NL-Only Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-Only Trade

12 team NL-Only, 5x5 (OBP instead of average), cap is $280 for 25 starters instead of the $260 for 23.

I was just offered an expiring Jose Peraza and a $17 Gio Gonzalez (would be due an extension at the end of this year) for a $21 (Year 1) Jon Lester. I've been burned by Gio in the past before so I'm not completely rational in evaluating the deal as I really dislike him. Wanted to throw it out there to see what the Pen thought and if I should put my dislike aside.

Information that could be relevant:

1) Currently in 4th place, 11 points out of third and 14.5 out of second. First is pretty much hopeless and that guy is almost definitely going to win the league (23 points ahead of me and has a sick roster). We have a rolling dynasty prize for best 4-year finish and the team that is currently in 2nd place is my primary competition for that, so he's my true target more than winning the league outright.

2) I am 7 steals away from nabbing three points, hence the attraction to Peraza. I also did just get AJ Pollock back from the DL.

3) I am also 22 runs away from 3 points, so another full time batter would be helpful, especially with Pollock coming off the DL and DeJong soon to be off the DL. I have 11 pitchers right now, so I could put Peraza in at our second utility without benching any hitters.

4) My SP is pretty awful, but I've been loading up on starters to try and grab some wins and K's, even if my WHIP and ERA suffer a bit (currently 10th in WHIP and ERA, so can't get too hurt there, although I could be sinking my chances at moving up in WHIP).

Thanks in advance.

Given the parameters of your situation, I think that I'd do the deal. Neither guy that your getting is great, but then again is Lester a top 10 guy?

ETA: Just looked at Lester's stats, and yeah, he's a top 10 guy. I just don't own him anywhere, so I didn't keep close track.
    Last edited by Hornsby; 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Seeing as how you got AJ back i think i would pass as Gio looks to be fading fast. Any other SP you can get to go with Peraza ?
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        Seeing as how you got AJ back i think i would pass as Gio looks to be fading fast. Any other SP you can get to go with Peraza ?
        His other SP are Kershaw, Scherzer, Syndergaard, Darvish, Hendricks and Luke Weaver (I told you the guy in first has a sick roster).

Comment

I pretty much agree with Hammer - Gio's pulling a 1.4+ WHIP, and he has a storied history as a WHIP destroyer. I guess if you have a sizable cushion in ERA and especially WHIP where you'll lose few points, then it might be a go if you have no better options. Otherwise, I'd pass.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't like the deal either.

As a Cubs homer I hope Lester has as good of a second half as he did the first. As a fantasy owner I do not expect it. He was bit lucky. He is also 34 years old. If i was an owner I would be trying to trade him. But certainly not for Gio.

Comment

half-season of stats
              HQ has it as:

Gio worth $3 so far, $11 projected 2nd half. 3.77 ERA, 4.26 xERA (which is a better indicator of the future)
              Lester worth $24 so far, $18 projected 2nd half. 2.25 ERA, 4.42 xERA

holy smokes. that Lester spread is insane. I'd SELL in all formats. lol 87 pct strand pct and 25 pct H pct.
              not only is that not maintainable, but guys with 2.25 ERAs - even veterans - never make adjustments to make up for their dumb luck. would you?

I see two ticking bombs, and you get Peraza. if he can help you... fyi, his real numbers match the peripherals. with Senzel out for season (I think), Peraza might keep his ABs.
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 07-04-2018, 11:05 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Peraza will definitely keep his at bats this year.

Gotta get someone other than Gio if it was me.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  half-season of stats
                  HQ has it as:

Gio worth $3 so far, $11 projected 2nd half. 3.77 ERA, 4.26 xERA (which is a better indicator of the future)
                  Lester worth $24 so far, $18 projected 2nd half. 2.25 ERA, 4.42 xERA

holy smokes. that Lester spread is insane. I'd SELL in all formats. lol 87 pct strand pct and 25 pct H pct.
                  not only is that not maintainable, but guys with 2.25 ERAs - even veterans - never make adjustments to make up for their dumb luck. would you?

I see two ticking bombs, and you get Peraza. if he can help you... fyi, his real numbers match the peripherals. with Senzel out for season (I think), Peraza might keep his ABs.
                  Jesse Rogers, ESPN Staff Writer

A stunned sold out Wrigley Field watched Jon Lester walk off the field after pitching just 3.2 innings while giving up eight earned runs against the Nationals. The outing raised his 2nd half ERA to 10.33 after compiling a 2.58 first half mark.

(me, I'm not so stunned)
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Jesse Rogers, ESPN Staff Writer

A stunned sold out Wrigley Field watched Jon Lester walk off the field after pitching just 3.2 innings while giving up eight earned runs against the Nationals. The outing raised his 2nd half ERA to 10.33 after compiling a 2.58 first half mark.

(me, I'm not so stunned)
                    Me either (see post #6).

Comment

Working...
                    X