X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corey Seager Out for the Season

Aaaaghhhhhhh

Needs Tommy John surgery

guy in my league had an option to keep him this year at 10-L2 (with option for 15-L1 in 2019), or just 5-O and out

when he sent me his keeper list, I was shocked to see 5-O. he said he didn't think he would last long

most impressive part is he could have landed a pretty sweet package, I suspect, from a rival expecting two bargain years. but he believed he had badly damaged goods, so he didn't want to shop it.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Your league-mate is more plugged in than me, JJ. I admittedly don't own shares in Seager, but this seems out of left field to me. I know he's had some issues in the past, but I was surprised to see he needed TJ. I hadn't heard of any season-ending rumors with Seager. Was this a known risk, even a remote one, with him? Most casual sources didn't seem to be discounting him in the preseason.

Comment

I had no idea before his email.
        if he offered me Seager in a preseason trade, I think I'd have taken the bait.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Looks like the initial plan is for Chris Taylor to slide in at SS for Seager. If that works, there's probably a domino effect where Verdugo stays up with the big club as long as he hits. And maybe Kemp is suddenly not all that expendable.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Gives an opening for Toles as well, if he can ever get off the minor league DL, which keeps getting pushed back. Dodgers have tons of depth.

Comment

So what's the recovery time for a hitter? Is it still about 12 months? Will he be healthy going into next year? I, stupidly I guess, extended him in my NL only league two years. So now I have him at $20C20. Yay. If he'll be healthy next year I suspect I could still trade him to a team looking to next year.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                So what's the recovery time for a hitter? Is it still about 12 months? Will he be healthy going into next year? I, stupidly I guess, extended him in my NL only league two years. So now I have him at $20C20. Yay. If he'll be healthy next year I suspect I could still trade him to a team looking to next year.
                If memory serves, the recovery time is less, because a hitter requires less strain on the elbow. I'd be confident he'd be ready to go to start the 2019 season. Maybe he is too rusty at that point and might need a couple of extra weeks, but I'd be surprised if it took him a full 12 months to return.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  The shortstop is done for the year, but should be fine in the long run. His team, on the other hand…

regarding a table of MLB infielders who returned from TJ surgery on their throwing elbow:

That’s not a lot of recent history — one player in the past eight years — but the average return time is just under 10 months, which for Seager would be during spring training of next year. The only two players from that list who took longer than a year were well into their mid-30s.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks gents.

I was going to look at Gleyber Torres' recovery time but then I realized it was his non throwing elbow.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                    X