Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on early dump deal

14 team mixed...5x5...300 budget..

Team in 10th place is offering either DeGrom ($56) or Blackmon ($73) for Acuna who is $1 this year, $6 in 2019 and $11 in 2020.

This is the first year in the league for the team in 10th place. And his team isn't that bad. Just some slow starts.

Thoughts?

Is it too early for this type of deal?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Not too early, but I'd wait before dealing what is arguably the best dump chip in years.

Comment

Yeah, I think you need more. Send back a lesser (but still good) 2nd piece and get both guys.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Not too early, but I'd wait before dealing what is arguably the best dump chip in years.
        I agree that Acuna is the best dump chip in years, but my issue is that owners who chase the next big thing rarely win or even compete. I know that salaries are a huge part of keeper auction leagues, but who the hell gives up on April 19th?? I guess I just never go the route of wanting the next "possible" star when I already have a legit stud producing.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I think that you can get a LOT more for Acuna...right now people think that he's going to be a combination of Harper and Trout, so use that to your advantage.

But I do disagree with revo on the timing, I'd deal him before he comes up and depresses his value by potentially having a bad start.

Lots of people "give up" in April, it's actually a good strategy to get the very top prospects, and if you don't win the league, your just another loser.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Yeah, I think you need more. Send back a lesser (but still good) 2nd piece and get both guys.
            This. If I'm dealing Acuna at those values, I need to get league-changing value, which would mean both studs.

Mith - your point about dumping this early in your league is an excellent one. I'm in a league similar to yours, and last year had 7 guys hit the DL in the first month and was in next-to-last place. It took a fair amount of work, but managed to work my way back up to a 2nd place money slot. I found that pretty satisfying, but others mileage may vary.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              14 team mixed...5x5...300 budget..

Team in 10th place is offering either DeGrom ($56) or Blackmon ($73) for Acuna who is $1 this year, $6 in 2019 and $11 in 2020.

This is the first year in the league for the team in 10th place. And his team isn't that bad. Just some slow starts.

Thoughts?

Is it too early for this type of deal?
              It is not too early, but if I owned Acuna I would not settle for one of those. It would take both.

If I am rebuilding I will dump early to get the best value for my players. A full year (or almost a full year) of my X player should net me more than if I wait until the All Star break.

Comment

I will add that if I was dumping I would easily give both of those guys to get Acuna.

Acuna plus 128 bucks at auction, I am in!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  It is not too early, but if I owned Acuna I would not settle for one of those. It would take both.

If I am rebuilding I will dump early to get the best value for my players. A full year (or almost a full year) of my X player should net me more than if I wait until the All Star break.
                  I guess I have never been in a position to dump early in this league. But I just think people place WAY too much emphasis on the next big thing. WAY WAY too much. I think Trout's insane rookie year has made fantasy owners think every great prospect will be a game-changer.

Sure Acuna may be a monster fantasy star, but when? 2018, 2019, 2020? Blackmon and DeGrom are studs NOW! I just never play for next year. Others do.

Comment

I just never play for next year. Others do.
                    When possible I do both. For example this year in my keeper league I have Kershaw and Altuve, but I also have Acuna and Robles (argh!)

I think both sides are overstated. You can't play this game by constantly trying to improve for next year. We have one or two in our main keeper league that trade for prospects and cheap contracts every year. And every year they are back in a position to trade for prospects and cheap contracts.

But there is a ton value in having an Acuna type on a cheap contract in a keeper league if you have several bench spots that you can stash him on in the short term. Sure, he may not be Trout, but what if he's Yelich?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      When possible I do both. For example this year in my keeper league I have Kershaw and Altuve, but I also have Acuna and Robles (argh!)

I think both sides are overstated. You can't play this game by constantly trying to improve for next year. We have one or two in our main keeper league that trade for prospects and cheap contracts every year. And every year they are back in a position to trade for prospects and cheap contracts.

But there is a ton value in having an Acuna type on a cheap contract in a keeper league if you have several bench spots that you can stash him on in the short term. Sure, he may not be Trout, but what if he's Yelich?
                      We have those owners too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

To me that's the kind of insane trade that affects the league competitiveness way too much. Giving two of the very best players for a prospect might be acceptable in some leagues (probably only-type leagues moreso), but in my opinion it's utter nonsense this early in the season.

And who rebuilds in mid-April in a 14 team mixed league for crying out loud!!

Comment

I'm surprised folks are so quick to call this offer not enough. This isn't like trading for one of these guys in 3 months. Mith would be getting almost a full year's stats from Blackmon. It would be tempting to me if I'm in win now mode. Of course, if Mith can get both, by all means, go for it. But a bird in the hand and all. I just traded both Nick Senzel and Willie Calhoun to an early dumper for Joey Votto. I was happy with the deal, and I think Nick may be the best pure hitter in the minors and Willie can rake too. Flags fly forever and all. But again, I'm not saying you don't try to get more if you can. I'm just saying if the market isn't there, it might be a deal I'd consider if I'm all about winning now. Mith almost quit this league before this year, so who knows if he'll even want to do it again next year?

Comment

To me that's the kind of insane trade that affects the league competitiveness way too much. Giving two of the very best players for a prospect might be acceptable in some leagues (probably only-type leagues moreso), but in my opinion it's utter nonsense this early in the season.
                            And yet if you flip it the other way you can argue that giving up 3+ years of Acuna + ~$100+ of potential auction profit over those years for just 1 year of Blackmon and 1 year of DeGrom is insane from a long term perspective.

Comment

I dealt Acuna and Bueller (both 5-S2 until the year after they lose rookie status) for a lame duck Suarez and Harper 41-S2 - in MAY 2017.

I heard a few owners grumbled that I didn't give up any present value. one rival couldn't believe the other guy didn't prefer Lewis Brinson. his key deal was to get Scherzer 39-S1 (who he kept, as I did Harper) with the main "present value" being Taijuan Walker 12 - a borderline keep who is now utterly worthless.

the key here is giving everyone a shot at making their best offer.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X