him and I can pick up a win here. I'm currently tied for first in wins and I'd be happy to take the least all by myself, even if it's just for a day or two.

Btw, another risky guy I picked up when some of my other pitchers went down was Kyle Lohse. He's also done very well for me, although today he had a 4 ER inning, but it happens.

It's tough to believe either of those guys won't come down to Earth at some point but I'm going to ride that train for as long as it will carry me.

Comment

Working...
                X