Peter Alonso 1B NYM: Tearing up AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Alonso 1B NYM: Tearing up AA

Is this guy a good preemptive pickup? Looks like the Mets see Dominic Smith as a bench player and the aging Adrian Gonzalez hasn't exactly been setting the woods on fire.

Stat to know: 1.096 OPS

I know, OPS is so basic, but … how could I not write about this guy? He's been one of the best hitters in baseball at any level, sporting a .333/.459/.637 line, with no apparent flaws in his game right now. He's on a 40-homer pace, while walking 16.3 percent of the time and striking out 19.1 percent of the time. He was solid in 2017, but the plate discipline is really where he looks like he has taken a big step forward in 2018, and we're at the point where it might not take much to get him called up. He is a better Fantasy prospect than a real-life one, though the way he's played this season, he might be underrated in both facets. The profile looks Rhys Hoskins-esque, and that's a big compliment, despite his recent struggles. With Adrian Gonzalez no longer an impact bat and Dominic Smith failing to impress even in the thin air of Triple-A Las Vegas, it wouldn't be a shock to see Alonso get a shot this season.

Nobody drafted him during our farm draft but we can only have 4 players on the farm roster. I have no doubt he will be sought after for FAAB if he gets called up. He hasn't made it yet to AAA so it is possible he might not be called up until Sept. If you can get him now I would go after him.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      Nobody drafted him during our farm draft but we can only have 4 players on the farm roster. I have no doubt he will be sought after for FAAB if he gets called up. He hasn't made it yet to AAA so it is possible he might not be called up until Sept. If you can get him now I would go after him.
      Had a hard decision, but I dropped Paddack for him. Our prospects are mixed with our vets, so it appeared to me that I had no choice but to drop Paddack if I wanted Alonso. I decided to keep Duplantier.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
        Had a hard decision, but I dropped Paddack for him. Our prospects are mixed with our vets, so it appeared to me that I had no choice but to drop Paddack if I wanted Alonso. I decided to keep Duplantier.
        Tough call. For what it's worth, I'd rate them:

Alonso
        Paddack
        ~
        Duplantier

Comment

Mets are not inclined to bring him up before Sept, so if this year is the issue....

AdGonz has hit .283 the last 3 weeks and .261 overall. they have so many other issues that I don't think it's a focus right now. Alonso will have the job next year, though.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            Tough call. For what it's worth, I'd rate them:

Alonso
            Paddack
            ~
            Duplantier
            I think Duplantier has a better pedigree and he's also doing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
              I think Duplantier has a better pedigree and he's also doing very well.
              That may be, but fantasy-wise, Paddack has two important things in his favor:

1) When he makes it to the majors, he'll be playing 1/2 his games in SD, as opposed to ARI. Park effects favor SD, more than a little.

2) SD is a team with tons of turnover and nearing openings on the MLB roster. ARI isn't.

So, since they're close in value given what's happening in the minors, I gotta look at who will be in the better situation when he comes up and how soon may that call come. Paddack comes out ahead.

That said, I like them both and would be pleased to have either on my farm team.
              Last edited by The Dane; 06-01-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X