Wily Mo Pena coming back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wily Mo Pena coming back?

Arizona has a logjam of bats - they need to do something. Too many bats to share and the ones they're using aren't doing much

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=13957 is my new non-fantasy (ignore the title) Wednesday column at BP and they're all free today

Comment

I just started a new "Road To The Show" game on MLB 2009 for Playstation. You know how they create names for minor league players by mashing together first and last names of real existing players? One of my AA teammates is named Wilymo Francoeur.

Sorry, that just cracks me up. Carry on.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

NO Willie Mo, but they did call up Burroughs
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wily Mo Pena is now up with the Diamondbacks, with Burroughs being sent back to AAA. With the Diamondbacks heading to KC and Detroit, there will be plenty of DH At Bats for Pena this week. And if he hits anything like he did in AAA, he could work himself into a platoon at LF with Gerardo Parra down the road.

More info about Pena at http://www.dbacksvenom.com/.

Comment

HR in his 1st game back.

Comment

power has never been an issue but the dude's a one trick pony.
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                power has never been an issue but the dude's a one trick pony.
                this year he must have changed his approach. I dont think he's ever had power, almost good contact, and walks in the same season, minors or majors. If he has figured out a way to just make contact 75% of the time in the majors, he would be a very useful hitter.

Did anyone see his HR last night? Looked like a line drive into the water in CF.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  Did anyone see his HR last night? Looked like a line drive into the water in CF.
                  That's the Mo Pena Lore. A buddy of mine saw him taking batting practice years ago, and saw him hit a ball out of the park that was still rising when it left. He said he had never seen anything like it. In addition, all the other players watch his BP. Dude has power, totally serious Hall-of-Fame level power, he just doesn't really have much else.

Comment

amazingly, I dont think WMP has ever seen a low and outside slider he didnt think was a good pitch to swing at. You'd swear this was a brand new pitch that he's seeing for the first time.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                      amazingly, I dont think WMP has ever seen a low and outside slider he didnt think was a good pitch to swing at. You'd swear this was a brand new pitch that he's seeing for the first time.
                      He's never seen a pitch he didn't like.

Comment

man that ball was crushed.

Comment

8 whiffs in 15 ab's is pretty impressive as well.
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

8 whiffs in 15 AB is worth the 2 HRs this week. He's going to be DFA'd after IL play is over anyhow for Cowgill

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              8 whiffs in 15 ab's is pretty impressive as well.
                              with the improvement shown at AAA this year, I doubt he'd K more than 30% of the time in the majors. Maybe as low as 25%.

Comment

Working...
                              X