Trouble in Dodger Town...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Dodger Town...

Not only is Kershaw becoming mortal, people you've never heard of are playing 3rd. Max Muncy? Kyle Farmer? The unflappable closer is hittable, and the rest of the pen can be no good some nights.

But today, TODAY, the golden child was benched for not hustling...yep, Cody Bellinger was pulled from the game after cruising (in his managers eyes) into 2nd base.

The tension flared on Sunday afternoon when Roberts punished Cody Bellinger. The incident occurred when Bellinger launched a fifth-inning drive into the right-center gap, where the fence resides 421 feet away. The locals call it "triples alley." Bellinger settled for a double. To Roberts' eyes, Bellinger "cruised into second base." Bellinger said he did not want to make the first out of an inning at third while trailing by four runs. To compound the damage, Bellinger was doubled off second soon after.

"There's certain expectations in the way we have to play the game," Roberts said. "When you don't abide by that, then we'll get somebody in there who will."

When the inning ended, Roberts told Bellinger his day was over. The manager did not ask his 22-year-old first baseman for an explanation. Bellinger did not protest. He slipped on a hoodie and watched his team slouch toward another defeat from the dugout railing.

After the game, Bellinger was polite but defiant. He described himself as "always hustling" on the diamond, and indicated he was made into an example for the rest of this sluggish team.

"It just didn't make sense to me, but I get it, as well," Bellinger said. "He's trying to prove a point. For me not hustling, being the young guy, I've got to hustle."

Roberts suggested he had already spoken with Bellinger about a similar situation earlier in the season. There would not be further punishment, Roberts said. Bellinger did not expect this issue to linger.

"I'm going keep playing the way I do," Bellinger said. "I don't think anyone can tell me how to play. I've always played hard."

Personally, I think that it's a lack of Vin...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

seems like the Dodgers need a kick in the......

I suspect the not trying for a triple was borderline, but then also getting picked off was the dealbreaker.

Bellinger has led a charmed life so far, and he doesn't exactly seem to be getting the message yet
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
    X