Trade Upton for Abreu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Upton for Abreu?

I've been offered this trade in a 12 team AL 5x5.

Salaries are both 27. Abreu is a lame duck, Upton can be kept for 2019 only (1 year keepers).

I'm near the bottom in HR right now. Justin doesn't run a lot but I like him as a secondary source of speed.

Team in sig. I would start Jay or RNunez and sit Mauer.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by virgonomic; 04-25-2018, 09:48 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

I like both about the same this year, with Abreu having a strong edge in BA and a slight edge in HRs and Upton having a strong edge in steals, and an slight edge in runs/rbis. Given the overall parity in overall value, the extra year of potentially keeping Upton is a tie breaker for me. Still, if you are all about this year, and need power and BA more, it is a fair swap. In a vacuum, I'd slightly prefer the dozen plus steals advantage and the small advantage in runs+rbis I think Upton gives over the the 3-5 homers I think Abreu will have and his BA advantage.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-24-2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I think that you need both power and speed, but i'd probably go with Abreu. About as close to .300/30/100 yearly as you can get. Upton could give you the extra dozen bags, but he could also hit .250...tough call, but Abreu for me.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I like both about the same this year, with Abreu having an edge in BA and HRs and Upton having a clear edge in steals, and an overall edge in runs/rbis. Given the overall parity in overall value, the extra year of potentially keeping Upton is a tie breaker for me. Still, if you are all about this year, and need power and BA more, it is a fair swap. In a vacuum, I'd prefer the dozen plus steals advantage and the advantage in runs+rbis over the the 3-5 homers more that I think Abreu, and his BA edge.
        Yeah, I agree with this.

Comment

Upton slightly

Comment

Will the White Sox finally trade Abreu? (Probably not)

Other than Moncada and maybe Beef, their lineup is still not good outside Abreu.

Still, I like Abreu just a tiny bit better. If you think J-up will run enough to matter and you need SB more than AVG, then it's fine.

Comment

Abreu by a bit. A really, really small bit.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My first inclination was Upton, slightly, enough that the extra year at reasonable cost matters.
                Abreau so steady though - higher floor.
                One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

So it's 4-3 for Upton so far. Abreu out with flu like symptoms today so I am going to keep an eye on him.

I think it may make more sense to revisit in a month when I have a better idea of what I have with Upton. I like him to have a big year in the heart if the Angels lineup.

We keep player stats if traded to the NL so that isn't a factor.

Comment

Abreu, partially because it means you would be playing Jay over Duffy or Kipnis. I think Jay will help you ROS. Abreu's slight edge (especially in power) plus the trickle down on the lineup puts him over the top.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

4-4

He withdrew the trade offer tonight but would probably still do it.

I realized I would have to bench Mauer as I would have 3 x 1B. Still a huge upgrade power-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                        Abreu, partially because it means you would be playing Jay over Duffy or Kipnis. I think Jay will help you ROS.
                        Are those guys really significantly different from each other? Jay is a 1 category player (AVG). Kipnis has some upside in HR and SB. All 3 have been terrible this year though

Comment

Working...
                        X