"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Peralta
      Nova
      Fried
      Harvey

Comment

For this year only, I'd go Nova/Peralta/Harvey/Fried, just like Hornsby. For more than this year, I'd go with Peralta/Fried/Harvey/Nova.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          For this year only, I'd go Nova/Peralta/Harvey/Fried, just like Hornsby. For more than this year, I'd go with Peralta/Fried/Harvey/Nova.
          I've got to ask, why does Nova fall from first to last in your long term view?
          More specifically why would he fall behind Harvey?

Comment

Fair questions...I see Harvey still having some upside potential, especially out of NYC. Nova simply isn't going to get better, so the best case for him medium to long term is a low 4s ERA and mid to upper 1.2s WHIP, and that assumes he still holds his believable, yet still favorable BABIP and strand rates. Furthermore, I think the Pirates are a candidate to tank sometime in the next couple of years.

So, for this year, I'd rather have the certainty of what Nova delivers, but medium to long term, I'd rather buy upside and accept higher risk.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              So, for this year, I'd rather have the certainty of what Nova delivers, but medium to long term, I'd rather buy upside and accept higher risk.
              I can dig it. Personally there's value in that consistency even long term and for him to be top on this list for the short term means he'd still be ahead of Harvey slightly. Long term involves some risk plays but there's still some value in the consistent approach.

I still like Peralta even short term though. 5 games in his numbers are almost identical to his AAA numbers where he dominated. 1.99 FIP, 13 K/9. Salivating. I'm all in.

Comment

I get the points about Peralta and Nova. However, Fried could surprise. I watched him vs STL. He was dominant and in control. Remember- this was a #7 draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  I can dig it. Personally there's value in that consistency even long term and for him to be top on this list for the short term means he'd still be ahead of Harvey slightly. Long term involves some risk plays but there's still some value in the consistent approach.

I still like Peralta even short term though. 5 games in his numbers are almost identical to his AAA numbers where he dominated. 1.99 FIP, 13 K/9. Salivating. I'm all in.
                  I understand on Peralta, and if I were in a position where I'd need really, really good numbers to make progress, he'd be who I'd roll the dice on. If his curve continues to improve, you'll almost certainly be rewarded.

Comment

I went with Peralta for the short and long term star potential.

Interesting bit in Rotoworld today about the Nats having possible interest in Harvey. That would indicate they have some confidence in his health and a move like that would definitely increase his value.

Comment

Working...
                    X