RP Sean Doolittle, Nationals
    RP Josh Hader, Brewers
    RP Brad Hand, Padres
    RP Kenley Jansen, Dodgers
    RP Felipe Vazquez, Pirates.

NL Final Vote winner
    1B Jesus Aguilar, Brewers
    Last edited by madducks; 07-11-2018, 09:38 PM. Reason: Final Vote winners
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Nick Markakis has been elected for the first time after playing in 1,928 MLB games. No other player in MLB history had played more than 1,866 games (Ron Fairley in 1973) before gaining a first All-Star selection.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Blake Snell snub is pretty rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        The Blake Snell snub is pretty rough.
        Yep, it looks like he got squeezed out by the fact that Happ and Berrios were each chosen to be the sole representative of their team.

Comment

Last 9 starts for Blake Snell: 7-1, 1.10 ERA, 32% K rate, .166 opp BA. That's vs:BOS, OAK, SEA 2x, NYY, HOU 2x, WAS, NYM

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Yep, it looks like he got squeezed out by the fact that Happ and Berrios were each chosen to be the sole representative of their team.
            And Joe Jimenez.

Also, Charlie Morton.

On the NL side, I'm surprised Jesus Aguilar & Max Muncy both didn't make it.

Comment

There's some pretty cool stories in this year's picks - Markakis, for sure, Mikolas, Moreland, Brantley, and Kemp. A couple guys considered too old and washed up, one who was essentially exiled to Japan, a guy with tons of talent, but always previously hurt, and a guy who was "only a platoon player".

OTOH, AL 1B has sure turned into a wasteland.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Nick Markakis has been elected for the first time after playing in 1,928 MLB games. No other player in MLB history had played more than 1,866 games (Ron Fairley in 1973) before gaining a first All-Star selection.
                Here's another good Markakis-related all star trivia question:
                Markakis was one of only 2 players in the 2,000-hit club who had not made an AS team. Do you know who the only remaining player is?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Here's another good Markakis-related all star trivia question:
                  Markakis was one of only 2 players in the 2,000-hit club who had not made an AS team. Do you know who the only remaining player is?
                  for what it's worth, skimming the list of those players and guessing who probably didn't make an AS team, I've found three so far.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    for what it's worth, skimming the list of those players and guessing who probably didn't make an AS team, I've found three so far.
                    Hint is it that he is not an old-timer.
                    Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...r_hits_leaders

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      Not including Markakis there are 5. Two played in the last 20 years. The rest ended in 1930 and prior.

So if we consider only modern players there are two outside of Markakis. One had 2004 hits, the other had 2023. They both played on at least 7 teams, so there's probably a journeyman label that factored in to why they were never all stars. They also had long careers and were more accumulators rather than high peak value players, hitting the 2000 hit mark at age 38 or later.

Comment

Not including Markakis there are 5. Two played in the last 20 years. The rest ended in 1930 and prior.

So if we consider only modern players there are two outside of Markakis. One had 2004 hits, the other had 2023. They both played on at least 7 teams, so there's probably a journeyman label that factored in to why they were never all stars. They also had long careers and were more accumulators rather than high peak value players, hitting the 2000 hit mark at age 38 or later.
                        You missed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          You missed him.
                          Not sure what you mean, I found 5, how could I have missed "him"?

Also, please note that I'm not the "you" here, I'm using baseball-reference. So I guess baseball-reference can be broken but I doubt it.

Comment

Not sure what you mean, I found 5, how could I have missed "him"?

Also, please note that I'm not the "you" here, I'm using baseball-reference. So I guess baseball-reference can be broken but I doubt it.
                            This is what I get for listening to a friend who has a little known all-star trivia fact. You are correct Ken.

Anyway, in addition to Zeile and Phillips, Juan Pierre (2,217 hits) never appeared in an All-Star Game.

Comment

interesting. I think we all have disjoint lists. The three I found all played post 2000.

Spoiler!
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X