No announcement yet.

Thoughts on early dump deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys. I didn't pay close enough attention. I don't own either side of this deal. The Acuna owner was just asking me what i thought about the deal so i decided to start some conversation here.

Trying to read and post while doing 5 different things at work can be tricky!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      And yet if you flip it the other way you can argue that giving up 3+ years of Acuna + ~$100+ of potential auction profit over those years for just 1 year of Blackmon and 1 year of DeGrom is insane from a long term perspective.
      True. I don't play long term, so that affects my reasoning.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        To me that's the kind of insane trade that affects the league competitiveness way too much. Giving two of the very best players for a prospect might be acceptable in some leagues (probably only-type leagues moreso), but in my opinion it's utter nonsense this early in the season.
        With virtually a whole season to go, I hate seeing these types of deals and heavily frown upon in any league I play in.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          With virtually a whole season to go, I hate seeing these types of deals and heavily frown upon in any league I play in.
          I know exactly where you are coming from. And it used to frustrate the hell out of me (hence our notrades league).

But I've come to the realization that it's just how keeper leagues work. If you want to play in a keeper league that's part of doing business. If you want to win, you have to find some dump teams and trade with them.

It doesn't have to be perceived as a terrible thing if you go in with the expectation of that's how that type league works. Just a different mentality.

Comment

To me that's the kind of insane trade that affects the league competitiveness way too much. Giving two of the very best players for a prospect might be acceptable in some leagues (probably only-type leagues moreso), but in my opinion it's utter nonsense this early in the season.

And who rebuilds in mid-April in a 14 team mixed league for crying out loud!!
            I don't play mixed. To me your prices are insane...no offense. I try to answer questions in the context of the game that the posters play.

Comment

I guess I have never been in a position to dump early in this league. But I just think people place WAY too much emphasis on the next big thing. WAY WAY too much. I think Trout's insane rookie year has made fantasy owners think every great prospect will be a game-changer.

Sure Acuna may be a monster fantasy star, but when? 2018, 2019, 2020? Blackmon and DeGrom are studs NOW! I just never play for next year. Others do.
              Every stud player that has ever helped win a league once started as Acuna.

He is a buck. Even if I gamble wrong, he will make huge profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Every stud player that has ever helped win a league once started as Acuna.

He is a buck. Even if I gamble wrong, he will make huge profit.
                I guess the deciding factor is just how good one thinks Acuna will be in the next few years? I read and hear that he is THE next big star. But when? Haven't there been other can't miss prospects who haven't made the leap to superstardom?

Back in early April of 2012 I picked up some dude named Trout while he was in the minors. If i was offered a stud SP for him at that time would i have made the deal? Not sure. This seems similar.
                Last edited by Mithrandir; 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  When possible I do both. For example this year in my keeper league I have Kershaw and Altuve, but I also have Acuna and Robles (argh!)

I think both sides are overstated. You can't play this game by constantly trying to improve for next year. We have one or two in our main keeper league that trade for prospects and cheap contracts every year. And every year they are back in a position to trade for prospects and cheap contracts.

But there is a ton value in having an Acuna type on a cheap contract in a keeper league if you have several bench spots that you can stash him on in the short term. Sure, he may not be Trout, but what if he's Yelich?
                  In my AL league I bought Gleyber for $6 because I think he will help me this year, but is also a good trade chip (though keepers are only for one year). I also took Adames 5 as a reserve.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  This. If I'm dealing Acuna at those values, I need to get league-changing value, which would mean both studs.

Mith - your point about dumping this early in your league is an excellent one. I'm in a league similar to yours, and last year had 7 guys hit the DL in the first month and was in next-to-last place. It took a fair amount of work, but managed to work my way back up to a 2nd place money slot. I found that pretty satisfying, but others mileage may vary.
                  Last year my H2H mixed team has a rough first 3 weeks and the vultures started circling. The team had talent (Edwin, Lemahieu, Yelich, NCruz, Kluber, Strasburg) so I traded Bellinger's rights for Andrus/Paxton/closer, finished the year in 4th and lost in the finals. Dumping early is also dangerous because there is a lot of time for the players you acquire to get hurt, change leagues, be surpassed by better players, etc. There is much less risk making dump deals later in the year.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    In my AL league I bought Gleyber for $6 because I think he will help me this year, but is also a good trade chip (though keepers are only for one year). I also took Adames 5 as a reserve.

Last year my H2H mixed team has a rough first 3 weeks and the vultures started circling. The team had talent (Edwin, Lemahieu, Yelich, NCruz, Kluber, Strasburg) so I traded Bellinger's rights for Andrus/Paxton/closer, finished the year in 4th and lost in the finals. Dumping early is also dangerous because there is a lot of time for the players you acquire to get hurt, change leagues, be surpassed by better players, etc. There is much less risk making dump deals later in the year.
                    Vulture huh I'm the one who dealt for Bellinger and I did dump early...but the team I took over was horrible. I didn't want to risk waiting too long to dump. I play to win but this dumpster fire needed some building

Comment

Working...
                    X