No announcement yet.

Let’s Remember a Guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonard was the reason I became a Giants fan...

Moving out here was the reason I stopped.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Since I'll be busy tomorrow, here's Tomorrow's Guy

Dan Ford
      "Disco" Dan Ford had a solid 10-year career from 1975 until 1985, playing for the Twins, Angels & Orioles. "Solid" seems an apt adjective, as he was never really great, never really bad, he just kind of went out and did his thing, hitting a handful of HRs, driving in a solid amount of runs, stealing a handful of bases, and remarkably enough, having an OBP between .327 and .338 in eight out of his full nine seasons.

His best year was 1979, when he hit .290/.333/.464 with 21 HRs, 100 Runs, 101 RBIs and 8 SBs.

He was traded three times in his career, but the deal sending him from the Angels to the Orioles in 1982 ended up being a landslide for the Angels, who received 3B Doug DeCinces just as he hit a career renaissance and dished off Ford just as he hit the wall. Ford did have a solid season for the O's in 1983, and also hit a key HR in the World Series, but he sputtered in the next two seasons before ending his career in 1985.

That's tomorrow's guy, Disco Dan Ford!

Disco Dan celebrating with his teammates at the conclusion of the 1983 World Series:

Comment

Thanks Revo for this thread. I really do enjoy the daily updates.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Since I'll be busy tomorrow, here's Tomorrow's Guy

Dan Ford
          "Disco" Dan Ford had a solid 10-year career from 1975 until 1985, playing for the Twins, Angels & Orioles. "Solid" seems an apt adjective, as he was never really great, never really bad, he just kind of went out and hit a handful of HRs, drove in a solid amount of runs, stole a handful of bases, and remarkably enough, had an OBP between .327 and .338 in eight out of his full nine seasons.

His best year was 1979, when he hit .290/.333/.464 with 21 HRs, 100 Runs, 101 RBIs and 8 SBs.

He was traded three times in his career, but the deal sending him from the Angels to the Orioles in 1982 ended up being a landslide for the Angels, who received 3B Doug DeCinces just as he hit a career renaissance and dished off Ford just as he hit the wall. Ford did have a solid season for the O's in 1983, and also hit a key HR in the World Series, but he sputtered in the next two seasons before ending his career in 1985.

That's tomorrow's guy, Disco Dan Ford!

Ford resembles Eddie Murray so much on this card that when I saw it I thought "Wait a minute, Murray never played for the Twins, did he?".

Yeah, DeCinces kinda broke out after going to the Angels. IIRC, not too many people in Baltimore were sorry to see him go, as he was always blamed for not being Brooks Robinson, the guy he replaced.

Comment

Going back a few, I'm pretty sure that I was at that Tippy Martinez game in Toronto. Mind you there were lots of disappointments for Jays fans in the early 80's so I could be confusing it for a thousand other sad memories.

Originally posted by cleo View Post
            Thanks Revo for this thread. I really do enjoy the daily updates.
            What cleo said!
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

No one had anything for Freddy V. Sad.

Is it because Valenzuela was Ritchie Valenz real name?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                No one had anything for Freddy V. Sad.

Is it because Valenzuela was Ritchie Valenz real name?

J
                This thread seems to be more of a remembrance of random players past - Fernando's way too famous.

Comment

Not sure why J doesn't seem to get that. Oh wait, yes I do. Just kidding.

Today's Guy

Warren Cromartie

Warren Cromartie, son of a Negro Leaguer, came up with the Expos in 1974, but it wasn't until 1977 when he solidified himself as a starter. That year, the Expos took the baseball world by storm, with Cromartie joining fellow rookie Andre Dawson and 2nd year player Ellis Valentine to form the league's brightest young OF. All three of the 23 and younger crew hit at least .282 and became the full-time starter. Dawson would also win the NL Rookie of the Year award.

Cromartie was solid, if never spectacular, for Les Expos, proving himself to be a .280ish hitter with 5-10 HR power and 5-10 SB speed. But then, at the conclusion of the 1983 season, Cromartie became a revolutionary, signing in Japan during the prime of his career. Historically to that point, players usually went to Japan when they were washed up, trying to eke out a couple of more paydays, but Cromartie was just 30.

Cromartie became a superstar in Japan, averaging a .321/.372/.558 line and having hit more than 30 HRs three times, and won their league MVP award in 1989.

In 1991, he came back to MLB after an 8-year absence, and hit .313 in a bench role with the Royals before hanging them up.

And for Mith, he became good friends with Rush's Geddy Lee, who actually sang on a song for Cromartie's band (he was the drummer), Climb.

That's today's guy, Warren Cromartie!

Climb, featuring Geddy Lee

Comment

Not sure why J doesn't seem to get that. Oh wait, yes I do. Just kidding.

Today's Guy

Warren Cromartie

Warren Cromartie, son of a Negro Leaguer, came up with the Expos in 1974, but it wasn't until 1977 when he solidified himself as a starter. That year, the Expos took the baseball world by storm, with Cromartie joining fellow rookie Andre Dawson and 2nd year player Ellis Valentine to form the league's brightest young OF. All three of the 23 and younger crew hit at least .282 and became the full-time starter. Dawson would also win the NL Rookie of the Year award.

Cromartie was solid, if never spectacular, for Les Expos, proving himself to be a .280ish hitter with 5-10 HR power and 5-10 SB speed. But then, at the conclusion of the 1983 season, Cromartie became a revolutionary, signing in Japan during the prime of his career. Historically to that point, players usually went to Japan when they were washed up, trying to eke out a couple of more paydays, but Cromartie was just 30.

Cromartie became a superstar in Japan, averaging a .321/.372/.558 line and having hit more than 30 HRs three times, and won their league MVP award in 1989.

In 1991, he came back to MLB after an 8-year absence, and hit .313 in a bench role with the Royals before hanging them up.

And for Mith, he became good friends with Rush's Geddy Lee, who actually sang on a song for Cromartie's band (he was the drummer), Climb.

That's today's guy, Warren Cromartie!

Climb, featuring Geddy Lee
                    I don't get that Fernando is more famous than several of these guys. For example, I remember Cromartie nearly as well. What a set of OF arms--Dawson, Cromartie and Valentine.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

He was so popular they actually named an anime after him. Now, who else can you say that about?

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        I don't get that Fernando is more famous than several of these guys. For example, I remember Cromartie nearly as well. What a set of OF arms--Dawson, Cromartie and Valentine.

J
                        You are right, i remember the Cromartiemania times when he was on the cover of sports illustrated and cereal boxes. Warren was just on fire.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Cromartie was drafted by 5 different teams between 1971-1973. 2 or 3 times in the 1st round before finally signing with the Expos. That is all I remember and I don't know if that is a record or something or why I remember it.

Comment

"I don't get that Fernando is more famous than several of these guys."

I was sure you were over 45 - but you can't be, if this is your take.

since you are too young to remember, Fernando debuted in Sept. 1980 with 17.6 IP of scoreless relief and 2 W and a SV in a pennant race. he was 20 years old.

in 1981, he started the season 8-0 with FIVE shutouts. He became the first player to win the Rookie of the Year Award and the Cy Young Award in the same season. he nearly won the Cy Young again in 1986.

ultimately he became a journeyman, but he was most definitely not just "a guy."
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

He even showed up in a cameo of an ad in 2015!

(also this is a great ad)

In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                He even showed up in a cameo of an ad in 2015!

(also this is a great ad)

I like it! I guess Toyota G's is a model sold only outside the US. How did this commercial come to your attention?

Comment

Working...
                                X