Ian Kinsler Whiffs into an inning ending K/CS double play on a 4-2 count

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Kinsler Whiffs into an inning ending K/CS double play on a 4-2 count

I read a story about it happening back in the late 70's with Tug McGraw pitching, but I have never seen it before, but in an 8-0 game in the third, Kinsler worked the count to 3-2, then took a ball, didn't move, the ump looked down at his clicker thing, and let the game go on. He fouled off the next pitch, the whiffed. All on a 4-2 count. I rewound through it, and there are definitely four balls. I cannot believe this is possible now, but here we go. Humorously, the Angles briefly held up the end of the inning to check to see if they wanted to review the caught stealing call (they didn't), but apparently nobody reviewed the fact that Kinsler walked two pitches before.

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    I read a story about it happening back in the late 70's with Tug McGraw pitching, but I have never seen it before, but in an 8-0 game in the third, Kinsler worked the count to 3-2, then took a ball, didn't move, the ump looked down at his clicker thing, and let the game go on. He fouled off the next pitch, the whiffed. All on a 4-2 count. I rewound through it, and there are definitely four balls. I cannot believe this is possible now, but here we go. Humorously, the Angles briefly held up the end of the inning to check to see if they wanted to review the caught stealing call (they didn't), but apparently nobody reviewed the fact that Kinsler walked two pitches before.
    This is amusing but a little disturbing, too. What if this happened in an important context, like a playoff game, and the guy that should have walked got a game-winning hit? What if no one called attention to it until after the game was over? Do MLB rules address this situation?

Comment

I have no idea if there are any rules about it. I would assume, however, that it would never happen in an important context because people would be paying attention. This was an 8-0 game in the third between a lousy team and a contender. I am a bit concerned that nobody at all seems to have noticed---nothing I have found anywhere about this this morning.

Comment

Hit tip to a random dude on the internet, but apparently this is not that uncommon. Baseball reference season splits have shown at least one plate appearance with a 4-2 count every year since at least 2014.

Complete splits including home/road, lefty/righty, clutch situations, vs. opponent, by month, by role, and many more

Comment

Apparently you have the right to take your base, but not the obligation.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            So you can decline an intentional walk and refuse to leave the batters' box until they pitch to you? That can't be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              This is like splitting 10's at a blackjack table.

Comment

I still can't find any support for this notion that a batter may decline to take first base after four called balls. Where is this rule? As I read MLB rule 9.14, the official must award first base once four balls have been pitched outside the strike zone, and if the batter refuses to take the base, he should be called out.

Comment

Working...
                X