Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 1B in the NL is?

At this point Jesus Aguilar.

You could certainly make a case for this player. He probably went undrafted in most leagues and likely the best FAAB or waiver wire pick-up.

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
    At this point Jesus Aguilar.

You could certainly make a case for this player. He probably went undrafted in most leagues and likely the best FAAB or waiver wire pick-up.
    And yet as a re-builder I hesitated to give much for his $10 contract in my NL only 5x5 OBP instead of Ave. 12 teams.

I also wonder if I owned him what would I want for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      And yet as a re-builder I hesitated to give much for his $10 contract in my NL only 5x5 OBP instead of Ave. 12 teams.

I also wonder if I owned him what would I want for him.
      Getting him in a rebuild you would have to think the process over if you were trading for him. If you were trading him then his value will likely never be higher than it is right now. But for the moment he is having a great season. When hitters bloom this late you wonder was it because of not having opportunity earlier or did the light come on and now the player is putting it all together. Then there is the doubt can he continue this and will he be able to do this next season. The power has always been there so he does own that skill. The BA I have doubts that he will maintain being a .300 hitter. This season he is crushing against both lefties and righties, home and away. The Brewers thinking should be he starts every game until he show he can't. That will push Thames and Braun into sharing the one OF spot when Cain comes back. Even though I don't own him it has been fun watching him this season. As a fan I hope he can do this all season.

Comment

.315 BA and .296 xBA this year
        .325 and .327 the last month
        I don't see anything fluky there, which is amazing

BBHQ sees a .270 or so AVG for 2nd half, which is fine. they like him

Aguilar at 165
        Freeman leads NL in OPS+ at 159 among qualifiers
        Belt 146, Votto 140

Aguilar went for a buck in my 12-team NL-only
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          Getting him in a rebuild you would have to think the process over if you were trading for him. If you were trading him then his value will likely never be higher than it is right now. But for the moment he is having a great season. When hitters bloom this late you wonder was it because of not having opportunity earlier or did the light come on and now the player is putting it all together. Then there is the doubt can he continue this and will he be able to do this next season. The power has always been there so he does own that skill. The BA I have doubts that he will maintain being a .300 hitter. This season he is crushing against both lefties and righties, home and away. The Brewers thinking should be he starts every game until he show he can't. That will push Thames and Braun into sharing the one OF spot when Cain comes back. Even though I don't own him it has been fun watching him this season. As a fan I hope he can do this all season.
          Same here...though from watching him nearly daily, his baseball IQ seems really high. That's no guarantee he can keep the BA up that high, but I like that he's willing to shorten up and make contact when the situation calls for it. He's improved his two-strike batting approach.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Same here...though from watching him nearly daily, his baseball IQ seems really high. That's no guarantee he can keep the BA up that high, but I like that he's willing to shorten up and make contact when the situation calls for it. He's improved his two-strike batting approach.
            You're not kidding. Aguilar has hit 10 of his 19 HR and driven in 32 of his 54 RBI in two-strike counts!
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              You're not kidding. Aguilar has hit 10 of his 19 HR and driven in 32 of his 54 RBI in two-strike counts!
              That is the definition of being locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                ... that suggests he's not actually shortening up to make contact though right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  ... that suggests he's not actually shortening up to make contact though right?
                  I was referring to the improvement with two strikes. I guess Aguilar has been in a lot of situations that called for home runs.
                  Last edited by madducks; 07-02-2018, 09:54 PM.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X